Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   What do you want to see from the rest of the season? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103116)

keyser 11-21-2013 09:57 AM

What do you want to see from the rest of the season?

Let's assume that there's not going to be any coaching/management change for the rest of this season (I think that's a safe assumption), but that we have no idea what will happen after the season (I think that's also a safe assumption). I'm wondering what it is that other folks hope to see from the remainder of the season. There was a time when I'd have said I just want to see them turn things around and win a few (preferably in a row). But, given my expectation levels going into the season, and my disappointment now, I almost don't care whether we win or lose.

For me, I think the one important thing is to determine if Keenum can be a franchise-level QB going forward. We are going to have a high (maybe very high) draft pick. This might be our best chance to pick up a franchise QB, and we need to know as much as possible whether we need one, or whether Keenum can be the centerpiece to lead us on.

Maybe it's the preseason optimism holding out, but I don't think our team is in as bad of shape as our record indicates (i.e. we have a lot of good players in place that should let us be competitive in the future). I doubt that we'll have this good of a draft pick in future years. If Keenum can be a long-term solution at QB who can lead us to the playoffs, we can spend our top draft pick to address another area. If he's not going to be that guy, I think we need to go all out (trading up if necessary) to get the best QB we can - one that we at least think can be a SB-winner in the future. I don't care about much else (OK, people staying healthy) than this at this point. I'm curious if others have different ideas?

eriadoc 11-21-2013 10:15 AM

Re: What do you want to see from the rest of the season?

I want to see Keenum develop, obviously. I want to see how Swearinger and Hopkins do. I want to see Derek Newton fired. I want to see the rest of the league recognize that JJ Watt is still the best defensive player in football. I want to see AJ get double digit TDs for the first time ever.

2slik4u 11-21-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2254738)
I want to see Keenum develop, obviously. I want to see how Swearinger and Hopkins do. I want to see Derek Newton fired. I want to see the rest of the league recognize that JJ Watt is still the best defensive player in football. I want to see AJ get double digit TDs for the first time ever.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

BigBull 11-21-2013 10:24 AM

I totally agree with you on Keenum. I would also like to see what some of the other young players like, Brandon Harris, Crick, Braman, Tuggle, Pleasant, and Dennis Johnson play more to see if they are worth keeping or if they need to upgrade. Since the season is lost they need to evaluate the talent level not just keep doing the same thing over an over and expecting a different result is insane.

Dutchrudder 11-21-2013 10:31 AM

I don't really want to see anything else from this team this season. I switched to watching NFL Red Zone on Sundays a few weeks ago, and don't care to go back. I'd rather watch the best parts of other games than the Texans. If there is no management change this offseason, I won't care much at all going into next season. I can't imagine seeing Schaub start again in 2014. That honestly seems too incomprehensible for me to consider.

TheIronDuke 11-21-2013 10:34 AM

I want to see Brooke Reed's flowing locks fly through the air as he gets blocked by scrub TE's and doesn't have any impact at all.

Runner 11-21-2013 10:35 AM

No lame excuses, that's what I want to see.

Sigma 11-21-2013 10:58 AM

honestly

I want them to play better but still lose out, at this point winning is just useless

I want to see the young players grow and the veterans step up in key moments

I want to see everyone healthy untill the end

I want to see those that will be free agents next year play like crap (someone has to suck in order to lose games, so I would like them to be the ones)

basically I want to have some fun watching games

bOODRO87 11-21-2013 11:17 AM

To lose out to ensure a house cleaning and top pick. That's all i care about right now. Our OL, play calling, and defense gives us a good chance at that.

disaacks3 11-21-2013 11:21 AM

Pretty much like Eriadoc - I want to see our younger talent get some "live evaluations". Better to find out what you have going forward and pull anyone who isn't likely to be back next year. (Tate, etc.)

Showtime100 11-21-2013 11:34 AM

I hate to say it, but it wouldn't kill me to see the Texans try like hell to win out from here on but instead lose out and get a great draft pick. Tanking would not be an option. That is a deal-breaker for me.

Winning out from here on would be a little like farting upwind of yourself, no?

Having said that I will be pulling for them week-in and week-out and let the chips fall where they may. It's impossible for me to literally root for them to lose.

Dread-Head 11-21-2013 11:44 AM

I want to see:

a. Mr. J.J. Watt to be appointed the NFL's FIRST player/defensive co-ordinator as he prepares to unleash hell upon offenses next season.

b. Kubiak demoted to offensive co-ordinator.

c. Schaub demoted to back up QB where he belongs.

d. Bill gettin his own Saturday Morning Cartoon

e. Bill Cowher becoming the NEW head coach here in Houston

f. Bullock fired, and banned from playing, coaching or even WATCHING football ever again.

Hervoyel 11-21-2013 12:31 PM

I want to see Keenum continue to grow and to lock down the QB position enabling the Texans to spend their resources fixing other areas of the team. I'd like to see the starting corners show up and the line get its act together for the remainder of the year.

Mostly though it's about Keenum getting playing time and improving. Some people say that if Kubiak is gone then Keenum won't get a shot because a new coach will want his own QB. I say that this is an owner who hired Kubiak more or less on the condition that he answer the question "Can we win with David Carr?" in the affirmative.

I don't want to see Keenum show well enough for McNair to hold the next coach to using him. I want him to show well enough for the next coach to want to use him. McNair will do the rest.

euro-Texan 11-21-2013 12:42 PM

I'd love to see the fans stop trying to compete with NY or Philly for top a-hole fanbase by cheering injuries and booing the home team.

Brisco_County 11-21-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euro-Texan (Post 2254806)
I'd love to see the fans stop trying to compete with NY or Philly for top a-hole fanbase by cheering injuries and booing the home team.

Thank you.

Uncle Rico 11-21-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Boom! Goes the dynamite.

I'd like to see the cheerleaders wrestle in a baby pool filled with ky jelly.

Toro walking out on the field piss drunk and slapping people around.

Qb demonstration in knocking beer cans off the heads of front office personnel.

silvrhand 11-21-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

omg stop being so wishy washy..

Thorn 11-21-2013 01:36 PM

Wins.

This losing **** is getting old.

chicagotexan2 11-21-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2254744)
I don't really want to see anything else from this team this season. I switched to watching NFL Red Zone on Sundays a few weeks ago, and don't care to go back. I'd rather watch the best parts of other games than the Texans. If there is no management change this offseason, I won't care much at all going into next season. I can't imagine seeing Schaub start again in 2014. That honestly seems too incomprehensible for me to consider.

Well that's wishy washy!!!!! You need to suffer like the rest of us.

I want to see what players should stay and which ones should go.

gafftop 11-21-2013 02:16 PM

See enough of our young talent to make a determination of keep/release. Don't we have some WRs on practice squad.

Don't know exact ramifications of taking chances on other teams practice squad players. Would have been nice to see if WillieJ was anything but we may be able to do the same in a different way.

Basically use the rest of the season to learn all we can so we can know what we have now and plan for next year. Let starters heal that are questionable health wise. Don't just waste the season trying to win meaningless games.

May do the same with coaching staff but probably not feasible.

Experiment with the players you have. Do it with all players not just Case.