Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103623)

Playoffs 01-01-2014 06:53 PM

Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
Wade Phillips would like to remain with Texans as defensive coordinator
Quote:

Reached in Dallas where he spent New Year’s Eve with family members, Phillips said Smith “let me know they hired Bill O’Brien. We’re all supposed to come in next week and see what our status is.”

Phillips, whose contract runs through the 2014 season, said he’d like to remain with the Texans as defensive coordinator. However, he admitted the fact that he doesn’t know O’Brien doesn’t favor his chances.

“I don’t know what they’re feeling is, not knowing the guy,” he said. “Usually when somebody gets a job and you don’t know anything, you’re probably not involved. But I don’t know that for a fact...”

eriadoc 01-01-2014 06:55 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
Sorry, Son of Bum. Your defense sucked this year. Any hope we had of the team eking out a win with you as interim HC went away in the first half of your first game. As your Pa said, coaches are hired to be fired.

badboy 01-01-2014 07:03 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
Thanks for memories and have a good life, bye.

Trap_Star 01-01-2014 07:04 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
hey wade...come here, bruh, let me holla at you for a sec....

































GTFOHWTS!

bOODRO87 01-01-2014 07:07 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
I'm so tired of seeing our CB's chase WRs. So long, Pillsbury.

IlliniJen 01-01-2014 07:08 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
No thank you. Our defense was as stale as our offense...the game has passed Wade by.

Honoring Earl 34 01-01-2014 07:10 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IlliniJen (Post 2277545)
No thank you. Our defense was as stale as our offense...the game has passed Wade by.

Yep .... it is getting grandpa to find a movie off netflix via the computer to the bigscreen .

Brisco_County 01-01-2014 07:10 PM

Are you really going to start venting on the guy that brought us JJ Watt and two years of really good defense?

chicagotexan2 01-01-2014 07:16 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
Thanks but no thanks wade.

Texn4life 01-01-2014 07:21 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
The fact that Wade never made adjustments when offenses adjusted to him sealed his fate. I respect this guy so much, but its time to move on.

Corrosion 01-01-2014 07:29 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2277531)
Sorry, Son of Bum. Your defense sucked this year. Any hope we had of the team eking out a win with you as interim HC went away in the first half of your first game. As your Pa said, coaches are hired to be fired.

Yeah they were awful & couldn't force any turnovers.

Thing is they were still "statistically" #7 in total defense & #3 in pass defense .... despite the loss of Cushing & Manning and the Ed Reed debacle as well as the NFL record for fewest TO's forced in a season.

To be honest , I wouldn't mind Son of Bum sticking around another year .... that turnover record was an anomaly and was a big part of their failures. They just didn't have many balls bounce their way.

They were actually pretty good on 3rd down percentages .... 35% which was good for 8th in the NFL.
That pathetic excuse for an offense sure didn't do them any favors either ....


The one thing that does bother me is the high volume of long scoring drives they gave up. Part of that was losing Cushing early in the season. When you take away a guy that talented from any defense they are going to suffer.

You look at the play of the DB's especially Jackson and J.Jo .... they more often than not had good coverage / position and just didn't come away with enough plays made. McCain was pathetic ....


Its not likely this team is playoff bound next year unless they pull off a miracle and find a solution to the QB spot , Im not against Wade being given the year to fix what was broken defensively.

Goatcheese 01-01-2014 07:34 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
A new HC has to have freedom to bring in his own staff. Don't Marciano BOB before he even gets here.

People are off base with this nonsense about the league suddenly figuring out systems in one season that have worked for 20+ years. And not just a team here or there, but every team just suddenly understood and countered Kubiak and Wade. Think about how absurd that sounds.

Which sounds more likely:
A. every team in the league spontaneously adapted as some sort of hive mind
B. the Texans just played and coached poorly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDa6qc93nNs

Texn4life 01-01-2014 07:42 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatcheese (Post 2277568)
A new HC has to have freedom to bring in his own staff. Don't Marciano BOB before he even gets here.

People are off base with this nonsense about the league suddenly figuring out systems in one season that have worked for 20+ years. And not just a team here or there, but every team just suddenly understood and countered Kubiak and Wade. Think about how absurd that sounds.

Which sounds more likely:
A. every team in the league spontaneously adapted as some sort of hive mind
B. the Texans just played and coached poorly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDa6qc93nNs

So the fact that top notch QBs consistently torched Wade doesn't concern you? I mean Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady don't have the kinds of games they did against the Texans against everyone. Could it be our players sucked that much those games? I guess if someone wants to believe it then its possible.

My reasoning for not wanting him back is based strictly on that. He's going to have to go through the Mannings and Bradys and Lucks. I don't have confidence in him to do that. The players play, but the coaches also have to put them in position to do so.

Playoffs 01-01-2014 07:42 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2277566)
To be honest , I wouldn't mind Son of Bum sticking around another year ....

It would certainly be the "odd couple" personality wise. Not sure if that would make for a good balance or a clash. :hmmm:

Goatcheese 01-01-2014 07:59 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texn4life (Post 2277573)
So the fact that top notch QBs consistently torched Wade doesn't concern you? I mean Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady don't have the kinds of games they did against the Texans against everyone. Could it be our players sucked that much those games? I guess if someone wants to believe it then its possible.

My reasoning for not wanting him back is based strictly on that. He's going to have to go through the Mannings and Bradys and Lucks. I don't have confidence in him to do that. The players play, but the coaches also have to put them in position to do so.

So your argument is that the system is completely worthless and outdated because 3 games out of 36 saw elite QBs go off? The system held down plenty of elite QBs over that period, including Manning. I guess the eventual Super Bowl Champion Ravens defense was garbage because Schaub and the Texans hung a fourtyburger on them earlier that season.

The whole team stunk it up this year. That has nothing to do with systems.

Let BOB pick his staff, whether that's Wade or anybody else. He needs to have that freedom without McNair trying to handcuff him with the good old boys club before he even signs his contract.

Texn4life 01-01-2014 08:06 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatcheese (Post 2277598)
So your argument is that the system is completely worthless and outdated because 3 games out of 36 saw elite QBs go off? The system held down plenty of elite QBs over that period, including Manning. I guess the eventual Super Bowl Champion Ravens defense was garbage because Schaub and the Texans hung a fourtyburger on them earlier that season.

The whole team stunk it up this year. That has nothing to do with systems.

Let BOB pick his staff, whether that's Wade or anybody else. He needs to have that freedom without McNair trying to handcuff him with the good old boys club before he even signs his contract.

Never said his system was worthless. I said he failed to make adjustments in game. And I wouldn't say we shut Manning down. We had to sweat it out to win that one game. I really can't think of any ELITE QB that we ever shut down. Brees lit us up, Rodgers lit us up, Manning lit us up twice, Brady lit us up three times.

Were there moments in those games when the defense was ok? Sure, but like I said they eventually made adjustments to what we were doing on defense and we had no answer.

Look, I understand what you're saying but there were just too many big games for me where the defense struggled. I wouldn't be throwing stuff if he was brought back, but I just think its time to move on.

kingtexan 01-01-2014 08:18 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
The league has caught up to his schemes.

He's gone.

Maybe he would want to coach U of H.

Texn4life 01-01-2014 08:20 PM

Re: Wade wants to return as Texans Defensive Coordinator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingtexan (Post 2277629)
The league has caught up to his schemes.

He's gone.

Maybe he would want to coach U of H.

I'll do you one better...... I bet A&M would kill to have him coaching them up after watching that defense this year.

PapaL 01-01-2014 08:26 PM

Just say no to Wade. You don't clean house and leave the steaming pile of garbage in the kitchen.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger