Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Houston '93: A Football Life (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103312)

Vance87 12-05-2013 05:58 PM

Houston '93: A Football Life
 
I'm definitely tuning in to this.

I was merely a kid back then and watched them almost every week but my dad was very much more into the Oilers than I was, obviously. I'm sure he'll be watching it as well.

Can any of you older gents that experienced it weigh in on that team and that season?

Lurvinator11 12-05-2013 06:03 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
What time and channel is it coming on?

StarStruck 12-05-2013 06:29 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 (Post 2262342)
What time and channel is it coming on?

I can't remember if its a Monday or Tuesday, but check the NFL Network. I record all of the episodes so that I don't miss in case I'm away or forget.

Mari-OWNED! 12-05-2013 06:33 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Tuesday 12/10 8pm on NFL Network

leebigeztx 12-05-2013 06:52 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
That 93 and 94 team were superbowl bound. I feel they were the type of team thst couldve beaten dallas. They had the qb,run game,and d line. No way they shoildve lost to buffalo nor kc the next season.

StarStruck 12-05-2013 06:52 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! (Post 2262358)
Tuesday 12/10 8pm on NFL Network

Thanks. I was trying to recall if Life and Backstory came on the same night.

Double Barrel 12-05-2013 07:08 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Thanks for posting this, Vance! I have been meaning to do it, but kept forgetting.

I DVR all of the Football Life episodes. Excellent show by NFL Films, and they cover everything from coaches and players to concepts (i.e. forward pass) and seasons like the '93 Oilers.

I look forward to this one. Should be very cool to relive that season, especially when it came off the 35-3 debacle. I still have a Houston Chronicle (or maybe Post) headline that reads "From Choke to Joke" when the Oilers started the season at 1-4. Nobody expected them to win 11 in a row to finish that season 12-4.

Side note: I was at the last game vs. the Jets when Gilbride got sucker punched by Buddy Ryan. We did not know it happened until listening to the radio on the way home. That was friggin' nuts!

infantrycak 12-05-2013 07:27 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leebigeztx (Post 2262374)
That 93 and 94 team were superbowl bound. I feel they were the type of team thst couldve beaten dallas. They had the qb,run game,and d line. No way they shoildve lost to buffalo nor kc the next season.

I think you mean 92 and 93. The 94 team went 2-14.

Not sure how you can say they would or could have beaten Dallas other than any given Sunday. Dallas had a QB, run game and dline also. In fact Dallas was substantially better both at rushing and rush D plus they weren't handing out INTs like candy.

1992 Dallas didn't just beat the team that beat Houston, they destroyed them.
1993 Dallas handily beat the Bills who handily beat the Chiefs who beat Houston.

Not seeing it.

Norg 12-05-2013 07:31 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
apperantly half the team was on blow and were outta there minds LOL

Showtime100 12-05-2013 07:32 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Quote:

1993 Dallas handily beat the Bills who handily beat the Chiefs who beat Houston............
..........who handily beat the Chiefs (reg season). I need a ruling here. :D

RULING SAYS: Playoff wins trump reg season wins. :(

Giant Tiger 12-05-2013 08:37 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Not to get too negative here, but; I remember being ticked off at the Kansas City Chiefs later in the year (before the playoffs). They got blown out by the Vikings something like 30-10. IIRC, had they won, the Oilers would have finished first on tie-breakers. Kind of made the Oilers win in San Francisco meaningless IMO. On top of that the Chiefs didn't look so good in the wildcard game. I expected a fairly easy playoff win at home & when that didn't happen, I was fuming :pissed:

HouTx11 12-05-2013 08:45 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
That 93 team had it all, great defense, top notched passing game, and something that previous Oiler teams lacked to this extent: An awesome running game! They were balanced!

When they beat the 49ers at Candlestick I thought that they would not be denied the SB. When it was determined that KC would play the Oilers in the Divisional game I marked that as a win right away, even if they had Montana. The pain of losing like they did to the Bills and Broncos I felt surely would compel the Oilers to finally rid themselves of their past demons and get the job done this time! 11 game winning streak, they were on FIRE!!!

infantrycak 12-05-2013 09:25 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giant Tiger (Post 2262489)
On top of that the Chiefs didn't look so good in the wildcard game. I expected a fairly easy playoff win at home & when that didn't happen, I was fuming :pissed:

I was at the KC playoff game. Did anyone else here go?

Lucky 12-05-2013 09:55 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2262714)
I was at the KC playoff game. Did anyone else here go?

I was there with a SRO ticket. Really thought that was our Super Bowl year. I was going to do whatever I could to buy a ticket. Wasn't necessary after Montana took control.

Vance87 12-05-2013 09:56 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Houston 2013 will be on TV 20 years from now.

Thorn 12-05-2013 10:03 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
I will DVR this for sure.

DBCooper 12-05-2013 11:32 PM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2262397)
I think you mean 92 and 93. The 94 team went 2-14.

Not sure how you can say they would or could have beaten Dallas other than any given Sunday. Dallas had a QB, run game and dline also. In fact Dallas was substantially better both at rushing and rush D plus they weren't handing out INTs like candy.

1992 Dallas didn't just beat the team that beat Houston, they destroyed them.
1993 Dallas handily beat the Bills who handily beat the Chiefs who beat Houston.

Not seeing it.

I'm with you. That Dallas team was one of the best ever.

Would have been great to have an all Texas Super Bowl though.

sandmanx 12-06-2013 12:00 AM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2262714)
I was at the KC playoff game. Did anyone else here go?

I was there in the upper deck. All I can really remember now is what a disappointment it was that day. I also remember that season during the 1-4 start that if replay was around then they would have won when played SD. I think it was Haywood Jefferies had a touchdown with 2 feet in called out, which if the rest of the season played out the same, they would have been first seed. Oh well, ancient history now and the city is still no closer to a Super Bowl 20 years later.

eriadoc 12-06-2013 12:04 AM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Those two years' Oilers team played as well as any team I have ever seen play, but never put a full game together in the playoffs. The defense was legitimate, the receivers were uncoverable as a group, and Moon was deadly accurate. The '93 team started turning things around when they found a running game with Gary Brown. But true to form, they dialed up a choke job in the playoffs.

I've set it to record, but I'll probably curse as much as I smile. Seems the Texans are picking up on the same track. Just once in my life I want a freakin' Houston NFL team to dominate front to back and win a Super Bowl.

infantrycak 12-06-2013 12:20 AM

Re: Houston '93: A Football Life
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2262844)
I was there with a SRO ticket. Really thought that was our Super Bowl year. I was going to do whatever I could to buy a ticket. Wasn't necessary after Montana took control.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandmanx (Post 2263484)
I was there in the upper deck. All I can really remember now is what a disappointment it was that day. I also remember that season during the 1-4 start that if replay was around then they would have won when played SD. I think it was Haywood Jefferies had a touchdown with 2 feet in called out, which if the rest of the season played out the same, they would have been first seed. Oh well, ancient history now and the city is still no closer to a Super Bowl 20 years later.

I was 4 rows back on the 50. Had just moved to Houston a few months earlier and a guy took me to the game. I was still a Cowboys fan but wanted the Oilers to win because I wanted to see an all Texas Super Bowl. Would have been cool, but alas.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger