Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102624)

dalemurphy 10-20-2013 07:08 PM

Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Wow! Perhaps I am simply too big a fan of these guys to be a realist. I did not understand how physically limited Schaub was until I saw Keenum playing the position today. The movement, the release, and the opportunity for playmaking was a stark difference from what we have been dealing with- at least since the lisfranc injury.

Not only that, but he was very poised, I thought. Clearly, there were issues make hot reads and accounting for overload blitzes late in the game. However, I think the most costly mistake of the game was the decision to not activate Cierre Wood. Tate was clearly unable to do anything... KC knew it and pinned their ears back. If the Texans had the ability to run the ball, the second half goes very differently.

I must agree that this team should go forward with Keenum in two weeks. After that, we will see. Not in my most optimistic moment (and I did think we had a chance to win this game), did I expect to be so impressed with him today. Hard not to get excited about the kid. I did not see an issue with arm strength, release, size, etc... He seems to have the tools and showed the potential to be a leader, though much of that develops (or doesn't) over time.

While being very critical of Kubiak's decision to not activate Wood, I must say that he did an excellent job preparing Keenum to playing and putting together a winning gameplan for him. Who would of thought the entire game would be played from pistol... Genius, given Keenum's comfort in shotgun but also to combat the noise level.

DocBar 10-20-2013 07:19 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Good post. I am wondering about some of Kubiak's play calling and burning timeouts like they were going out of style, but all in all, I agree with what you're saying.

Lord Bills 10-20-2013 07:22 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBar (Post 2234541)
Good post. I am wondering about some of Kubiak's play calling and burning timeouts like they were going out of style, but all in all, I agree with what you're saying.

the burning of timeouts is due to the fact that he doesnt allow audible freedom and the lack of a no huddle offense.

its a complete disadvantage coaching and strategy wise.

We need a new coach that is up with the modern times in the nfl. How can you not have a no huddle QB audible system set up in 2013?

76Texan 10-20-2013 07:38 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
I think I will need to rewatch the games a few more times, but Keenum does pass the eye ball test.

ATXtexanfan 10-20-2013 07:45 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Case doesnt change our need to make qb top priority next yr

PHILLYTEXANFAN 10-20-2013 07:47 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by atxtexanfan (Post 2234632)
case doesnt change our need to make qb top priority next yr

^^^^this!!!

utahmark 10-20-2013 07:49 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Bills (Post 2234550)
the burning of timeouts is due to the fact that he doesnt allow audible freedom and the lack of a no huddle offense.

its a complete disadvantage coaching and strategy wise.

We need a new coach that is up with the modern times in the nfl. How can you not have a no huddle QB audible system set up in 2013?

Or maybe we had a QB who never started a down in the NFL before.

Rey 10-20-2013 07:51 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Thank you dale. That was a good post.

Whether case is the guy or not, it should be clear that what we had at the qb position before was not good enough.

Rey 10-20-2013 07:54 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2234603)
I think I will need to rewatch the games a few more times, but Keenum does pass the eye ball test.

Please just don't excuse away all of his mistakes 76. That'd be more fuel to the fire.

fiasco west 10-20-2013 07:54 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan (Post 2234632)
Case doesnt change our need to make qb top priority next yr

Unfortunately Newton and Smith changes our need...and perhaps Cushing...

I think Case will play well enough if he's given the chance to.

OL has been a much bigger issue and so has LB position in general.

datchapin 10-20-2013 07:56 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan (Post 2234632)
Case doesnt change our need to make qb top priority next yr

After one game of course not. However after today's performance he deserves the chance to play and make a case to be the QB moving forward. After all the years and chances Schaub was given CK should be given the opportunity to prove his worth on the team.

I like what I saw today and would like to see how he develops. My 2 cents.

AMartin56 10-20-2013 08:10 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Case deserves to start. Kubiak and Schaub need to go. Draft for value in first...take QB in the second of a deep QB draft. It's not like our 2nd round picks have been can't misses under Rick.

chicagotexan2 10-20-2013 08:14 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco west (Post 2234655)
Unfortunately Newton and Smith changes our need...and perhaps Cushing...

I think Case will play well enough if he's given the chance to.

OL has been a much bigger issue and so has LB position in general.

Newton is a worse RT than Schaub is a QB. Even if Schaub were to play again he'd get smacked like keenum because newton is awful. There are more positions to focus on with the first pick than QB.

dalemurphy 10-20-2013 08:14 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco west (Post 2234655)
Unfortunately Newton and Smith changes our need...and perhaps Cushing...

I think Case will play well enough if he's given the chance to.

OL has been a much bigger issue and so has LB position in general.

There is another reality to consider. Regardless of what you think about Kubiak, he does quite a bit with limited talent at QB. From Rosenfels, to Schaub, to Yates, to Keenum... I'm not sure that if Keenum shows well, we need to attack the position early in the draft- there are mid round possibilities, not to mention guys available in the off-season that could add significant depth. Plus, whether we keep Schaub next year or not, there will be a salary cap cost to deal with, so that also may limit our aggressiveness at that position. Also, I must say, Schaub is a heck of an option as a #2- assessing Keenum the next few weeks will determine a lot!

Also, I agree the Oline must be addressed! Newton is killing me!.. and though I like the 5th rounder who played some LG, Williams' knee injury means he should be an afterthought. They need to upgrade the position! Also, I don't think Ben Jones is the answer at Center and finding Myers' replacement is not a bad idea.

ILB!!! must be addressed. Even with Cushing, we are thin in talent at ILB. I think the Mays signing was a very good one- and while he is a plug and play guy that has playmaking ability, he is not a guy to count on the next 2 or 3 years as a starter.

Otherwise, the team will have pieces to replace at RB and need to continue to add to secondary depth. Still, I think the talent base and future looks very good... and, depending on how we overcome the Cushing loss, I think this season isn't lost yet- need to win all of our division games, though!

Finally, I am in love with our WR situation! If we have a QB that can get the ball to them like Keenum did today, the combination of Hopkins, Posey, and an aging AJ is pretty freakin' sweet!

2012Champs 10-20-2013 08:18 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
If schaub isn't 100% ;) Gary can give case another start without qb controversy

dalemurphy 10-20-2013 08:18 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 (Post 2234722)
Newton is a worse RT than Schaub is a QB. Even if Schaub were to play again he'd get smacked like keenum because newton is awful. There are more positions to focus on with the first pick than QB.

The two biggest coaching blunders today:

1. not activating Cierre Wood
2. Playing Newton instead of Harris on the final two drives of the 4th quarter. (Newton's athleticism is sometimes an asset in the run game- but, given the fact that we had no running back and the Chief defense were in attack mode, Harris needed to be in the game- he was in the 1st half on both scoring drives, I think)

Big Lou 10-20-2013 08:19 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan (Post 2234632)
Case doesnt change our need to make qb top priority next yr

Unfortunately it looks like we will be taking a LB pretty early, gonna be tough to get both.

Lord Bills 10-20-2013 08:20 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by utahmark (Post 2234641)
Or maybe we had a QB who never started a down in the NFL before.

so matt schaub was able to do this?

fiasco west 10-20-2013 08:21 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dalemurphy (Post 2234723)
There is another reality to consider. Regardless of what you think about Kubiak, he does quite a bit with limited talent at QB. From Rosenfels, to Schaub, to Yates, to Keenum... I'm not sure that if Keenum shows well, we need to attack the position early in the draft- there are mid round possibilities, not to mention guys available in the off-season that could add significant depth. Plus, whether we keep Schaub next year or not, there will be a salary cap cost to deal with, so that also may limit our aggressiveness at that position. Also, I must say, Schaub is a heck of an option as a #2- assessing Keenum the next few weeks will determine a lot!

Also, I agree the Oline must be addressed! Newton is killing me!.. and though I like the 5th rounder who played some LG, Williams' knee injury means he should be an afterthought. They need to upgrade the position! Also, I don't think Ben Jones is the answer at Center and finding Myers' replacement is not a bad idea.

ILB!!! must be addressed. Even with Cushing, we are thin in talent at ILB. I think the Mays signing was a very good one- and while he is a plug and play guy that has playmaking ability, he is not a guy to count on the next 2 or 3 years as a starter.

Otherwise, the team will have pieces to replace at RB and need to continue to add to secondary depth. Still, I think the talent base and future looks very good... and, depending on how we overcome the Cushing loss, I think this season isn't lost yet- need to win all of our division games, though!

Finally, I am in love with our WR situation! If we have a QB that can get the ball to them like Keenum did today, the combination of Hopkins, Posey, and an aging AJ is pretty freakin' sweet!

Forgot all about RB because yeah Ben Tate is gone and I'm not sure he'll be worth the price a team is going to pay him as he has problems staying healthy (even as a backup back with limited carries) and fumbles the ball more than Foster even though Foster carries it a ton more.

Good thing about the HB situation is Kubiak is historically pretty good with the run game. I think Case will prove just enough for the Texans to hold off on using a high pick at QB because we have more pressing needs like obviously the Oline which is in dire need of help right now.

YeaLikeRightNow 10-20-2013 08:22 PM

Re: Thoughts from a Schaub Supporter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco west (Post 2234655)
Unfortunately Newton and Smith changes our need...and perhaps Cushing...

I think Case will play well enough if he's given the chance to.

OL has been a much bigger issue and so has LB position in general.


Well stated...this is our "needs list" for next season!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger