Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Sumlin agrees to 6 year deal with TAMU (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103236)

htownfan32 11-30-2013 01:52 PM

Sumlin agrees to 6 year deal with TAMU

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...to-6-year-deal

So, I heard USC was better than TAMU?

Texian 11-30-2013 02:06 PM

Re: Sumlin agrees to 6 year deal with TAMU

Quote:

Originally Posted by htownfan32 (Post 2258966)

It may be but the PAC12 is not better than the SEC. Did A&M get Franchione'ed AGAIN? but this time A&M will have Franchione'ed A&M.

steelbtexan 11-30-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texian (Post 2258975)
It may be but the PAC12 is not better than the SEC. Did A&M get Franchione'ed AGAIN? but this time A&M will have Franchione'ed A&M.

Time will tell

I hope this removes Sumlin from the Texans HC talk.

dtran04 11-30-2013 02:08 PM

Saw on twitter that A&M was afraid of losing him to the Texans, not USC.

Texian 11-30-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtran04 (Post 2258978)
Saw on twitter that A&M was afraid of losing him to the Texans, not USC.

Consider the sources. If true, the only good news derived from this is McNair would be considering college coaches and that would mean David Shaw and Jimbo Fisher could be in play.

TexansSeminole 11-30-2013 02:41 PM

That's great for TAMU.

Dan B. 11-30-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htownfan32 (Post 2258966)

USC has been pretty good under Orgeron. Wouldn't surprise me if they stick with him, especially if they beat UCLA.

badboy 11-30-2013 02:52 PM

Man that is great news! signed Gary Kubiak

bhsman 11-30-2013 02:57 PM

All about the Ray Horton train, toot toot.

revan 11-30-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texian (Post 2258986)
Consider the sources. If true, the only good news derived from this is McNair would be considering college coaches and that would mean David Shaw and Jimbo Fisher could be in play.

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncsta...09644.jpg?ve=1

Playoffs 11-30-2013 03:21 PM

Better to have him here than in Southern Cal.

Nice job, alums.

Texecutioner 11-30-2013 06:54 PM

He'll be out of A&M in two years. Book it.

Texan_Bill 11-30-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2259086)
He'll be out of A&M in two years. Book it.

Maybe... But it certainly won't be USC. That said, it's pretty dumb to say "book it" when you don't know the man, his family and his heart are at. Maybe in a year and a half A&M ups the ante even more. You never know.

Than again, maybe you're right but again it's dumb to assume "book it"!

Texecutioner 11-30-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2259093)
Maybe... But it certainly won't be USC. That said, it's pretty dumb to say "book it" when you don't know the man, his family and his heart are at. Maybe in a year and a half A&M ups the ante even more. You never know.

Than again, maybe you're right but again it's dumb to assume "book it"!

That's my prediction. I think he is a little foolish not to "cash in" now with the up coming off season while he is one of if not the hottest name on the market for college football coaches. Hell, some are even considering him for the NFL when he has literally no experience at all, and very little as a HC of a big time program. Manziel leaves this off season and he possibly have a down year or two. Who knows. If he has a less than spectacular season or two, his popularity as a hot coaching candidate will die rather quickly just like it does with a lot of HC's. I'm actually pretty surprised that he's not cashing in while the gettin is good.

I don't have the know the man either. I can make assumptions based on history and what I've seen tons of coaches do in similar situations. Texas A&M isn't some program that HC's are dying to be at, nor is it a program that I feel like Sumlin will embrace to the point that he'll keep passing up on other gigs with higher profile jobs. Could I be wrong? Sure, but I don't see Sumlin being there pass the next two seasons.

bah007 11-30-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2259095)
That's my prediction. I think he is a little foolish not to "cash in" now with the up coming off season while he is one of if not the hottest name on the market for college football coaches. Hell, some are even considering him for the NFL when he has literally no experience at all, and very little as a HC of a big time program. Manziel leaves this off season and he possibly have a down year or two. Who knows. If he has a less than spectacular season or two, his popularity as a hot coaching candidate will die rather quickly just like it does with a lot of HC's. I'm actually pretty surprised that he's not cashing in while the gettin is good.

I don't have the know the man either. I can make assumptions based on history and what I've seen tons of coaches do in similar situations. Texas A&M isn't some program that HC's are dying to be at, nor is it a program that I feel like Sumlin will embrace to the point that he'll keep passing up on other gigs with higher profile jobs. Could I be wrong? Sure, but I don't see Sumlin being there pass the next two seasons.

Looks to me like Sumlin did cash in. That's what the extension is. He's just cashing in at A&M instead of USC.

Texecutioner 11-30-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 2259101)
Looks to me like Sumlin did cash in. That's what the extension is. He's just cashing in at A&M instead of USC.

Talk to me in two years. He won't be there. I heard Longhorn fans say the same thing when I told them Muschamp would leave soon if he didn't become the HC at Texas. He wasn't going to keep turning down big opportunities and he didn't. Sumlin won't either if he continues to have success. He'll just continue to build his price tag and will look for greener pastures.

bah007 11-30-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2259103)
Talk to me in two years. He won't be there. I heard Longhorn fans say the same thing when I told them Muschamp would leave soon if he didn't become the HC at Texas. He wasn't going to keep turning down big opportunities and he didn't. Sumlin won't either if he continues to have success. He'll just continue to build his price tag and will look for greener pastures.

Don't disagree with you. Just disagree with the assertion that he didn't use his newfound popularity to cash in.

He may not have upgraded to a better job, but he did manage to squeeze some more cash out of A&M.

Playoffs 11-30-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

...He'll just continue to build his price tag and will look for greener pastures.

Which pasture is greener than the SEC's?

Texian 11-30-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure he will be a hot commodity in two years. His goose that laid his golden egg will have been long gone and his defense stinks.

FirstTexansFan 12-01-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texian (Post 2259112)
I'm not sure he will be a hot commodity in two years. His goose that laid his golden egg will have been long gone and his defense stinks.

That's my issue, I believe he has a plug and play offense, and they'll find a quarterback to run the system successfully. But if he continues with the type of defense he's brought so far, and it goes back to his time at UofH, they'll be also rans.