Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   NastyNate's mock (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103497)

NastyNate 12-19-2013 08:18 PM

NastyNate's mock

I'm still in love with trading back but I don't think there is much of a bounty this year or a team to trade with. I'm not personally a fan of Bridgewater or Clowney, and with such little time at the position Barr is a project in my eyes. So without further ado:

1. Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo. Some might think I'm reaching here, but Mack is the best OLB in the draft and he'll make me look smart next year. He solves two of our biggest defensive issues, lack of a pass rush and turnovers (forced fumble and pick machine). Mack continually maneuvers around blockers, rarely getting squared up and patty caking. Just watch his game tape against highly rated Antonio Richardson for proof. His effectiveness against the run is another huge plus, and he is tied for NCAA all time TFL leader. I get a Von Miller 2.0 vibe from Mack and he will be an instant contributor.

2. A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama. McCarron has faced criticism about having to have everything perfect to be a successful qb in this league, but simply watch the tape and there's no debating he can't make every throw necessary to succeed in the NFL. He doesn't take negative plays, is a proven winner (36-3) and can help turn around this franchise immediately.

3. JuWuan James, OT, Tennessee. A few others have mocked him in the third and I really like the pick. Shores up a shaky spot and allows Quiz to kick inside to LG.

4. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno state. Sticky hands and a huge frame allow for a dual threat TE. Excellent blocker and can contribute on special teams play as well. Very capable blocker and a reliable outlet for AJ Mccarron. Not the fastest guy on the field but creates mismatches with his size and vertical.

5a. Ryan Carrethers, DT, Arkansas State. I'm hoping he's still here at this point, excellent push and can drive a pile back. Won't be the most productive sack artist but can take up double teams and allow Mack and Watt to feast.

5b. (comp pick for barwin) Marqueston Huff, FS, Wyoming. One of the only bright spots on an atrocious Wyoming defense. Amazing top end speed and hard to get over the top of, Huff will be able to learn for a year before taking over for Manning.

6. Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas. Really flashed in 2011 when Texas had a quality pass rush up front, had 53 tackles and 12 pass breakups this year. I could see him regaining his old form.

7. Greg Blair, ILB, Cinncinatti. Huge value on an otherwise weak ILB class. Allows us to finally eliminate the Sharpton.

WolverineFan 12-19-2013 09:16 PM

Re: NastyNate's mock

Good mock. First off, I commend you for your 1st pick. Obviously we aren't real GM's here, but that's the kind of confidence in a prospect that I like to see when drafting a guy #1. I think it's a reach, but I really like Mack as a prospect and I can get behind the pick.

As for the rest......I don't dislike McCarron. I think he has a lot of the tools that you look for. My problem is that I don't think he has a very high ceiling. He's already at his peak. I see him as a solid starter in the league, but not a franchise elevating talent.

I like James. Should be a solid RT prospect that has the potential to start. Not familiar with Jensen. I hear a lot about Carrethers on this board, but I haven't watched him. Have heard about Huff, but haven't watched him either. Can't hate on a late round CB or ILB. I like the Blair pick more than the Byndom pick.

JB 12-19-2013 09:52 PM

I don't know a lot about any of them, but I've liked what I've seen of McCarron. He always seems to do what it takes to win the game.

beerlover 12-19-2013 10:06 PM

Seem to remember mocking Mack to Texans around #7 before they kept losing week after week, now I would be dissapointed with that pick.

bhsman 12-20-2013 02:48 AM

I'd like Mack as the first pick after a trade down, but maybe not at 1-1.

McCarron was absolutely carried by his team during his entire stay at Alabama. Picking him at #33 would be a complete waste of a pick.

NastyNate 12-20-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsman (Post 2271648)

McCarron was absolutely carried by his team during his entire stay at Alabama. Picking him at #33 would be a complete waste of a pick.

I strongly disagree, McCarron has played the best teams in the SEC and rarely made mistakes with the ball. Comes from a pro offense and is a proven winner. I know you're high on Bridgewater but his footwork is no bueno and he takes way too many sacks for the competition they played the last 3 years.

As for Mack, would you take Von Miller at 1-1 this year if you could? Playmaking ability, not penchant for banned substances.

thetexanator 12-20-2013 08:41 AM

back off nasty nate. khalil mack is my B_ _ _ _.:uchicken:

TexansFTW 12-20-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsman (Post 2271648)

Completely agree.

The biggest Pro for McCarron by most is that he never/rarely lost football games.

My biggest knock is that HE rarely WON the football games.

bhsman 12-20-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NastyNate (Post 2271651)
I strongly disagree, McCarron has played the best teams in the SEC and rarely made mistakes with the ball. Comes from a pro offense and is a proven winner.

He rarely makes mistakes with the ball because he is rarely called upon to win the game due to having that defense, offensive line, and running game to carry him.

If he ends up becoming a very good pro, it will because of qualities that he's never had to show during his college career.

