Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Play GM (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103201)

amazing80 11-27-2013 08:36 AM

Play GM

http://overthecap.com/calculator/

Amazing tool and shows all you "gms" how we are with the cap. It puts to rest that were in cap hell. Play around, cut some guys and see how YOU would improve our cap.

Exascor 11-27-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazing80 (Post 2258054)

Amazing tool and shows all you "gms" how we are with the cap. It puts to rest that were in cap hell. Play around, cut some guys and see how YOU would improve our cap.

Love that site. The only input I have is that we should absorb the full dead money hit in 2014 for all the guys that are cut (like Schaub). No "June 1st" cuts. Eat it now and use the extra room to re-sign Watt in 2015.

bah007 11-27-2013 01:50 PM

Re: Play GM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exascor (Post 2258056)
Love that site. The only input I have is that we should absorb the full dead money hit in 2014 for all the guys that are cut (like Schaub). No "June 1st" cuts. Eat it now and use the extra room to re-sign Watt in 2015.

Yea no kidding.

Look at this team...

And now imagine it without Watt...

TheMatrix31 11-27-2013 02:47 PM

I don't know much about the cap, but the first things I looked for were cutting Brice McCain, Derek Newton, and Randy Bullock.

badboy 11-27-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks I wanted to experiment with that part of site but just didn't have time. I cut Schaub, OD, Manning, McCain, Yates and Tarpinian & Mohamed. I want to think more about which FAs we bring back.

TheIronDuke 11-27-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2258185)
Thanks I wanted to experiment with that part of site but just didn't have time. I cut Schaub, OD, Manning, McCain, Yates and Tarpinian & Mohamed. I want to think more about which FAs we bring back.

I cut these guys plus Brooke Reed, Martin, Newton, Fat Randy, and Brandon Harris. We have a lot of crappy players, OD not included as crappy, just over the hill like Manning. The rest are complete garbage.

badboy 11-27-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2258196)
I cut these guys plus Brooke Reed, Martin, Newton, Fat Randy, and Brandon Harris. We have a lot of crappy players, OD not included as crappy, just over the hill like Manning. The rest are complete garbage.

Reed is a containment guy that we expect too many sacks from. Need to replace but not this season. Same with Martin as I want to cut him and then he has a decent game. I won't cut Newton but want to see him compete against Brennan Williams and a draft pick. Ryan Harris cannot beat him out so he should go. Bullock was aweful but may have recovered recently. Let's see how he finishes. Brandon Harris should peak in his third season. We gave KJ three so why not Harris? Besides lett ing these go mean you have to replace them and we already need a lot.

JCTexan 11-27-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 (Post 2258179)
I don't know much about the cap, but the first things I looked for were cutting Brice McCain, Derek Newton, and Randy Bullock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2258196)

The cap availability right now is a little over 9 Million... Cutting the guys listed gets it over 13 Million. You can get another 13 Million available by cutting Daniels, Manning & Schaub. With those cuts you're looking at 26 Million of free cap space.

aussie_texan 11-27-2013 06:18 PM

i don't see much of a cap Hell. i cut harris, OD, and schaub and extended ninja, mays and greg jones

acal21 11-27-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exascor (Post 2258056)

Watt needs to be resigned now, I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of free agency with JJ out there.. no way no how

It needs to get done the same way Cushings was done but even sooner

infantrycak 11-27-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acal21 (Post 2258243)
Watt needs to be resigned now, I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of free agency with JJ out there.. no way no how

It needs to get done the same way Cushings was done but even sooner

Watt has two more seasons before the Texans even have to start considering the franchise tag.

Texian 11-27-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2258247)
Watt has two more seasons before the Texans even have to start considering the franchise tag.

and franchising Watt for 2 years may be considerably cheaper than actually re-signing him

acal21 11-27-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2258247)

I was so worried about it I completely forgot about the franchise tag

infantrycak 11-27-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acal21 (Post 2258253)
I was so worried about it I completely forgot about the franchise tag

The Texans' options for JJ other than signing a new contract are:

2014 - last year of original rookie deal - $3.575 mil cap hit
2015 - optional 5th year - approx. $7 mil (avg. of 3-25th paid DEs)
2015 - franchise tag - approx. $12 mil
2016 - franchise tag - approx. $14.4 mil

The Texans hold the cards for quite a while.

ArlingtonTexan 11-27-2013 10:43 PM

:includeme::includeme:

Double Barrel 11-28-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2258262)
The Texans' options for JJ other than signing a new contract are:

2014 - last year of original rookie deal - $3.575 mil cap hit
2015 - optional 5th year - approx. $7 mil (avg. of 3-25th paid DEs)
2015 - franchise tag - approx. $12 mil
2016 - franchise tag - approx. $14.4 mil

The Texans hold the cards for quite a while.

Thanks for the breakdown. I can use this to calm some people down in my life that are stressing about it. I've told them that the Texans have the leverage, but cool to see the specifics.

Reading this thread, it sounds like we are not in a bad cap situation, and makes me start to believe that Rick Smith sticks around if/when they let Gary & Co. go. Much different than 2005 when Casserly left the franchise in cap trouble, iirc.

Texian 11-28-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 2258294)
Thanks for the breakdown. I can use this to calm some people down in my life that are stressing about it. I've told them that the Texans have the leverage, but cool to see the specifics.

Reading this thread, it sounds like we are not in a bad cap situation, and makes me start to believe that Rick Smith sticks around if/when they let Gary & Co. go. Much different than 2005 when Casserly left the franchise in cap trouble, iirc.

Contrary to popular belief the Texans 2014 salary cap situation is very similar to salary cap situation of 2011, 2012, 2013. Like recent years past the Texans will lose a handful of starters to FA and the Texans will not have enough money to adequately to replace the value of those players lost. Once again they will try to plug those holes through the draft or with more vet minimums to fill out the roster. In essence they will have taken another step or two backwards to getting better instead of any steps forward because that is all they can afford.

Lucky 11-28-2013 10:01 AM

Schaub, Daniels, and Manning were my big cuts. made some smaller ones and only extended Graham and wound up with $31 million in cap room. Lots of holes on the roster though. Still, there's enough for a new coach to be competitive in the AFC South in 2014.

Texian 11-28-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 2258352)
Schaub, Daniels, and Manning were my big cuts. made some smaller ones and only extended Graham and wound up with $31 million in cap room. Lots of holes on the roster though. Still, there's enough for a new coach to be competitive in the AFC South in 2014.

I cut Schaub and Foster. After back surgery I don't expect Foster to be worth his $8 mil. And the current OL also looks like it went thru back surgery. A new QB will need Andre and Daniels. Manning when healthy is the best S on the team. Manning and Daniels are 2015 FA so their $ disappear then anyways. Take your full medicine in 2014 and w/o any Schaub, Foster, Daniels, Manning money on the 2015 books, the Texans start 2015 year almost $50 mil under the cap.

Note: I expect the NFL to go to 17 or 18 game schedule in 2015 and when they do I also expect the salary cap to increase substanially, $15 - $20 million. Why? This is the carrot that the owners will use to get the players to vote FOR an increase in regular season games.

ObsiWan 11-28-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks for showing us this new toy. It'll be interesting to see how (or if) the resident draftniks put it to use during the offseason to see who to keep and who to let go.

oh and repped by the way