Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   All encompassing Rick Smith thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103436)

djohn2oo8 12-15-2013 02:18 PM

All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
Fire him. Now.

TheIronDuke 12-15-2013 02:23 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
Rick Smith has built such a terrible team. I can't believe how little talent we have everywhere on the field. He is only capable of making first round picks and after that he is completely incapable of finding anything approaching talent. Since this moron took over we haven't gotten anything from a second or third rounder outside of one season from Barwin.

TheMatrix31 12-15-2013 02:30 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
The starting talent on this team is fantastic but the depth management and construction is absolutely awful. If we're going to be dealt catastrophic injuries year after year after year, we need depth.

dream_team 12-15-2013 02:35 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
I hate these all encompassing threads. Why not start an all encompassing Texans thread so that there's only one thread we have to worry about?

TheIronDuke 12-15-2013 02:37 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 (Post 2269272)
The starting talent on this team is fantastic but the depth management and construction is absolutely awful. If we're going to be dealt catastrophic injuries year after year after year, we need depth.

Please name the fantastic talent, especially the talent missing due to injury outside of Cushing or Foster who we will have to assume will not be able to put a full season together.

hradhak 12-15-2013 02:44 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 (Post 2269272)
The starting talent on this team is fantastic but the depth management and construction is absolutely awful. If we're going to be dealt catastrophic injuries year after year after year, we need depth.

His problem has been that he HAD great starting talent and has replaced them with terrible players. I think this team needs an overhaul, get rid of the bad contracts and open up some room for the future.

Texecutioner 12-15-2013 02:46 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2269299)
Please name the fantastic talent, especially the talent missing due to injury outside of Cushing or Foster who we will have to assume will not be able to put a full season together.

Even as an avid Risk Smith basher, he has done pretty well in the first round. Watt, Cushing, Hopkins, and Brown. That's one ROTY and one defensive player of the year in his 2nd season. However, I'm not sure at how much that had to do with Wade wanting those defensive players and Kubiak wanting Brown than it was Smith making these choices.

My biggest problems with Smith is how he handles the cap and how little he knows how to make deals happen in trades and free agency. I don't like his "build only through the draft" philosophy. I've always hated it. I don't think he'll be going anywhere though.

TheIronDuke 12-15-2013 02:49 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2269319)
Even as an avid Risk Smith basher, he has done pretty well in the first round. Watt, Cushing, Hopkins, and Brown. That's one ROTY and one defensive player of the year in his 2nd season. However, I'm not sure at how much that had to do with Wade wanting those defensive players and Kubiak wanting Brown than it was Smith making these choices.

My biggest problems with Smith is how he handles the cap and how little he knows how to make deals happen in trades and free agency. I don't like his "build only through the draft" philosophy. I've always hated it. I don't think he'll be going anywhere though.

I agree with him being good at drafting in the first round, please see my first post in this thread. However, he really sucks at drafting in every other round, which is where depth and/or surprising stars usually come from.

texanhead08 12-15-2013 08:44 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
When Casserly was fired the main gripe everyone had is how he missed on so many 2nd and 3rd round picks. Its just crazy that we hired a GM that might be even worse. Its just crazy that 11yrs in we have had 2 GM's that might be the 2 worst drafting GM's in the league at their time of employment with the Texans.

houstonhurricane 12-15-2013 08:50 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
They should fire him and clean house now. I hate to think of another awful season next year with a new coach and facing the possibility of GM turnover then...more dysfunction could await.

texanhead08 12-15-2013 08:53 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonhurricane (Post 2269544)
They should fire him and clean house now. I hate to think of another awful season next year with a new coach and facing the possibility of GM turnover then...more dysfunction could await.


I agree because firing Rick Smith a year or 2 after hiring a new coach could lead to another coaching change if the GM and the coach aren't on the same page.

disaacks3 12-15-2013 09:02 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
I long for the days of the 2006 draft.

1 1(1) Mario Williams DE NC State
2 1(33) DeMeco Ryans OLB Alabama
3 1(65) Charles Spencer OG Pittsburgh
3 2(66) Eric Winston T Miami (FL)
4 1(98) Owen Daniels TE Wisconsin
6 1(170) Wali Lundy RB Virginia
7 43(251) David Anderson WR Colorado State


Damn!