Mr teX 12-20-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsman (Post 2271748)
He rarely makes mistakes with the ball because he is rarely called upon to win the game due to having that defense, offensive line, and running game to carry him.

If he ends up becoming a very good pro, it will because of qualities that he's never had to show during his college career.

I for the most part agree with you i'd like to see more of him with the game on his shoulders...... but he's had his moments. His performances against a stout LSU team loaded with NFL talent come to mind. I know he had a game winning drive in at least 1 of those games & he played damn well against that same team in the NC game....can't ignore that.

I'd love to snatch him up in the 2nd...

badboy 12-20-2013 11:37 AM

Only disagreement I have his first and TE in 4th. Texans very successful with that position in 5th. Starter already on team. I'm fan of many of your guys and have mocked most of them Huff could be a stud and really like Blair; anything after round three and he is a steal. I can't imagine why he is rated so low by ESPN, great stats, revies and plays for a winning team. James does not translate to OG or LT but man what a RT! Good work NN.

infantrycak 12-20-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2271755)
Only disagreement I have his first and TE in 4th. Texans very successful with that position in 5th. Starter already on team.

The only TE the Texans have ever drafted in the 5th is James Casey who can't be characterized as very successful at TE.

Not saying they need a TE in any particular round. I just think they should take one sometime in the traditional 2nd day.

bah007 12-20-2013 12:27 PM

Blair reminds me of Vontaze Burfict without the mental issues. Team leader, fights through blocks, gets to the ball, tackles well. Only thing against him is he is a limited athlete.

I like this draft a lot. A lot of guys in years past were considered "reaches" until it turns out they weren't. If you love a guy you take him. Doesn't matter what the "value" is. It would really suck if there was a future All Pro that you had your eye on but you traded back to get better "value" and somebody else nabbed him in front of you.

badboy 12-20-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2271774)
The only TE the Texans have ever drafted in the 5th is James Casey who can't be characterized as very successful at TE.

Not saying they need a TE in any particular round. I just think they should take one sometime in the traditional 2nd day.

yeah, thanks for correction & should have said 5th or later. I was thinking Graham was a 5th (4th) and Griffin was actually a 6th. As the TE is played in Houston, I think Casey's last two seasons were very successful. My position is I would not take a TE before 5th.

bhsman 12-20-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr teX (Post 2271753)
I for the most part agree with you i'd like to see more of him with the game on his shoulders...... but he's had his moments. His performances against a stout LSU team loaded with NFL talent come to mind. I know he had a game winning drive in at least 1 of those games & he played damn well against that same team in the NC game....can't ignore that.

I'd love to snatch him up in the 2nd...

As an LSU fan, I'd still argue he wasn't the reason they won those games; even this year against a rare 'bad' LSU defense he couldn't challenge the defense downfield and the only conversion of a 3rd and long came on a penalty. His running game and defense (especially after the offensive line seemingly 'gave up' near the end) won those games.

Anyone who seriously argues him as a 1st-2nd round pick is a joke. Sorry.

NastyNate 12-20-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 2271784)
Blair reminds me of Vontaze Burfict without the mental issues. Team leader, fights through blocks, gets to the ball, tackles well. Only thing against him is he is a limited athlete.

I like this draft a lot. A lot of guys in years past were considered "reaches" until it turns out they weren't. If you love a guy you take him. Doesn't matter what the "value" is. It would really suck if there was a future All Pro that you had your eye on but you traded back to get better "value" and somebody else nabbed him in front of you.

Mack is head and shoulders better than Anthony Barr, I still have no idea why draftniks think he isn't. He's the best pass rusher in the Draft including clowney, and he's better at locating the ball carrier and attacking the ball. We'd be the fool for not targeting him.

I really like Blair and truly enjoy the drop in draft value. Gives us a solid ilb in the seventh? I'll take it!

bah007 12-20-2013 03:30 PM

I agree that Mack is better than Barr at this point in time. But, I do think that Barr will be he superior player if he is coached up right.

NastyNate 12-21-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 2271852)
I agree that Mack is better than Barr at this point in time. But, I do think that Barr will be he superior player if he is coached up right.

Not even close. This is a NastyNate projection as of 12/21/2013 at 0215 that Mack will be DPOY and DROY candidate in 2014. Barr will be another bust. Post marked for smart guy ness...

Trap_Star 12-21-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coachk (Post 2272111)
If you want to be in the playoffs year after year, you must not miss on your first selection. It is clear to me the obvious #1 pick for Houston has to be Blake Bortles. I don't think there is anyone with an upside higher than his. He has the size, the mobility, and reads defenses at the line of scrimmage. He is the most pro ready player and clearly the top NFL prospect in this class if he comes out. The Texans cannot afford to miss Blake Bortles. He is a future superstar. Watch: http://youtu.be/ayD9_uCz4K0

call me crazy, but after reading your first 3 posts, I get the sneaky suspicion you like promoting Blake Bortles.