Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   2014 Free Agency.....and the Texans (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102867)

Wolf6151 11-06-2013 08:38 PM

2014 Free Agency.....and the Texans

With names like Owen Daniels, Matt Schaub, Ben Tate, Wade Smith, and Antonio Smith most likely gone at the end of this season, which seems to be over already, it seems that we should start to look at some FA names the Texans might be interested in. We all know that we have way more holes in the team than can be filled by 1 draft class so we'll have to fill some in FA. Extending JJ Watt will be top priority, and I think KJ gets a new reasonable contract as well. With no numbers at hand though I'm thinking those 2 players get signed and that there should be some money left over to sign at least 1 or 2 decent/good FA. What positions would you like to see filled by a FA signing vs. a draft pick? Also do you have any names we should start to look at? FA signings will have a big affect on the draft.

steelbtexan 11-06-2013 09:40 PM

Re: 2014 Free Agency.....and the Texans

Since there's not going to be alot of $$$$ available give me

1. Ryan Clark
2. Rashean Mathis

infantrycak 11-06-2013 10:18 PM

No need to sign JJ Watt this off-season.

I think Antonio is most likely signed to an about 3 year $12 mil deal.

They should scour who is coming available at RT, NT, CB and ILB/OLB (draft the other).

Michael Oher, B.J. Raji, and Brian Orapko look like the out of reach/top guys - the market for Oher might be interesting. There are quite a few CBs so maybe the market will be down there some this offseason.

76Texan 11-06-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2244346)

1. Ryan Clark
2. Rashean Mathis

I'm Leary of Mathis' string of injury.
ACL in 2011; knee last year; groin at the moment.

infantrycak 11-06-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2244365)
I'm Leary of Mathis' string of injury.
ACL in 2011; knee last year; groin at the moment.

Clark is 34 and Mathis is 33. steelb thinks he is being funny that they are the only thing we can afford.

ArlingtonTexan 11-06-2013 11:07 PM

honestly, I would look at the math until FEb or something, but don't the Texans generally run the salary cap to re-sign players, get 1 moderate priced free and bunches low cost veterans?

76Texan 11-06-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2244375)
Clark is 34 and Mathis is 33. steelb thinks he is being funny that they are the only thing we can afford.

From what I read, PFF said that Clark had a good year.

A possibility is T J Ward at safety.

Wolf6151 11-08-2013 06:15 AM

Add Ed Reed and Greg Jones to that list of players likely to be gone, thus saving us a bunch of money and allowing us to pursue some decent/good FA.

I also would not be shocked to see the Texans cut Arian Foster at the end of the season. I'm not sure about his contract situation and whether or not he's gotten his guaranteed money but the return on investment in him is getting worse each year since he signed his new expensive contract. I'm not saying it's going to happen but I wouldn't be shocked if it did.

infantrycak 11-08-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2244838)
Add Ed Reed and Greg Jones to that list of players likely to be gone, thus saving us a bunch of money and allowing us to pursue some decent/good FA.

I also would not be shocked to see the Texans cut Arian Foster at the end of the season.

Cutting Ed Reed would create $1.33 in dead money which is a net $4 mil cap savings over keeping him.*

Greg Jones was on a 1 year contract.

Cutting Foster would create $7.5 mil in dead money which is a net $1.25 mil cap savings over keeping him. I would put that in the "not going to happen" pile. Foster has received all his guaranteed money.

* According to spotrac Ed Reed received the last $2 mil of his guaranteed money in 2012 as an advance on base salaries which is included akin to prorated signing bonus in the above.

Corrosion 11-08-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2244346)

1. Ryan Clark
2. Rashean Mathis

Until yesterday I didn't think they would have a whole lot of cap space to throw around either .... then you look at cutting a few guys who have underperformed - OD , JJo and Reed along with Schaub and you have ~25m in cap space to play with even if you eat all of Schaub's remaining guaranteed $$ in next years cap.

OD and JJo cost nothing against the cap to cut while Reed costs you $1.33m

JJo saves you $11.25m , OD $6.25m and Ed Reed $4m.

Then you have about $22m in expiring contracts tho that's across ~13 roster spots.

They will have the option of being active in free agency should they make some difficult cuts.

76Texan 11-08-2013 10:17 AM

Cutting JJo will result in $5M in dead money, but the Texans will have $6.25M to pay his replacement.

The $12.5M saving in 2015 can be divided between that same replacement and re-upping KJackson (unless he follows JJo's regression route.)

Is there a decent FA CB out there in the $6M range?

76Texan 11-08-2013 10:26 AM

Brent Grimes is rumored to be in the 3-yr $18M range.

Does that sound doable ?

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...t-paid-in-2014

http://m.palmbeachpost.com/news/spor...s-ranki/nbLPG/

Texian 11-08-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2244332)
With names like Owen Daniels, Matt Schaub, Ben Tate, Wade Smith, and Antonio Smith most likely gone at the end of this season, which seems to be over already, it seems that we should start to look at some FA names the Texans might be interested in. We all know that we have way more holes in the team than can be filled by 1 draft class so we'll have to fill some in FA. Extending JJ Watt will be top priority, and I think KJ gets a new reasonable contract as well. With no numbers at hand though I'm thinking those 2 players get signed and that there should be some money left over to sign at least 1 or 2 decent/good FA. What positions would you like to see filled by a FA signing vs. a draft pick? Also do you have any names we should start to look at? FA signings will have a big affect on the draft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2244838)

I also would not be shocked to see the Texans cut Arian Foster at the end of the season. I'm not sure about his contract situation and whether or not he's gotten his guaranteed money but the return on investment in him is getting worse each year since he signed his new expensive contract. I'm not saying it's going to happen but I wouldn't be shocked if it did.

Tate, Smith, Smith and Jones are outright free agents so there is no salary cap relief for them. In addition 2013 starters Mitchell, Graham, Mays and Sharpton are also outright free agents no salary cap relief for them. Texans have 18 free agents in 2014. With their contracts off the books the Texans are expected to currently begin the 2014 $8 million under the salary cap with 35 players from the 2013 season under contract.

If as you suggest, the Texans release Schaub, Daniels, Reed and Foster the Texans will increase their amount of being under salary cap by approx $13 million. The Texans are currently expected to start the 2014 $8 million under the cap. Adding $13 million will give them a total of approx $21 million under the salary cap to start 2014. Add the 4 released players you suggested to the 18 free agents contracts that have to be replaced and there is now 22 contracts that have to be replaced in 2014.

The Texans now have to replace their #1 and #2 RBs.
The Texans now have to replace their #1 and #2 TEs.
The Texans now have to replace their current starting ILBs.
The Texans now have to replace 2/3rds of their starting DL.
The Texans now have to replace their starting LG and FB.

Essentially the Texans have emptied their entire backfield, depleted most of their DL and wiped out their starting TE corp, reduced the # ILBs by half. Should be interesting.

Corrosion 11-08-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2244911)
Cutting JJo will result in $5M in dead money, but the Texans will have $6.25M to pay his replacement.

The $12.5M saving in 2015 can be divided between that same replacement and re-upping KJackson (unless he follows JJo's regression route.)

Is there a decent FA CB out there in the $6M range?

According to Sportrac cutting JJo results in no dead $$$$ After the 2013 season.

infantrycak 11-08-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2245038)
According to Sportrac cutting JJo results in no dead $$$$ After the 2013 season.

Spotrac is good about the contract details but they often leave holes in the dead money column such as on JJo. He has $5 mil in prorated signing bonus which has not been accounted for to date and would become dead money but the Texans would have a net cap savings next season of $6.25 mil rather than keeping him.

badboy 11-08-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2245051)
Spotrac is good about the contract details but they often leave holes in the dead money column such as on JJo. He has $5 mil in prorated signing bonus which has not been accounted for to date and would become dead money but the Texans would have a net cap savings next season of $6.25 mil rather than keeping him.

Dead money is confusing, but if player is cut or traded after guarantee is paid, the salary is not counted. The prorated bonus is puched up into current year so should not effect after that year as I understand.

Texian 11-08-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2245038)

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2245051)

Joseph also restructured his contract 2012 to free up enough money ($4mil) so they could extend Schaub's contract. So there is another $2 mil or so that would be due (dead Money) if Joseph is cut or traded. http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texa...b-and-jamison/

infantrycak 11-08-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2245056)
Dead money is confusing, but if player is cut or traded after guarantee is paid, the salary is not counted. The prorated bonus is puched up into current year so should not effect after that year as I understand.

The league year of the cut/trade all prorated money which has not appeared on a cap and any money which has to be paid out because of guarantees (generally not a factor on trades because the new team becomes responsible for the further guaranteed payments) must appear on the cap that year with the exception of June 1st cuts. JJo has been paid all his guaranteed money so the only thing left to account for him is the 2 seasons of prorated signing bonus which has not been accounted for so far which is $5 mil. They can do it all on the 2014 cap or as a June 1st cut and split it equally in this case to 2014 & 2015.

Corrosion 11-08-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2245062)
The league year of the cut/trade all prorated money which has not appeared on a cap and any money which has to be paid out because of guarantees (generally not a factor on trades because the new team becomes responsible for the further guaranteed payments) must appear on the cap that year with the exception of June 1st cuts. JJo has been paid all his guaranteed money so the only thing left to account for him is the 2 seasons of prorated signing bonus which has not been accounted for so far which is $5 mil. They can do it all on the 2014 cap or as a June 1st cut and split it equally in this case to 2014 & 2015.

And this is where it gets confusing ... guaranteed $$ is paid.

I didn't do the math in the above post but just to clarify so we all come to the right conclusion lets do it here:

5 year $48.75m (really irrelevant)

$12.5m signing bonus.

$23.5m guaranteed

2011 Base salary $5.5m , $2.5m signing bonus hit 2011 Total $8m

2012 Base salary $2.25m , signing bonus hit $2.5m , Roster Bonus $1.25m 2012 Total $6m

2013 Base salary $7.5m signing bonus hit $2.5m, Roster Bonus $1.25m 2013 Total $11.25m

Over that three year span , JJo has been paid $25.25 total exceeding his $23.5m guarantee.

The one thing Im not positive about is if roster bonuses translate towards paying down the guaranteed $$ , If they do he would cost nothing to cut. If they don't , that knocks his $ towards guaranteed $$ down to $22.75m meaning they would incur a cap hit of $750k in reaching that $23m.5m guarantee.

Its either $0 or $750k.

infantrycak 11-08-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texian (Post 2245060)
Joseph also restructured his contract 2012 to free up enough money ($4mil) so they could extend Schaub's contract. So there is another $2 mil or so that would be due (dead Money) if Joseph is cut or traded. http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texa...b-and-jamison/

You are correct the restructure has to be accounted for. They paid him $5 mil to restructure so there is an additional $2.5 mil to account for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2245077)
The one thing Im not positive about is if roster bonuses translate towards paying down the guaranteed $$ , If they do he would cost nothing to cut. If they don't , that knocks his $ towards guaranteed $$ down to $22.75m meaning they would incur a cap hit of $750k in reaching that $23m.5m guarantee.

Its either $0 or $750k.

The $5 mil restructure bonus was not paid as a roster bonus otherwise it would have all appeared on that year's cap. This was a 2nd signing bonus and has been prorated so the amount which has not appeared on the cap will have to be accounted for. That is the point of most restructures - to reduce salary which will all appear on the year paid and make it into money prorated over the remainder of the contract. Just because money has been paid doesn't mean it has been accounted for. If all the guaranteed money is signing bonus, it is all paid on day 1 but it is not fully accounted for until the expiration of the contract.

In this case, if JJo is cut there are 2 years of original signing bonus to account for totaling $5mil and 2 years of restructuring signing bonus to account for totalling $2.5 mil. That is $7.5 mil in dead money to cut him after this season.