BigBull 12-15-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disaacks3 (Post 2269552)
I long for the days of the 2006 draft.



1 1(1) Mario Williams DE NC State

2 1(33) DeMeco Ryans OLB Alabama

3 1(65) Charles Spencer OG Pittsburgh

3 2(66) Eric Winston T Miami (FL)

4 1(98) Owen Daniels TE Wisconsin

6 1(170) Wali Lundy RB Virginia

7 43(251) David Anderson WR Colorado State





Damn!


I had almost forgot how good that draft was. Without a doubt the Texans best draft ever.


Sent from the future...

dalemurphy 12-15-2013 09:57 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by disaacks3 (Post 2269552)
I long for the days of the 2006 draft.

1 1(1) Mario Williams DE NC State
2 1(33) DeMeco Ryans OLB Alabama
3 1(65) Charles Spencer OG Pittsburgh
3 2(66) Eric Winston T Miami (FL)
4 1(98) Owen Daniels TE Wisconsin
6 1(170) Wali Lundy RB Virginia
7 43(251) David Anderson WR Colorado State


Damn!

In April of '09, rick smith acquired the following rookies from a much less favorable draft position:

Cushing
Barwin
Quin
Casey
McCain (ruined now but a good player at one point)
AFoster
TJamison

kiwitexansfan 12-15-2013 10:00 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dalemurphy (Post 2269571)
In April of '09, rick smith acquired the following rookies from a much less favorable draft position:

Cushing
Barwin
Quin
Casey
McCain (ruined now but a good player at one point)
AFoster
TJamison

Sorry, when was McCain not an utter disaster?

Good draft though.

I for one endorse Rick Smith as GM of the Texans.

Norg 12-15-2013 10:33 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
rick smith helped build this crappy team he might has well go with this crappy Team

We need a clean Reset

get our cap in good status stockpile some picks and rebuild in 14 and get rdy to make a run in 2015 when the SB is in Houston that's what I would do

ajohnson80 12-15-2013 11:15 PM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
I don't know much about Smith's direction ideas or general goals for the team. I never hear him comment on these sort of things and I have no idea if he just doesn't quite understand how the cap works or is just one of the lazier gms in the league. jjo is the last descent fa signing and he was only good for 1 season. It just seems like he picks whatever player seems best at whatever position of need. I can't give him full credit for any draft he was part of and good because we all know Kubiak and Wade would get their guy first. We need new blood with a clear direction and plan for the future. Morey is a great example of a transparent gm with a clear direction and goal that the fan base can appreciate and get behind.

This is the freaking Houston Texans. We sell out every game and there's a waiting list a mile long for season tickets. Bob needs to get some brilliant minds with innovative ideas and not recycle the same tired nfl names.

Smith needs to go...this is the most important offseason the Texans will have in the next 5 years and i really hope they have their **** together.

bhsman 12-16-2013 12:28 AM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan (Post 2269572)
Sorry, when was McCain not an utter disaster?

McCain was probably the best slot corner in 2011 and a good reason why the defense was so good. Then he broke his foot. :(

Quote:

Good draft though.

I for one endorse Rick Smith as GM of the Texans.
2010 was a really good draft, too; every person from that draft is either a starter in the NFL or a solid contributor. Between the consistent home runs on first round picks and his pick history, I also endorse Rick Smith.

LonerATO 12-16-2013 01:21 AM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by texanhead08 (Post 2269538)
When Casserly was fired the main gripe everyone had is how he missed on so many 2nd and 3rd round picks. Its just crazy that we hired a GM that might be even worse. Its just crazy that 11yrs in we have had 2 GM's that might be the 2 worst drafting GM's in the league at their time of employment with the Texans.

The thing that lows my ind is how Smith has had 8-years to build up depth and there is none on this roster, while Casserly just sucked at the draft outside of 2006.

infantrycak 12-16-2013 02:28 AM

Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by texanhead08 (Post 2269538)
When Casserly was fired the main gripe everyone had is how he missed on so many 2nd and 3rd round picks. Its just crazy that we hired a GM that might be even worse. Its just crazy that 11yrs in we have had 2 GM's that might be the 2 worst drafting GM's in the league at their time of employment with the Texans.

Someone has forgotten Harrington, Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Ernie Sims and then JaMarcus Russell, McFadden, Heyward-Bey and Rolando McClain.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger