Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The RB situation (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103516)

aussie_texan 12-21-2013 10:59 PM

The RB situation
 
Foster = stud but has been hurt and perhaps entering 'old' territory for RBs
Tate is more than likely to leave in FA
Johnson has impressed me as a good change of pace back.

My question is where do you guys rate the RB situation we have and how much importance do you place on it for the draft i.e. early pick or late pick.

Also whats your thoughts on this years prospects???

Personally i wouldn't mind taking a RB in the 3rd if one of Carlos Hyde or Andre Williams is there. I prefer those bigger size backs like lacy, bell, ingram etc.

Playoffs 12-21-2013 11:20 PM

Re: The RB situation
 
Depends on if we stay with ZBS or go to a power or hybrid scheme.

One thing the ZBS seems to give you is many options for RBs at "lower cost". But I can't say until I know what our offense will be.

BigBull 12-21-2013 11:23 PM

If we knew for sure that Foster's back was going to hold up and he was going to be the same back as before the injury I would say pickup a rb in the one of the last two rounds or sign an undrafted free agent. Since there isn't away of knowing I think they should take one in the 3rd or 4th round. I think Melvin Gordon from Wisconsin would be a nice fit with Foster and DJ.


Sent from the future...

bah007 12-21-2013 11:27 PM

Re: The RB situation
 
I really like Antonio Andrews from Western Kentucky. When it's all said and done I think he goes in the 3rd or 4th round. I like LaDarius Perkins (Mississippi St) in the 5th. Also like James Sims (Kansas) and Tim Flanders (Sam Houston St) in the 6th. Isaiah Crowell also intrigues me but his interview has to be amazing.

Not a big fan of taking a back before the 3rd til we know what's up with Foster.

Melvin Gordon announced a few days ago that he was going back to school.

infantrycak 12-21-2013 11:40 PM

Re: The RB situation
 
Jonothan Grimes is back on the roster. He looked real good prior to pulling a dumbass. Hopefully he has learned and is ready to hit the ground running. Foster had to sit and learn to be more disciplined as well.

badboy 12-22-2013 06:20 PM

Re: The RB situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 2272251)
Foster = stud but has been hurt and perhaps entering 'old' territory for RBs
Tate is more than likely to leave in FA
Johnson has impressed me as a good change of pace back.

My question is where do you guys rate the RB situation we have and how much importance do you place on it for the draft i.e. early pick or late pick.

Also whats your thoughts on this years prospects???

Personally i wouldn't mind taking a RB in the 3rd if one of Carlos Hyde or Andre Williams is there. I prefer those bigger size backs like lacy, bell, ingram etc.

I prefer Hyde over Williams as less injuries IIRC and less carries to wear him down. I would consider him IF we go to a more power type O and we get a trade down. We just have so many needs & not sure of Foster's health. I wish TexMex mom would give us an update of how her son is doing. Foster would be good in any O, IMO. If Hyde can turn a 4.5 at combine or pro day that would help his chances.

aussie_texan 12-22-2013 09:12 PM

Re: The RB situation
 
i hope we move to a more power O. you still run some zone blocking but hopefully the overall philosophy is the power O.

El Tejano 12-23-2013 03:53 PM

Re: The RB situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 2272251)
Foster = stud but has been hurt and perhaps entering 'old' territory for RBs
Tate is more than likely to leave in FA
Johnson has impressed me as a good change of pace back.

My question is where do you guys rate the RB situation we have and how much importance do you place on it for the draft i.e. early pick or late pick.

Also whats your thoughts on this years prospects???

Personally i wouldn't mind taking a RB in the 3rd if one of Carlos Hyde or Andre Williams is there. I prefer those bigger size backs like lacy, bell, ingram etc.

The best stiff arming highlights in the draft.

JCTexan 12-24-2013 03:34 AM

Re: The RB situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2272253)
Depends on if we stay with ZBS or go to a power or hybrid scheme.

One thing the ZBS seems to give you is many options for RBs at "lower cost". But I can't say until I know what our offense will be.

This is the biggest question. Keeping Foster is obvious no matter what scheme the offense runs, but I'm not sure how much value Dennis Johnson would have in a power scheme. If the Texans go with more of a power running game I could see taking a RB in the 3rd/4th and another in the 5th/6th round.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2272259)
Jonothan Grimes is back on the roster. He looked real good prior to pulling a dumbass. Hopefully he has learned and is ready to hit the ground running. Foster had to sit and learn to be more disciplined as well.

