Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Luxury Picks (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102698)

NCTexan 10-25-2013 09:00 AM

Luxury Picks
 
Instead of talking about all the Doom and Gloom I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we could discuss good players at positions that aren't pressing needs. Players we wish we could draft but other positions are just too pressing.

1. Sammy Watkins, WR

I would love to have this kid. He makes plays and seems to have a strong work ethic. He'd be a sweet pick.

2. Eric Ebron, TE

This may be a little UNC homerism, but this kid is a beast. He is big, strong, and fast. LBs can't stick with him and he's too big for secondary players. He can move after the catch too. I really wish TE was one of our biggest needs so we could snatch him.

Rock N Randy 10-25-2013 09:13 AM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
I like alot of players
Amaro TE Texas Tech
Jeffcoat DE/OLB Texas
Breslin DE/OLB USC (closet thing to Cushing USC has had since Cushing left)
Reynolds S Stanford
Evans WR Texas A&M
Mosley ILB Alabama

I like Watkins and Ebron too

I just want playmakers weather on defense or offense

htownfan32 10-25-2013 12:47 PM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Johnny Manziel :kitten:

Only kidding. Imagine if we got Jadaveon Clowney.

Also, NC, I agree with you on Ebron. Luxury pick for sure but I've been watching him. Kid's a beast.

NCTexan 10-25-2013 12:56 PM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by htownfan32 (Post 2237868)
Johnny Manziel :kitten:

Only kidding. Imagine if we got Jadaveon Clowney.

Also, NC, I agree with you on Ebron. Luxury pick for sure but I've been watching him. Kid's a beast.

If Clowney is there when we pick do you take him? Smith needs a replacement soon... And no one will fault you taking a pass rusher early if you think he's going to be a stud. Maybe lowers the need for a new OLB, and get a RT in the second or third?

htownfan32 10-25-2013 01:33 PM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCTexan (Post 2237872)
If Clowney is there when we pick do you take him? Smith needs a replacement soon... And no one will fault you taking a pass rusher early if you think he's going to be a stud. Maybe lowers the need for a new OLB, and get a RT in the second or third?

I would. outside from the offensive line and a backup running back there are fewer positions to address in the offense. If I could grab Jadaveon I'd grab o-line in the second and an inside linebacker in the third, someone like Shayne Skov. I think this draft will feature o-line and defense, because those are the two spots that need depth on this team.

Watt and Clowney... that'd be a combination for the ages.

NCTexan 10-25-2013 01:41 PM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by htownfan32 (Post 2237883)
I would. outside from the offensive line and a backup running back there are fewer positions to address in the offense. If I could grab Jadaveon I'd grab o-line in the second and an inside linebacker in the third, someone like Shayne Skov. I think this draft will feature o-line and defense, because those are the two spots that need depth on this team.

Watt and Clowney... that'd be a combination for the ages.

It may be possible with the way our season and Clowney's are going. Especially with a few QBs looking to be taken early, a few OTs, and Barr.

I think that draft, (Clowney, OT/OG, Skov) would be really solid.

htownfan32 10-25-2013 01:48 PM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCTexan (Post 2237887)
It may be possible with the way our season and Clowney's are going. Especially with a few QBs looking to be taken early, a few OTs, and Barr.

I think that draft, (Clowney, OT/OG, Skov) would be really solid.

Yeah. I'm hoping some QB hungry teams get their quarterbacks (this draft is deep so I'm not especially worried). I think Manziel may go super early (Jags need to sell tickets, after all) as well as Bridgewater and Barr, Matthews and Lewan. It would heavily depend on us picking at 7 or higher, I think, because Clowney doesn't slip further than that.

If the Giants pick before us though, he's gone.

Dutchrudder 10-25-2013 02:51 PM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
I'd rather have Barr than Clowney, but beggars can't be choosers. I hope one of them falls in our lap.

Mari-OWNED! 10-25-2013 08:45 PM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 2237910)
I'd rather have Barr than Clowney, but beggars can't be choosers. I hope one of them falls in our lap.

Assuming that the Texans are still running Wade's 3-4 defense I would totally agree with you on Barr. Clowney is a prototypical 4-3 DE, but I guess the same was said of Mario and he definitely held his own in his limited time as a stand up rush linebacker.

aussie_texan 10-25-2013 10:37 PM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
is there any chance Mike Evans comes out this year?

Wolf6151 10-26-2013 12:33 AM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! (Post 2238032)
Assuming that the Texans are still running Wade's 3-4 defense I would totally agree with you on Barr. Clowney is a prototypical 4-3 DE.

I completely agree with you and DR, I'd rather have Barr, and I don't think Clowney fits our system. He could probably bulk up for 3-4 DE but he might lose his speed by doing so and it would take some time.

eriadoc 10-26-2013 03:40 AM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Flanders, SHSU.

steelbtexan 10-26-2013 06:01 AM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
I would love the thought of Clowney and Watt on the DL together. You cant doublr team both of them. With JJ and Clowney on the DL Mercilus and Cushing would be pro bowlers.

The Texans need pass rush adding Clowney= instant pass rush. This is the same reason I'm on board with drafting Nix and wanted the Texans to trade up for Star last yr. (Not that I'm unhappy with the Hopkins pick.)

It doesn't matter where the Texans pass rush comes from and Clowney/Barr/Nix are the only sure fire guys that improve the pass rush in this draft.

badboy 10-26-2013 10:52 AM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 2238064)
is there any chance Mike Evans comes out this year?

You & I are on same page. I think if Manziel comes out & I think it is 95% he will,then Evans should also. He could be top 15 pick. I'm trying to rework my last mock now. FYI A&M plays Vandy now on local channel KUBE. Evans is very good WR & can play TE and slot. 6'5 225 4.58.

aussie_texan 10-26-2013 10:06 PM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2238129)
You & I are on same page. I think if Manziel comes out & I think it is 95% he will,then Evans should also. He could be top 15 pick. I'm trying to rework my last mock now. FYI A&M plays Vandy now on local channel KUBE. Evans is very good WR & can play TE and slot. 6'5 225 4.58.

yeah i agree. his so versatile and would open up any offence. it would be out of him and watkins as the top WR, i would give it to Evans.

ArlingtonTexan 10-26-2013 10:36 PM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 2238288)
yeah i agree. his so versatile and would open up any offence. it would be out of him and watkins as the top WR, i would give it to Evans.

Evans isn't versatile at all. He is an outside WR only. he is big, but won't fool anybody as a TE and is not quick twitched as a slot player. Very much Vincent Jackson and Colston like. He might be the 1st WR off the board, but not because does lots of different things.

ArlingtonTexan 10-26-2013 10:36 PM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 2238288)
yeah i agree. his so versatile and would open up any offence. it would be out of him and watkins as the top WR, i would give it to Evans.

Evans isn't versatile at all. He is an outside WR only. he is big, but won't fool anybody as a TE and is not quick twitched as a slot player. Very much Vincent Jackson and Colston like. He might be the 1st WR off the board, but not because does lots of different things.

aussie_texan 10-26-2013 11:32 PM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan (Post 2238294)
Evans isn't versatile at all. He is an outside WR only. he is big, but won't fool anybody as a TE and is not quick twitched as a slot player. Very much Vincent Jackson and Colston like. He might be the 1st WR off the board, but not because does lots of different things.

his size and athletic ability allow you to do more things on offence. he can go over the middle and go down field, comeback routes.

his effectively a basketball player on a football field, and even though he doesn't have speed over a 40 yard dash he has quick initial speed, quickness in small areas, think a basketball players post moves.

when i say versatile think what we do with AJ, he also lines up in the slot and his not 6ft tall 200pounds.

and i disagree with your assumption on using him out on the TE position. of course his not a traditional TE but you can work in certain plays that are driven to his advantage.

aussie_texan 10-26-2013 11:43 PM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
also i to address the OP, if i could have anyone it would be A.Barr, his going to dominate!
barr and mercilus at OLB and move reed to ILB. thats a strong LB corp.

ArlingtonTexan 10-27-2013 01:31 AM

Re: Luxury Picks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 2238305)
his size and athletic ability allow you to do more things on offence. he can go over the middle and go down field, comeback routes.

his effectively a basketball player on a football field, and even though he doesn't have speed over a 40 yard dash he has quick initial speed, quickness in small areas, think a basketball players post moves.

when i say versatile think what we do with AJ, he also lines up in the slot and his not 6ft tall 200pounds.

and i disagree with your assumption on using him out on the TE position. of course his not a traditional TE but you can work in certain plays that are driven to his advantage.

of course, you disagree, but you will have a really hard time showing me where Evans has ever line-up at TE. The vast majority of Evans' snaps are taken at split end on the right side of the formation. Any other his uses are largely speculative.


Calvin Johnson is bigger, stronger and faster than Evans and when do they use him at TE??? Oh, basically never. The same goes for Colston and Vincent Jackson. Nothing wrong with that guy being able to physically dominate DBs, but the concept that he has shown to be multi-positional is speculative at best.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger