Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102937)

b0ng 11-12-2013 10:37 AM

-Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
So the Texans next match-up is with the Oakland Raiders. Some stats:

Offense (PPG)
Texans 18.9 (27th)
Oakland 18.4 (29th)

Offense (YPG)
Texans 376.2 (9th)
Oakland 330.8 (18th)

Defense (PPG)
Texans 27.6 (28th)
Oakland 24.8 (21st)

Defense (YPG)
Texans 280 (1st)
Oakland 345.4 (16th)

So the Texans do two things fairly well. They gain lots of yards on offense (But score low in points) and they are stingy with yards on defense. Points on defense, yeah, that number is skewed by offensive turnovers that have been for 6 (Of which we added one more to that total last night). That being said, you really cannot deny the defense is not playing as well as it has in the previous two seasons. JJ Watt is still a madman, but we're missing Cushing again, and the role players aren't really making as much impact on the game as is needed (Swearinger is starting to grow on me as is Keo, weird).

The Raiders however present a unique team. They are obviously over-performing expectations with Terrelle Pryor looking pretty good to start with, but you can say that he's hit a little bit of a slump in terms of passing. Running QB's though, they harry this defense this season, and I'm afraid that almost every game (even the raiders) is losable from here on out.

I think if the Raiders defense is as bad as their team stats project out, then Keenum could have a field day, and thus, might begin the inevitable 4 game winning streak to get us up to 6-7.

Bulls on Parade 11-12-2013 10:42 AM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
Someway and somehow, our special teams will find a way to lose this game. Whether it's giving up a 95-yard kick return for a Touchdown or Randy Bullock missing two or three field goals (wide left or blocked). The Raiders will take advantage of our costly mistakes on special teams.

There is no inevitable winning streak on the way. I believe whole heartedly the Texans will finish 2-14 and end the 2013 season with 14 losses in a row. It would nearly match the Astros' 15 losses in a row to end their 2013 season. The first overall pick in the draft and great young talent is nothing to sneeze at. I will certainly take it for enduring this miserable season.

Thorn 11-12-2013 10:48 AM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
There is no way in hell the Texans lose all the rest of their games this season. That just won't happen. No, they'll have some horrid mix of loses with a few surprise wins just enough to keep us from a top five draft choice.

But whatever. I'll be starting each game by rooting for them, but by the end I may be laughing at them. That's not an unusual reaction for Houston NFL teams.

b0ng 11-12-2013 10:48 AM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade (Post 2247834)
Someway and somehow, our special teams will find a way to lose this game. Whether it's giving up a 95-yard kick return for a Touchdown or Randy Bullock missing two or three field goals (wide left or blocked). The Raiders will take advantage of our costly mistakes on special teams.

There is no inevitable winning streak on the way. I believe whole heartedly the Texans will finish 2-14 and end the 2013 season with 14 losses in a row. It would nearly match the Astros' 15 losses in a row to end their 2013 season. The first overall pick in the draft and great young talent is nothing to sneeze at. I will certainly take it for enduring this miserable season.

A collapse like that would be of epic proportions and I firmly believe that Texans have a much better shot at ending up 4-12 - 6-10 territory. Either way though, your analysis on the game hinging entirely on special teams gaffes (Of which the Texans have had many) means that the D is going to let the Raiders score enough points for that to be a factor? That the offense will not put up enough points to force the raiders to score 14 - 17 points from those errors?

michaelm 11-12-2013 10:56 AM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
I believe the thread title to be misleading. Nobody is looking forward to this game.


:kitten:

Bulls on Parade 11-12-2013 11:02 AM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
I hope I'm wrong but I don't think our offense will play as good as they have been in recent games. Derek Newton is getting abused at right tackle. Our running game isn't producing anything positive. Ben Tate should just sit out the rest of the year, and join Arian Foster, with those broken ribs. He's obviously trying to increase his free agency dollars in a contract year.

I'm sure Andre Johnson will snag a couple TDs from Case Keenum as he continues to pad his TD totals. We'll score 14 points and miss another 6 or 9 on field goals. I think the Raiders will find a way to beat us 23-14 on Sunday.

I think we blew our load in the first half against the Colts on national TV by dominating and taking a 21-3 lead. There is too much game film of Case Keenum already (three starts is plenty). The Raiders defense just needs to have a good week to gameplan for our one-dimensional offense and they should play pretty well against us on Sunday.

We had a much better team last season, starting 11-1 and finishing 12-4, and still the Jaguars came into Houston and we barely pulled it out in overtime. I also watched the Jaguars win over the Titans on the NFL Network rewind. Just being honest here, they definitely have what it takes to beat us twice this year.

I'm telling you right now. The Texans can easily finish 2-14. We're going to get blown out by the Broncos, Patriots and Colts (on the road). I don't think we will beat the Titans on the road the final game of the season, especially if we need a loss to clinch the first overall pick.

Our defense has lost their heart and soul. Nobody except J.J. Watt is playing all that great. The Raiders will abuse our mediocre inside linebackers. All they have to do is dink and dunk their way down the field with the middle of the field wide open on easy passing routes. Darryl Sharpton and Joe Mays, I don't want either of them back next season. Kareem Jackson is back to being his old horrible self, aka the 2010 version. Johnathan Joseph has lost a step and can't cover the speedy wide receivers anymore.

The Raiders are about to do what the Rams did. Come into Reliant Stadium as the noticeably weaker team on paper, but they will play a physical game inside the trenches, force turnovers, dominate on special teams, run the ball hard on offense to gain critical first downs, and basically punch us in the mouth and come away with a hard-fought road win.

b0ng 11-12-2013 11:21 AM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade (Post 2247856)
I hope I'm wrong but I don't think our offense will play as good as they have been in recent games. Derek Newton is getting abused at right tackle. Our running game isn't producing anything positive. Ben Tate should just sit out the rest of the year, and join Arian Foster, with those broken ribs. He's obviously trying to increase his free agency dollars in a contract year.

I'm sure Andre Johnson will snag a couple TDs from Case Keenum as he continues to pad his TD totals. We'll score 14 points and miss another 6 or 9 on field goals. I think the Raiders will find a way to beat us 23-14 on Sunday.

I think we blew our load in the first half against the Colts on national TV by dominating and taking a 21-3 lead. There is too much game film of Case Keenum already (three starts is plenty). The Raiders defense just needs to have a good week to gameplan for our one-dimensional offense and they should play pretty well against us on Sunday.


You think that much of the Raiders defense that this will happen? Tell me why you think think the Raiders defense will play as well as the Cardinals/Chiefs/Colts defenses against the Texans. They seem to have not been able to keep teams off of the boards really at all this season. So please expand on this.

kiwitexansfan 11-12-2013 11:23 AM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
Do we still suck against mobile QBs?

In all the rest of the suck I've lost track.

If so, oh oh.

infantrycak 11-12-2013 11:31 AM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
So now AJ is padding his stats. I have seen it all.

Bulls on Parade 11-12-2013 11:34 AM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ng (Post 2247871)
You think that much of the Raiders defense that this will happen? Tell me why you think think the Raiders defense will play as well as the Cardinals/Chiefs/Colts defenses against the Texans. They seem to have not been able to keep teams off of the boards really at all this season. So please expand on this.

Every game is a different story and matchup. You know as well as I do that how we played against the Cardinals, Colts and Chiefs is meaningless going into this game. The Raiders are coming into Reliant Stadium with a lot to prove. They are not the team that had Super Bowl expectations entering the season. They are not the team currently on a seven-game losing streak. All of the pressure will be on the Texans in this game. We are favored to win this game.

I just have a gut feeling the Raiders will beat the Texans on Sunday. I'm going to just leave it at that. I just don't want you guys to fell disappointed after we lose our 8th game in a row. You shouldn't pump this lifeless team up all week just to get you heart broken on Sunday. There's a reason why we keep finding ways to lose games.

Bulls on Parade 11-12-2013 11:38 AM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2247884)
So now AJ is padding his stats. I have seen it all.

I meant that in a good way but may have worded it wrong. Increasing his career TD totals late in his career so that he can become a first ballot Hall of Famer. I would love to see that happen. His numbers are already Hall of Fame worthy. Everything except his lack of Touchdowns. But 5 TDs in two games is a nice boost. I'm hoping he can play three or four more seasons and still produce at a high level. Maybe he can become a lot like Chris Carter. All he does is catch Touchdowns late in his career.

b0ng 11-12-2013 11:39 AM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade (Post 2247890)
Every game is a different story and matchup. You know as well as I do that how we played against the Cardinals, Colts and Chiefs is meaningless going into this game. The Raiders are coming into Reliant Stadium with a lot to prove. They are not the team that had Super Bowl expectations entering the season. They are not the team currently on a seven-game losing streak. All of the pressure will be on the Texans in this game. We are favored to win this game.

