Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   With Bradford gone, the Rams need a QB... (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102631)

Tolar's Ghost 10-21-2013 03:38 AM

With Bradford gone, the Rams need a QB...

They're going to start working out quarterbacks on Monday.

So if I'm Rick Smith, I'm on the phone to the Rams. Not to offer Schaub - all they need is another injury-prone QB - but Yates.

Get a draft pick and let Keenum take it the rest of the way, with Schaub as his backup. Yates is clearly expendable.

EllisUnit 10-21-2013 03:46 AM

Re: With Bradford gone, the Rams need a QB...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost (Post 2235098)
They're going to start working out quarterbacks on Monday.

So if I'm Rick Smith, I'm on the phone to the Rams. Not to offer Schaub - all they need is another injury-prone QB - but Yates.

Get a draft pick and let Keenum take it the rest of the way, with Schaub as his backup. Yates is clearly expendable.

there is a yates on pretty much every roster, i doubt we would get much at all, i would send Schaub there or any where for even a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Tolar's Ghost 10-21-2013 03:50 AM

I don't think Schaub would bring a second- or third-rounder.

Great if it would happen. But I don't see it. At least not now...maybe after the season.

I do think Yates would bring something in the fifth-round range. That's OK. I just think they (the Rams) are pretty desperate.

EllisUnit 10-21-2013 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost (Post 2235103)
I don't think Schaub would bring a second- or third-rounder.

Great if it would happen. But I don't see it. At least not now...maybe after the season.

I do think Yates would bring something in the fifth-round range. That's OK. I just think they (the Rams) are pretty desperate.

my 2nd and 3rd was best case scenario haha, who knows he might not even get us mr irrelevant.

Corrosion 10-21-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2235101)
i would send Schaub there or any where for even a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Its really hard to trade players in the NFL because of the way the salary cap works. Schaub's signing bonus makes that very unlikely. I believe they would have to eat the entire bonus under the cap now .... instead of having it spread over either the remainder of his deal or the next two seasons should he be cut after the season and designated a June 1 cut.

Also the Rams would have to have room under the cap to make to take on his salary. I don't know what their cap situation is .... but Schaub's salary is large enough that it would not be as simple as you might think.

We're stuck with Schaub being on the roster for the remainder of the season ....:rake:

TheIronDuke 10-21-2013 08:44 AM

They've seen Schaub play first-hand. They'd probably ask for us to package picks with that loser for them to take him off our hands. Same thing with Yates, they'd have no interest in either of those jokers.

gafftop 10-21-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2235121)
Its really hard to trade players in the NFL because of the way the salary cap works. Schaub's signing bonus makes that very unlikely. I believe they would have to eat the entire bonus under the cap now .... instead of having it spread over either the remainder of his deal or the next two seasons should he be cut after the season and designated a June 1 cut.

Also the Rams would have to have room under the cap to make to take on his salary. I don't know what their cap situation is .... but Schaub's salary is large enough that it would not be as simple as you might think.

We're stuck with Schaub being on the roster for the remainder of the season ....:rake:

Someone please explain to me how you think Rick Smith should still have a job as GM. He may or may not get the things that don't really matter right or wrong, but who cares when he misses on every major decision that will really mold the team for the future.

chicagotexan2 10-21-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2235140)
They've seen Schaub play first-hand. They'd probably ask for us to package picks with that loser for them to take him off our hands. Same thing with Yates, they'd have no interest in either of those jokers.

Yeah I dont see any scenario where teh Rams or any team for that matter would want to trade for Schaub or Yates.

Norg 10-21-2013 09:25 AM

best case we could get a 3rd for matt maybe but I doubt FIsher would want him esp since he seen him last week LOL

Corrosion 10-21-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gafftop (Post 2235146)
Someone please explain to me how you think Rick Smith should still have a job as GM. He may or may not get the things that don't really matter right or wrong, but who cares when he misses on every major decision that will really mold the team for the future.

I'm probably in the minority but I think they have done a reasonable job in managing the cap situation.

This season is a bitter pill to swallow because of the sky high expectations we had going in .....

silvrhand 10-21-2013 09:32 AM

Rams are done for the season as well pretty much, why would they trade for a washed up QB?

kingtexan 10-21-2013 09:40 AM

Maybe the Rams will bring in VY ...

b0ng 10-21-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2235161)
I'm probably in the minority but I think they have done a reasonable job in managing the cap situation.

This season is a bitter pill to swallow because of the sky high expectations we had going in .....

This post is correct. There's some sort of groupthink that just started that thinks everything going on is the fault of Smith. Glover Quin is a solid player, he's not some superstar, and Smith went out and tried to hit a home run with Reed to try to catch one or two more seasons of big play.

As far as the draft goes I'm pretty much going to ignore the people who will inevitably come in and talk about how any good or great draft pick we've had the past 6 years is due to <insert coordinator here>, or was lucky or whatever. Rick Smith was the only part I was really wavering on whether I'd want him to be gone in a total house cleaning at the end of the year if it were to happen (yes, even our beloved Wade Phillips).

Premier 10-21-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2235140)

idk, if they think perhaps schaub is slumping and could get it together they might bite. thats assuming they want to give bradford some competition next year, they could trade for schaub and have him under contract. i keep hearing fans of other teams saying they would take schaub in a heartbeat, people get caught up in stats.

gafftop 10-21-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2235161)

What is most important task of GM?

GK still here.
MS given contract.

If you say Rick does not have the power then we need a REAL GM, not a Kubiak buddy.

I guess we will just disagree.

Corrosion 10-21-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gafftop (Post 2235200)
What is most important task of GM?

GK still here.
MS given contract.

If you say Rick does not have the power then we need a REAL GM, not a Kubiak buddy.

I guess we will just disagree.

I don't blame Kubiak all that much either .... He wasn't the one throwing touchdowns to the other team.

I also don't blame him for sticking with Schaub .... a guy who won you 12 games last year over Yates and an undrafted Keenum (despite his play yesterday - hindsight is always 20-20).

I don't think anyone here expected such a regression by Schaub .... no one thought he would be a world beater but to say he'd look worse than JaMarcus Russell .... or Mark Sanchez ... none of us expected that.

Also , I think they came up with a rock solid gameplan for Keenum yesterday .... that was working just fine until both Foster & Tate were injured and they got behind .... The Chiefs knew they had to throw and they got to him when it mattered most.
I know a lot of people will blame the play calling .... but keeping a back in just allows them one more rusher as they have one less guy to account for down field.

If Keenum made any mistakes yesterday it was in recognizing and accounting for the blitzers - as much the OL's fault as his.

Bottom line - they had more big plays yesterday than they had all season.

gafftop 10-21-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2235211)
I don't blame Kubiak all that much either .... He wasn't the one throwing touchdowns to the other team.

I also don't blame him for sticking with Schaub .... a guy who won you 12 games last year over Yates and an undrafted Keenum (despite his play yesterday - hindsight is always 20-20).

I don't think anyone here expected such a regression by Schaub .... no one thought he would be a world beater but to say he'd look worse than JaMarcus Russell .... or Mark Sanchez ... none of us expected that.

Also , I think they came up with a rock solid gameplan for Keenum yesterday .... that was working just fine until both Foster & Tate were injured and they got behind .... The Chiefs knew they had to throw and they got to him when it mattered most.
I know a lot of people will blame the play calling .... but keeping a back in just allows them one more rusher as they have one less guy to account for down field.

If Keenum made any mistakes yesterday it was in recognizing and accounting for the blitzers - as much the OL's fault as his.

Ok, but really has nothing to do with my post about GM that you were responding to.

Playoffs 10-21-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2235211)

Exactly. :clap:

Dutchrudder 10-21-2013 10:51 AM

The Rams currently have $257,903 in available cap space, so no, they can't take Schaub's contract even if they wanted to. Yates is certainly doable, but unlikely to yield anything more than a 5th round pick.

Carr Bombed 10-21-2013 11:35 AM

Nobody would trade a hill of beans for Yates right now, he has no trade value. The league view is he is a back up QB who couldn't take advantage of a struggling starter and he just got beat out by a UDFA.. He has no trade value,