Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103586)

PockyAF 12-29-2013 05:21 PM

O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-te...o-Happy-Valley

cliffs:
  • interview went well
  • really interviewed with 4 teams last year, not 2 (if any really thinks he's committed to college football...)
  • confident he'll get the gig
  • told his coaching staff to be prepared to come with him

Bill O'Brien
Head Coach

Stan Hixon
Assistant Head Coach / Wide Receivers Coach

John Butler
Defensive Coordinator/Cornerbacks Coach

Larry Johnson
Defensive Line Coach

Charles London
Running Backs Coach

Mac McWhorter
Offensive Line Coach

Anthony Midget
Safeties Coach

John Strollo
Tight Ends Coach

Craig Fitzgerald
Director of Strength and Conditioning

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...l-coaches.html

thoughts on the staff?

JB 12-29-2013 05:49 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Bills (Post 2275446)
im glad its not lovie smith but ive read some bad reviews over at patsfans.com about obrien. a lot of pat fans dont think that highly of him.

that may be a good thing. lots of them don't think that highly of Belicheck too I think

TEXANRED 12-29-2013 05:53 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
so we are getting a bunch of college coach's to fill the Texans staff?

BetaV1 12-29-2013 05:53 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
Don't know anything about his staff, but I have no clue how all these Patriots assistants keep getting jobs.

Needless to say, I'm not thrilled about the hire.

CretorFrigg 12-29-2013 05:54 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaV1 (Post 2275452)
Don't know anything about his staff, but I have no clue how all these Patriots assistants keep getting jobs.

Maybe because they're not a sorry, moribund franchise like the Texans? They actually win.

EllisUnit 12-29-2013 05:56 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXANRED (Post 2275450)
so we are getting a bunch of college coach's to fill the Texans staff?

We had a full NFL coaching staff this season, and look what happened. I dont really care if it is all college coaches are not. I just want someone who will hold players accountable, and jump their ass when they dont do their job. If anything else that right there is enough for me to be happy hiring these guys.

PapaL 12-29-2013 06:09 PM

Who is the OC? The Assistant HC?

BetaV1 12-29-2013 06:10 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CretorFrigg (Post 2275453)
Maybe because they're not a sorry, moribund franchise like the Texans? They actually win.

Charlie Weis, Eric Mangini, Josh McDaniels, Romeo Crennel. Truly the names that are synonymous with "winning."

dalemurphy 12-29-2013 06:12 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaL (Post 2275466)
Who is the OC? The Assistant HC?

If I understand the post correctly, he just listed the coaches and their positions at Penn St.... because he supposedly let them know, as a group, he plans to move to Houston and would like them with him.

There would be a number of additional hires and many of them would not take over the identical title... NFL staffs' are larger. I am having fun looking at the bios of some of these potential, new Texan assistant coaches.

amazing80 12-29-2013 06:13 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
Im not for this guy AT ALL. He rode Bradys coat tail for a few years and parlayed that into a job that not a lot of people wanted in Penn St. Sure he helped them through a rough patch, but all he did was make them AVERAGE in a bad conference. The school still had pedigree and brought in enough good recruits to beat up on crap schools and get dominated by better schools. His offensive system is not that great. I will say he is tough and seems to be able to lead guys, but we need a great leader AND an x and o type guy. An innovator who can adapt and hold guys accountable. I just don't think he is that guy.

EVOLVIST 12-29-2013 06:25 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaL (Post 2275466)
Who is the OC? The Assistant HC?

Wiz is coming into interview and they might offer him the OC job, which would be a win I think. He's not HC material. The same with Romeo Crennel as a DC.

That's too much of a college crew, for O'Brian, and back to the same good ol' boy system that mired Kubiak's tenure.

We need a new WRs coach, but I would be sad to see Chick Harris go.

If I'm Bob McNair I'm going to get the best heads in the room and have the work together. We don't choose who we work with at our jobs. Our boss does that. If we want to win now I don't want to look like Penn State next year.

I'm not saying I don't like the O'Brian pick, because I do. I simply don't want another well-meaning yes man (which, true or false, is what this article implies - I'm going with false - fingers crossed).

bah007 12-29-2013 07:04 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
If you trust the guy enough to make him the HC, then you trust him enough to put together his own staff.

TheIronDuke 12-29-2013 07:54 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 2275522)
If you trust the guy enough to make him the HC, then you trust him enough to put together his own staff.

Exactly, we let Kubes do that until he proved he only cared about keeping his friends employed. I'd definitely trust a Belichek disciple over a friggin Shanahanigan.

Seegara 12-29-2013 08:02 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PockyAF (Post 2275434)
http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-te...o-Happy-Valley

cliffs:
  • interview went well
  • really interviewed with 4 teams last year, not 2 (if any really thinks he's committed to college football...)
  • confident he'll get the gig
  • told his coaching staff to be prepared to come with him

Bill O'Brien
Head Coach

Stan Hixon
Assistant Head Coach / Wide Receivers Coach

John Butler
Defensive Coordinator/Cornerbacks Coach

Larry Johnson
Defensive Line Coach

Charles London
Running Backs Coach

Mac McWhorter
Offensive Line Coach

Anthony Midget
Safeties Coach

John Strollo
Tight Ends Coach

Craig Fitzgerald
Director of Strength and Conditioning

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...l-coaches.html

thoughts on the staff?

Will he have his choice on all those positions? I say don't hire him if he's going to bring all his friends. That's something Kubiak would want to do. All those people can't be the best choice available.

Seems OC is missing from his list.

Texecutioner 12-29-2013 08:16 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amazing80 (Post 2275475)
Im not for this guy AT ALL. He rode Bradys coat tail for a few years and parlayed that into a job that not a lot of people wanted in Penn St. Sure he helped them through a rough patch, but all he did was make them AVERAGE in a bad conference. The school still had pedigree and brought in enough good recruits to beat up on crap schools and get dominated by better schools. His offensive system is not that great. I will say he is tough and seems to be able to lead guys, but we need a great leader AND an x and o type guy. An innovator who can adapt and hold guys accountable. I just don't think he is that guy.

I couldn't disagree more. He got great experience coaching with Brady and the preparation that it takes for them to run the great offense they did. Everything they did in that offense was all about preparation and adaptation.

He has the stones of a leader and holds people accountable. He is the anti Kubiak in that regard. I'm super excited for this HC assuming he gets the gig.

Lucky 12-29-2013 08:17 PM

Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs
 
Maybe we should wait until the staff is filled before slamming it?

Or not. Your choice.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger