Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   New HC candidates (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103329)

Playoffs 12-06-2013 11:52 AM

New HC candidates

Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPN -- Just about everyone figures he’ll return at some point. Owners continue to check out his interest.

Lovie Smith, former head coach, Chicago -- The native Texan led the Bears to a Super Bowl and was fired after going 10-6 last season.

Wade Phillips, defensive coordinator, Texans -- The interim coach took three teams – Denver, Buffalo and Dallas -- to the playoffs as a head coach.

Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, Seattle -- Before running the Seahawks’ offense and coaching Russell Wilson, he was the coordinator at Minnesota and Green Bay.

Gus Malzahn, head coach, Auburn -- The native Texan has been a head coach for two seasons, but he helped Auburn win a national title as offensive coordinator.

Bill O’Brien, head coach, Penn State -- The former New England assistant under Bill Belichick has done a solid job under difficult circumstances.

Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Arizona -- He’s got 15 years of NFL coaching experience, and he’s doing an outstanding job with the Cardinals’ defense.

Pete Carmichael, offensive coordinator, New Orleans -- This is his eighth season with the Saints, and they’ve had one of the league’s most prolific offenses.

David Shaw, head coach, Stanford -- The former NFL assistant is so hot right now he can almost have his pick of jobs if he wants to move.

Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, San Francisco -- The former Texans’ assistant excelled under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and followed him to the 49ers.

Raymond Horton is the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. He was an assistant coach for the Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, and Pittsburgh Steelers. 2011, Horton was defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals. 2013, Horton was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

Mr teX 12-06-2013 11:53 AM

Re: New HC candidates

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2263982)
Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPN -- Just about everyone figures he’ll return at some point. Owners continue to check out his interest.

Lovie Smith, former head coach, Chicago -- The native Texan led the Bears to a Super Bowl and was fired after going 10-6 last season.

Wade Phillips, defensive coordinator, Texans -- The interim coach took three teams – Denver, Buffalo and Dallas -- to the playoffs as a head coach.

Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, Seattle -- Before running the Seahawks’ offense and coaching Russell Wilson, he was the coordinator at Minnesota and Green Bay.

Gus Malzahn, head coach, Auburn -- The native Texan has been a head coach for two seasons, but he helped Auburn win a national title as offensive coordinator.

Bill O’Brien, head coach, Penn State -- The former New England assistant under Bill Belichick has done a solid job under difficult circumstances.

Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Arizona -- He’s got 15 years of NFL coaching experience, and he’s doing an outstanding job with the Cardinals’ defense.

Pete Carmichael, offensive coordinator, New Orleans -- This is his eighth season with the Saints, and they’ve had one of the league’s most prolific offenses.

David Shaw, head coach, Stanford -- The former NFL assistant is so hot right now he can almost have his pick of jobs if he wants to move.

Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, San Francisco -- The former Texans’ assistant excelled under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and followed him to the 49ers.

Any 1 of the bolded will do for me.....

qqert 12-06-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2263982)

that would be my choice.

Playoffs 12-06-2013 11:57 AM

Most interested in these guys at this point...

Quote:

Bleed_Blu_Red 12-06-2013 12:00 PM

Also

Bengals D coordinator Mike Zimmer- has coached top 10 ranked defenses when he’s used a 3-4 scheme and a 4-3 scheme.

A Wild Card would be Jay Gruden he has been a guy a lot of teams have looked at.

IlliniJen 12-06-2013 12:01 PM

Hear me now and believe me later...it's going to be Lovie Smith. I don't think McNair will take a chance on any college or non-head coach NFL coaches. He thinks solving the Texans' issues is a plug-and-play approach with a seasoned NFL HC...he doesn't think there are personnel problems. This is very worrisome.

Mr. White 12-06-2013 12:01 PM

Ray Horton's the top guy on my list. I've read that McNair is a big fan of the Rooney model at Pittsburgh and Horton comes from that mold.

I also think that McNair's gonna go defense this time judging from his remarks at the press conference.

The Pencil Neck 12-06-2013 12:01 PM

From the press conference, it really sounds like guys without HC (or NFL) experience would only be considered as last resorts.

JCTexan 12-06-2013 12:01 PM

Bob Mcnair said he prefers a guy with NFL Head Coaching experience. So I guess that narrows it down to the Jon Gruden, Lovie Smith, Bill Cowher, Wade Phillips. Who are some other guys with NFL HC experience that could be available?

Bleed_Blu_Red 12-06-2013 12:02 PM

Bevell or O'Brien would be nice.

The Pencil Neck 12-06-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCTexan (Post 2264006)
Bob Mcnair said he prefers a guy with NFL Head Coaching experience. So I guess that narrows it down to the Jon Gruden, Lovie Smith, Bill Cowher, Wade Phillips. Who are some other guys with NFL HC experience that could be available?

Billick
Jack Del Rio (this is the one that scares me)

Bleed_Blu_Red 12-06-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. White (Post 2264004)
Ray Horton's the top guy on my list. I've read that McNair is a big fan of the Rooney model at Pittsburgh and Horton comes from that mold.

I also think that McNair's gonna go defense this time judging from his remarks at the press conference.

Horton has turned the Browns D into a Monster.

Playoffs 12-06-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. White (Post 2264004)
Ray Horton's the top guy on my list...

You're right...

Raymond Horton is the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. He is also a former cornerback in the National Football League for the Cincinnati Bengals and the Dallas Cowboys.
  • He later was an assistant coach for the Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
  • On February 9, 2011, Horton was named defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals.
  • On January 18, 2013, Horton was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

Mr. White 12-06-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IlliniJen (Post 2264003)
Hear me now and believe me later...it's going to be Lovie Smith. I don't think McNair will take a chance on any college or non-head coach NFL coaches. He thinks solving the Texans' issues is a plug-and-play approach with a seasoned NFL HC...he doesn't think there are personnel problems. This is very worrisome.

Isn't Lovie a 4-3 guy? I'd want to go with someone that wouldn't overhaul the defense.

Scooter 12-06-2013 12:06 PM

i'm with jen that lovie is probably the guy mcnair wants. the first thing that i thought of with that name though is kubiak and sherman. will wade and lovie work well enough together? a coordinator and head coach who both work the same side of the ball with different systems and philosophies.

The Pencil Neck 12-06-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. White (Post 2264015)
Isn't Lovie a 4-3 guy? I'd want to go with someone that wouldn't overhaul the defense.

Our personnel aren't classic 3-4 personnel. I think we'll fit better with a 4-3 DC than with most 3-4 DCs.

Most standard 3-4 DCs are going to have to address the total lack of a 3-4 NT.

htownfan32 12-06-2013 12:09 PM

I think it'll be Lovie, but if it was gonna be a college guy I want Malzahn.

TheIronDuke 12-06-2013 12:09 PM

When we get a HC, he better be able to bring a staff with him. I'd be pissed if we bring a good HC in and make him keep dumbass Phillips and old loser Marciano.

chicagotexan2 12-06-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Lovie is a good coach and how many injuries to Cutler did his teams struggle through? He's not my top choice, but he's not the worst either. At this point though I'm sick and tired of thinking 'at least this guy is not as bad as the previous guy'. I want someone to lead this team who will be great.

I'm hoping for Shaw, Bevell & Zimmer.

PapaL 12-06-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

We don't have 4 LBs as is to run the current 3-4. A switch a 4-3 means Clowney is our pick and the Tampa 2 is our future.