Are you referring to Cierre Wood or did I miss something with Jonathan Grimes?

infantrycak 12-24-2013 10:48 AM

Re: The RB situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCTexan (Post 2273345)
Are you referring to Cierre Wood or did I miss something with Jonathan Grimes?

Yes I was. Cranial flatulence.

Blake 12-24-2013 11:23 AM

Re: The RB situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 2272251)
Foster = stud but has been hurt and perhaps entering 'old' territory for RBs
Tate is more than likely to leave in FA
Johnson has impressed me as a good change of pace back.

My question is where do you guys rate the RB situation we have and how much importance do you place on it for the draft i.e. early pick or late pick.

Also whats your thoughts on this years prospects???

Personally i wouldn't mind taking a RB in the 3rd if one of Carlos Hyde or Andre Williams is there. I prefer those bigger size backs like lacy, bell, ingram etc.

That is a tough question as nobody knows the future of Foster. I agree that Tate is gone, and I think Johnson is worth keeping around. I also think that not knowing who the head coach will be makes the situation even more cloudy.

As far as the draft goes it seems that there are are plenty of RBs available for late in the draft. Grab 1 late and then see who came out undrafted.

I will say that Kapri Bibbs impressed me the other day against Washington State. Worth a look-see.

beerlover 12-24-2013 11:27 AM

Re: The RB situation
 
Also beleive Texans will replace Tate with a 5th or later draft choice.

bah007 12-24-2013 02:27 PM

Re: The RB situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake (Post 2273416)
That is a tough question as nobody knows the future of Foster. I agree that Tate is gone, and I think Johnson is worth keeping around. I also think that not knowing who the head coach will be makes the situation even more cloudy.

As far as the draft goes it seems that there are are plenty of RBs available for late in the draft. Grab 1 late and then see who came out undrafted.

I will say that Kapri Bibbs impressed me the other day against Washington State. Worth a look-see.

I'm intrigued by Bibbs as well but I'm not sure he is eligible for the draft. He is a sophomore and I'm not sure if he is three years out of high school.

thunderkyss 12-24-2013 03:58 PM

Re: The RB situation
 
As much as this system is supposed to produce RBs, we sure have a hard time finding them. Hopefully the next regime will loosen the leash on the fresh legs coming out of college

NastyNate 12-24-2013 05:21 PM

Re: The RB situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2273502)
As much as this system is supposed to produce RBs, we sure have a hard time finding them. Hopefully the next regime will loosen the leash on the fresh legs coming out of college

We had a potential one in Cierre Wood. I'm all for second chances, and he can be had on the cheap.

bhsman 12-24-2013 08:04 PM

Re: The RB situation
 
We also didn't count on Foster (and to an extent, Tate) getting injured. I'm actually interested to see how Grimes does; I was impressed with him last year during the preseason. Does anyone remember why he was originally cut?

JCTexan 12-24-2013 08:43 PM

Re: The RB situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsman (Post 2273546)
We also didn't count on Foster (and to an extent, Tate) getting injured. I'm actually interested to see how Grimes does; I was impressed with him last year during the preseason. Does anyone remember why he was originally cut?

It was between Grimes and Justin Forsett and the Texans went with Forsett.

beerlover 12-24-2013 08:47 PM

Re: The RB situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCTexan (Post 2273549)
It was between Grimes and Justin Forsett and the Texans went with Forsett.

could have been injury to another position like OL where they had to react & replace all the while expecting to stash Grimes on PS but he was picked up by another team.

htownfan32 12-24-2013 09:01 PM

Re: The RB situation
 
Someone mentioned Kapri Bibbs up the thread, and I gotta say I agree. I watched that game and he impressed me.

Blake 12-26-2013 08:22 AM

Re: The RB situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 2273472)
I'm intrigued by Bibbs as well but I'm not sure he is eligible for the draft. He is a sophomore and I'm not sure if he is three years out of high school.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htownfan32 (Post 2273552)
Someone mentioned Kapri Bibbs up the thread, and I gotta say I agree. I watched that game and he impressed me.

NFL.com article refers to him as a 3rd year sophmore.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-in-30-td-club


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger