Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   AJ and WATT Named to Pro Bowl (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103570)

CloakNNNdagger 12-27-2013 10:04 PM

AJ and WATT Named to Pro Bowl

Quote:

Texans T Duane Brown, CB Johnathan Joseph and C Chris Myers were named as alternates for the AFC squad.

The 2014 Pro Bowl teams will be determined through the Pro Bowl Draft held on Wednesday, January 22. Pro Football Hall of Famers Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders will serve as alumni captains, choosing the two rosters.
link

TexansSeminole 12-27-2013 10:08 PM

Re: AJ and WATT Named to Pro Bowl

That's great for AJ and Watt, but in all honesty Brown and Joseph don't deserve to be even mentioned for the Pro Bowl this year.

dream_team 12-28-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansSeminole (Post 2274289)
That's great for AJ and Watt, but in all honesty Brown and Joseph don't deserve to be even mentioned for the Pro Bowl this year.

Brown & Joseph had down years, but I don't see it as a stretch being alternates. Chris Myers on the other hand...

TheMatrix31 12-28-2013 12:30 AM

No, Brown and Joseph weren't very good at all this year. Especially Brown, who I'd describe as being ****ing awful

disaacks3 12-28-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream_team (Post 2274312)
Brown & Joseph had down years, but I don't see it as a stretch being alternates. Chris Myers on the other hand...

One of the best Centers in the league? PFF puts him on their list and his ratings over the year support it.

welsh texan 12-28-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 (Post 2274313)
No, Brown and Joseph weren't very good at all this year. Especially Brown, who I'd describe as being ****ing awful

Brown is another player whom this coaching staff has mishandled with injuries.

Can't really blame him when he was rushed through, especially considering their excuse for using Newton over Harris at RT was that they wanted injury cover for the LT position from their swing tackle.

You also can't discount that we've been letting developed TEs walk for several years now and the LG position has been in decline fly 2 or 3 years next to him.

All in all, I'd say it wasn't a recipe for success but the silver lining, if we accept those points, is that by putting better players around him and handling any injuries to him correctly in future we can hope that he's back to his best next season.

TejasTom 12-28-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disaacks3 (Post 2274315)
One of the best Centers in the league? PFF puts him on their list and his ratings over the year support it.

And here's the link to the PFF Pro Bowl Team: Link

kingtexan 12-28-2013 08:21 AM

Our offensive and defensive stalwarts get recognized again. They deserve it.

Congratulations AJ and JJ for being what this team needs at every other position.

True professionals ...

Playoffs 12-28-2013 09:55 AM

AJ, Watt, Myers, Lechler all deserving. Nobody else should be on that squad.

Best rookie: DeAndre Hopkins. With the league's 2nd lowest WR drop rate behind Larry Fitzgerald, Nuk was clearly our best rookie. Better QB play will show us what else he can do.

Most improved: Brandon Brooks. Brooks will end 2013 top 5 in run blocking by Guards. He needs to focus on his pass blocking now, to get Pro Bowl mentions.

Nobody will put him there, but JJ Watt should be in the mix for DPOY again. His 2012 season shattered all PFF records as the first player at any position to garner a cumulative season overall rating of over 100 (+101.6). JJ is at +103 this season with one game to play. The next highest graded player in his position group is 63% lower. Outstanding effort, again. :clap:

Texan4Ever 12-28-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansSeminole (Post 2274289)

The Pro Bowl tends to favor those players the media mentions over and over again and leaves out players who truly broke out and made an impact at their position (e.g. Jurrell Casey, Oliver Vernon, Evan Mathis ~ Gets overlooked every year despite being the best OG in the NFL IMO). I'm more interested in seeing what the All-Pro team selection looks like.

Playoffs 12-28-2013 08:51 PM

Here’s a by-division breakdown of Pro Bowl representation:
Quote:

NFC West: 19 players — San Francisco (8), Seattle (6), Arizona (3), St. Louis (2).

AFC West: 16 players — Kansas City (8), Denver (5), San Diego (2), Oakland (1).

AFC North: 13 players — Cleveland (5), Baltimore (4), Cincinnati (2), Pittsburgh (2).

NFC North: 12 players — Carolina (5), New Orleans (5), Tampa Bay (2), Atlanta (0).

AFC East: 11 players — Miami (4), New England (4), Buffalo (3), N.Y. Jets (0).

NFC East: 5 players — Dallas (2), Philadelphia (2), Washington (1), N.Y. Giants (0).

NFC North: 5 players — Chicago (2), Detroit (2), Minnesota (1), Green Bay (0).

AFC South: 4 players — Houston (2), Indianapolis (1), Tennessee (1), Jacksonville (0).

Marshall 12-28-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2274751)

Funny how some say only Watt and AJ and others also show Meyers and Lechler as well.

Norg 12-28-2013 11:27 PM

I don't see how any players on a 2-14 team should be pro bowlers

im sure there are other players more deserving then any of ours

Surreal McCoy 12-29-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 2274288)

Good. At least we can finally, hopefully, put to bed all the, '...but this roster is stacked with Pro Bowl talent' guff.

Gotta Know 12-29-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norg (Post 2274845)
I don't see how any players on a 2-14 team should be pro bowlers

im sure there are other players more deserving then any of ours

All the more reason for good/great players to stay far away from the TEXANS.

Even some supposed fans can't recognize the talent of these two individuals. Downplaying their skills and dedication because they happen to play for a dysfunctional organization. It's not their fault they were drafted here. Both are doing their best in a team game to help that team win.

How sad that JJ is stuck for at least the next two years. Even sadder is how AJ has wasted his career. Yes he has made money but would he not have made money playing for a winner?

Think of the extra money he'd have made playing for a decent team in a decent market. He would have been a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. As of now, he should still make it, but some doubt remains.

Houston, where even the best players are dragged under as the ship sinks.

Yup, if I was a player, Houston would be my choice to spend my short NFL career. (NOT)

JB 12-29-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotta Know (Post 2274952)
All the more reason for good/great players to stay far away from the TEXANS.

Even some supposed fans can't recognize the talent of these two individuals. Downplaying their skills and dedication because they happen to play for a dysfunctional organization. It's not their fault they were drafted here. Both are doing their best in a team game to help that team win.

How sad that JJ is stuck for at least the next two years. Even sadder is how AJ has wasted his career. Yes he has made money but would he not have made money playing for a winner?

Think of the extra money he'd have made playing for a decent team in a decent market. He would have been a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. As of now, he should still make it, but some doubt remains.

Houston, where even the best players are dragged under as the ship sinks.

Yup, if I was a player, Houston would be my choice to spend my short NFL career. (NOT)

Bah Humbug!

Gotta Know 12-29-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB (Post 2274956)
Bah Humbug!

Really?

I'd like to know what Houston has to offer that a winning team wouldn't.

Early Sunday games with little national exposure, CHECK
Humiliating losses when playing in prime time, CHECK
Fans who turn on their best players, CHECK
History of mediocrity, CHECK
Could go on but why bother

At least a good/great player gets paid millions. (wait, hmmm: wouldn't it be much better to make millions on a winning team?)

Yup, Bah Humbug

JB 12-29-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotta Know (Post 2274980)
Really?

At least a good/great player gets paid millions. (wait, hmmm: wouldn't it be much better to make millions on a winning team?)

Yup, Bah Humbug

So go follow a different team if you think it's so bad in Houston

htownfan32 12-29-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotta Know (Post 2274980)
Really?

Yup, Bah Humbug

Why are you a Texans fan again?

Austrian 12-29-2013 12:04 PM

edit. wrong thread. Sorry mods.