Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Clowney, then what? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103555)

thunderkyss 12-07-2013 04:51 PM

Clowney, then what?

What are our options?

If we invest our 1st rounder on a QB, what's it look like in the second?

Any interesting FAs coming up?

Brennan & Quiz.... are they in the mix?

bhsman 12-07-2013 04:56 PM

Re: Fixing the OLine: Draft, FA, In-House

If we go with Clowney, I take a second round OT and a third round QB, swapping 3rd and 2nd as necessary. If we go with Bridgewater, I'd like to trade up and grab Brandon Schefft if he's not falling to the #33 spot.

PhilpW 12-07-2013 05:01 PM

I believe (hope) the zone blocking scheme used now is history with our next head coach.

Bleed_Blu_Red 12-07-2013 05:05 PM

I take Bridgewater in the first. If there isn't a OT/OG they like in the 2nd or even 3rd hit the D, then let Quesenberry battle it out with Williams I personally like Ques to win a starting spot next yr. here is a link for top olineman FA's next yr.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2014/fa/ol.html

welsh texan 12-07-2013 05:21 PM

The inclusion of wade smith in that link causes distrust on my part.

Doc seems to think we'd be foolish to rely on Brennan hitting anywhere near his potential given his injury.

I like the idea of quiz to take over at LG, and draft another RT, who can swing, if he gets beat out by Harris then we have our swing so we aren't reliant on Harris to backup brown at LT.

I'm a little worried about Myers at C in anything other than a zone scheme, he doesn't take on DL in our scheme he's all about the second level which may cause huge issues, worried he could look just like he did the forst couple of years after he became the starter.

Is Ben jones really an option at C? Not sure we've seen much of him at that position and thought he was only so-so at guard last season and obv got beaten out this year.

Going back to wade smith, I believe he has a reasonable cap hit which were offloading this offseason which might make us a player in FA on the oline.

Dishman 12-07-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welsh texan (Post 2265051)

I'm a little worried about Myers at C in anything other than a zone scheme, he doesn't take on DL in our scheme he's all about the second level which may cause huge issues, worried he could look just like he did the forst couple of years after he became the starter.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_as...sragdoll-o.gif

The Pencil Neck 12-07-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dishman (Post 2265055)

That will always haunt me with Myers. That was painful to watch.

steelbtexan 12-07-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2265022)
What are our options?

If we invest our 1st rounder on a QB, what's it look like in the second?

Any interesting FAs coming up?

Brennan & Quiz.... are they in the mix?

For me the 1st pick would be Clowney

2nd QB

3rd OT Morgan Moses.

Brisco_County 12-07-2013 05:30 PM

This is what I posted in the thread about the PFF offensive line ratings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisco_County (Post 2265048)
I'm fully convinced that McNair (and Smith by proxy) intends to draft Jake Matthews. Not only does it address our biggest need, but bringing the Matthews family back to Houston further legitimizes the club among fans. You can't discount the marketing value of a draft pick sometimes. It's true that you don't take an RT that high, but they'll move him to LT in a year or two.

I think Duane Brown will be ready for RT in a couple of years. We'll take a guard in 2 or 3 depending on draft depth.

Brisco_County 12-07-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2265057)
That will always haunt me with Myers. That was painful to watch.

Myers could be Superbowl MVP and still never live down that moment. It ranks up there with Rosencopter despite being way less consequential.

Bleed_Blu_Red 12-07-2013 05:34 PM

I'm with you Wade Smith is gone after this yr and maybe Meyers. I was upset with the Williams Pick due to his injury history, I personally like Jones if we put him at C. The oline for me would be Dbo,Jones,Meyers,Brooks,Ques if we didn't get a olineman in the draft. If we do I put the oline as Dbo,Ques,Jones,Brooks,Rookie.

steelbtexan 12-07-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red (Post 2265066)
I'm with you Wade Smith is gone after this yr and maybe Meyers. I was upset with the Williams Pick due to his injury history, I personally like Jones if we put him at C. The oline for me would be Dbo,Jones,Meyers,Brooks,Ques if we didn't get a olineman in the draft. If we do I put the oline as Dbo,Ques,Jones,Brooks,Rookie.

Why not draft the highest rated OG in the 2nd and keep Ques at RT?

Bleed_Blu_Red 12-07-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2265068)
Why not draft the highest rated OG in the 2nd and keep Ques at RT?

That's what I want to do draft Teddy put Ques at RT. I believe that will happen and we get a G to replace Smith in the 2nd or maybe trade back into the first rnd for Antonio Richardson for RT.

bhsman 12-07-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisco_County (Post 2265060)
This is what I posted in the thread about the PFF offensive line ratings.

I think Duane Brown will be ready for RT in a couple of years. We'll take a guard in 2 or 3 depending on draft depth.

We aren't going to draft a right tackle in the top 5 over a franchise QB or blue-chip pass rusher.

Playoffs 12-07-2013 06:07 PM

Everything depends on who the next OC is...

If we switch from ZBS there will be significant turnover.

On performance alone, we need a new LG & RT.

Quessenberry can play, but he has to adjust his body. I'm not sure he's more than a G, though.

I just don't know about Brennan Williams. He may be too injured. He may want to go straight to WWF?

TheIronDuke 12-07-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsman (Post 2265073)
We aren't going to draft a right tackle in the top 5 over a franchise QB or blue-chip pass rusher.

Not to mention going right back and picking more o line in 2 or 3. The o line needs some addressing but we've got way more pressing needs on defense.

SchaubApologist 12-07-2013 08:22 PM

Move quessenberry to LG, and draft future RT at 2.1 & hope brennan williams is healthy enough to compete for RT w the new 2nd round rookie.

This draft is verrrrrrrry deep in Tackles, so we can get a real good one 2.1

Marcus 12-07-2013 08:22 PM

Trade down all the way out of the first round, and get a boatload of seconds.

I'm sick of hearing this "we've got way too much talent" blah blah.

SchaubApologist 12-07-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 2265158)
Trade down all the way out of the first round, and get a boatload of seconds.

I'm sick of hearing this "we've got way too much talent" blah blah.

lol no.

CloakNNNdagger 12-07-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2265082)
Everything depends on who the next OC is...

If we switch from ZBS there will be significant turnover.

On performance alone, we need a new LG & RT.

Quessenberry can play, but he has to adjust his body. I'm not sure he's more than a G, though.

I just don't know about Brennan Williams. He may be too injured. He may want to go straight to WWF?

Lots of cheeseburgers for whomever we keep and bigger stronger for whomever we seek.