I just have a gut feeling the Raiders will beat the Texans on Sunday. I'm going to just leave it at that. I just don't want you guys to fell disappointed after we lose our 8th game in a row. You shouldn't pump this lifeless team up all week just to get you heart broken on Sunday. There's a reason why we keep finding ways to lose games.

This is all gut feelings and ambiguous stuff. So leaving it at that is fine enough with me. I'm hoping for analysis in this thread.

The Raiders are the team that Nick Foles tied the record for TD's in a game against. And Terelle Pryor has tied a Raiders franchise all time low in QB rating with 42.0 over the last 4 game span. Few more stats to think about.

Bulls on Parade 11-12-2013 11:46 AM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ng (Post 2247897)
This is all gut feelings and ambiguous stuff. So leaving it at that is fine enough with me. I'm hoping for analysis in this thread.

The Raiders are the team that Nick Foles tied the record for TD's in a game against. And Terelle Pryor has tied a Raiders franchise all time low in QB rating with 42.0 over the last 4 game span. Few more stats to think about.

And I admire that but if these games were won and lost based on stats the Texans would be sitting pretty with a 7-2 record right now and not a 2-7 record. We still have the number one ranked defense the last time I checked (yardage wise). It doesn't mean we can stop a team from scoring points when the game is on the line. Terrelle Pryor will likely eat us alive even with a banged up knee.

I don't need any analysis to tell me that the Texans can't stop a big passing play right now. We can't even stop the intermediate routes over the middle of the field. When you see those big gaping holes because we have crappy inside linebackers, you don't need stats to tell you there's a problem there. Without Brian Cushing, and go ahead and look up the stats last season also without him, our defense is not the same.

Vance87 11-12-2013 11:57 AM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
Apparently Terrelle Pryor has a knee injury.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ders-concerned

Since Matt Flynn is already gone I have no idea who their backup is. He'll probably play though.

TheIronDuke 11-12-2013 12:04 PM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vance87 (Post 2247931)
Apparently Terrelle Pryor has a knee injury.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ders-concerned

Since Matt Flynn is already gone I have no idea who their backup is. He'll probably play though.

If they sign VY to play us I will be absolutely enthralled by this game.

If not, I will still watch but will be less enthralled by it.

Dutchrudder 11-12-2013 01:11 PM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ng (Post 2247831)
So the Texans next match-up is with the Oakland Raiders. Some stats:

Offense (PPG)
Texans 18.9 (27th)
Oakland 18.4 (29th)

Offense (YPG)
Texans 376.2 (9th)
Oakland 330.8 (18th)

Defense (PPG)
Texans 27.6 (28th)
Oakland 24.8 (21st)

Defense (YPG)
Texans 280 (1st)
Oakland 345.4 (16th)

So the Texans do two things fairly well. They gain lots of yards on offense (But score low in points) and they are stingy with yards on defense. Points on defense, yeah, that number is skewed by offensive turnovers that have been for 6 (Of which we added one more to that total last night). That being said, you really cannot deny the defense is not playing as well as it has in the previous two seasons. JJ Watt is still a madman, but we're missing Cushing again, and the role players aren't really making as much impact on the game as is needed (Swearinger is starting to grow on me as is Keo, weird).

The Raiders however present a unique team. They are obviously over-performing expectations with Terrelle Pryor looking pretty good to start with, but you can say that he's hit a little bit of a slump in terms of passing. Running QB's though, they harry this defense this season, and I'm afraid that almost every game (even the raiders) is losable from here on out.

I think if the Raiders defense is as bad as their team stats project out, then Keenum could have a field day, and thus, might begin the inevitable 4 game winning streak to get us up to 6-7.

http://img.pandawhale.com/50246-so-y...-a-c-RHL9.jpeg

Runner 11-12-2013 01:33 PM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
According to the ESPN power rankings, the Texans are the best darn 2-7 and the Raiders are the worst 3-6 teams in the league.

This will be an epic battle.

Norg 11-12-2013 01:45 PM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
We gonna lose we will lose to da RAIDERSSS DENVER and PATS will smoke us we will go 1-1 with the jags and lose to INDY and TENN on the road

kiwitexansfan 11-12-2013 02:19 PM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vance87 (Post 2247931)
Apparently Terrelle Pryor has a knee injury.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ders-concerned

Since Matt Flynn is already gone I have no idea who their backup is. He'll probably play though.

Matt McGloin according to the Raiders.com depth chart.

thetexanator 11-12-2013 02:22 PM

Re: -Looking Forward- Texans vs Raiders 11/17/13
 
i hope we lose. i wanna see this mf burn to the ground. we need change


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger