Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   What does Brooks Reed Do? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103260)

TheIronDuke 12-02-2013 09:34 AM

What does Brooks Reed Do?

GP:16 - Tackles (A+T):45 - Sacks:6 - FF: 0- FR: 2 - PD: 3- STF: 1

GP:12 - Tackles (A+T):27 - Sacks:2.5 - FF: 1- FR: 0 - PD: 3- STF: 3

GP:12 - Tackles (A+T):41 - Sacks:1 - FF: 0- FR: 0 - PD: 1- STF: 4

Is this the stat line of someone doing well in a Wade Phillips scheme as a 3-4 OLB? Some posters say that he's not supposed to get sacks and he's only supposed to be a contain guy. If so, is he doing his job? Is the fact that he's forced one turnover his entire career an issue? Should he be upgraded this offseason or is this someone we can just move forward with and wait to upgrade later? Edited just to say, he's never had a pick so I didn't include that in his stats.

pbat488 12-02-2013 09:36 AM

Re: What does Brooks Reed Do?

http://bobcesca.thedailybanter.com/f.../09/BobBob.jpg

TejasTom 12-02-2013 09:37 AM

He makes stupid penalties on 3rd downs when we have gotten a stop.

nero THE zero 12-02-2013 09:40 AM

What's an "STF"?

Brisco_County 12-02-2013 09:41 AM

Of all the personnel that should be upgraded in the offseason, Brooks Reed is low on the list.

Playoffs 12-02-2013 09:43 AM

It's not what he does, it's more what he doesn't do... and that's fit in this defensive scheme. He's a misfit toy.

TejasTom 12-02-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nero THE zero (Post 2260369)
What's an "STF"?

Stuffs, also tackle for loss not including sacks.

HOU-TEX 12-02-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TejasTom (Post 2260368)
He makes stupid penalties on 3rd downs when we have gotten a stop.

That was a bogus call if you ask me. Yes, he did hit pansy boy in the head, but it was totally incidental. Not sure how anyone could've avoided that hit with pansy boy being thrown right at him.

As far as what Reed does? He runs around the field with flowing locks?

TheIronDuke 12-02-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisco_County (Post 2260371)
Of all the personnel that should be upgraded in the offseason, Brooks Reed is low on the list.

I think I agree but then I look at defensive needs which I think are NT and ILB, OLB, and CB/S. I wonder if he'd finally be moved to ILB and then we can get a better OLB which would kill two birds with one stone. But then again, if we keep Wade, is Brooks having the production commensurate with what we should expect from this position? I just wanted to get a little discussion going here on him since he's been here 3 years and I certainly feel like he doesn't really do anything to help the defense, but then again I'm not as well versed in the game as a lot of posters here.

Rey 12-02-2013 09:53 AM

I'm not a big fan of either olb. But at least merciless does SOMETHING ( not enough considering where he plays)...but Reed to me is a guy who should be doing more.

I'm not sure it's all on them though. Coaching and coverage hurt them some as well.

Not sure why this team is so ****ing reluctant to give other guys a shot.

Rey 12-02-2013 09:58 AM

I'm not sure why people have this automatic assumption that reed inside will work. I've disagreed with that from the start. I think it'd be an awful fit. I don't think he is nearly sudden enough to play inside and he doesn't fight off blocks too well either.

I see him inside as being a big time weakness and he is better suited on the edge than inside. Really, he should probably gain weight and bump down to DE.

deucetx 12-02-2013 10:00 AM

Honestly, Reed moving inside does little. His coverage skills are lacking more than I first believed. So basically he wouldn't be any different than any of our other ILB's (other than the obvious). He brings nothing special to the table. He's just an average player all around and moving him inside wouldn't change anything about that. They tried him there in camp and most likely saw something that made them feel he wouldn't be the answer there and I think his play is showing exactly that.

Mercilus has been decent but not showing first round ability thus far. But as Rey stated, at least he has shown something. Reed hasn't shown one iota of anything at this point except some ability to set the edge. This isn't something overly complicated so you would like a bit more out of a starter than just setting the edge.

WolverineFan 12-02-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2260393)
I'm not sure why people have this automatic assumption that reed inside will work. I've disagreed with that from the start. I think it'd be an awful fit. I don't think he is nearly sudden enough to play inside and he doesn't fight off blocks too well either.

Exactly how I've felt about it. I've never understood the hype around this particular position change.

When the coaches said Reed was the second best ILB on the team I didn't take it as a compliment to Reed, but an indictment on the rest of our ILB's. It seems a lot of people took it the other way.

Playoffs 12-02-2013 10:12 AM

Reed is solidly 40th/40 3-4 OLBs by PFF, with a cumulative overall rating -17.6. The next lowest rating is -8.6.

His pass rush rating makes up the majority of his poor grade... which is one spot below Whitney Mercilus' rating. :hankpalm:

WolverineFan 12-02-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2260401)
Reed is solidly 40th/40 3-4 OLBs by PFF, with a cumulative overall rating -17.6. The next lowest rating is -8.6.

His pass rush rating makes up the majority of his poor grade... which is one spot below Whitney Mercilus' rating. :hankpalm:

The problem is he is being graded by a modern 3-4 metric. Most teams that run a 3-4 rely on their D-Line to cover gaps and the LB's to pass rush. Wade does the opposite. We really do run a 5-2.

Not trying to say Reed is great, but his rating is pushed lower because of a lack of pass rush and he doesn't rush nearly as often as guys like Woodley/Worilds (Steelers) or Smith/Brooks (49ers).

badboy 12-02-2013 10:17 AM

2014 is his last contract year & our needs are too many to replace now.

Rey 12-02-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2260409)
2014 is his last contract year & our needs are too many to replace now.

I disagree.

I think Reed could be replaced with a good low draft pick, cheep free agent or even an udfa.

htowntexans1985 12-02-2013 10:30 AM

But I thought he was our very own Clay Matthews. :kitten:

cstyle42 12-02-2013 10:32 AM

Get chance after chance to prove himself like David Carr, Matt Schaub and Gary Kubiak until he ultimately embarrasses himself and the rest of the city...

TEXANRED 12-02-2013 11:01 AM

He completes the 53 man roster.