Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time being. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102619)

TexansFight 10-20-2013 06:26 PM

Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time being.

Damn you Rick. Crappy cap planning. Making us let go of key Offensive Lineman like Brisiel and Winston. Newton sucked last year and we didn't do anything to improve the right side of the line. Smith got RAPED by Ed Reed. That SOB is stealing money. We are set to lose even more depth after this season. As angry and upset I am at Kubiak, I am as furious with Rick Smith. He needs to go too.

RTP2110 10-20-2013 06:31 PM

Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Dude had to save his job

PapaL 10-20-2013 06:34 PM

You should go rub one out in the bathroom. You'll feel much better. Carrying that much anger isn't good for a person. Calm down.

SchaubApologist 10-20-2013 06:41 PM

Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Who would have thought a PE Coach could not properly manage a cap?

Rick's cap management will hurt us for years after he is gone. Ouch.

Big Lou 10-20-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchaubApologist (Post 2234412)
Who would have thought a PE Coach could not properly manage a cap?

Rick's cap management will hurt us for years after he is gone. Ouch.

Well I can tell you how to save a couple of bucks, cut Ed Reeds sorry old ass.....

bOODRO87 10-20-2013 06:54 PM

The season is OVAH! :tiphat:

Surreal McCoy 10-20-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansFight (Post 2234325)
Damn you Rick. Crappy cap planning. Making us let go of key Offensive Lineman like Brisiel and Winston. Newton sucked last year and we didn't do anything to improve the right side of the line. Smith got RAPED by Ed Reed. That SOB is stealing money. We are set to lose even more depth after this season. As angry and upset I am at Kubiak, I am as furious with Rick Smith. He needs to go too.

It's not his poor cap management that should get him sacked, it's his woeful ability to judge talent. This team is absolutely bereft of talent at positions across the board, especially in the trenches - both sides.

paycheck71 10-20-2013 07:00 PM

If you think Texans have somehow mismanaged the cap catastrophically, you're insane, or at the very least don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry about this tone, but I'm tired of these threads popping up.

JamesBill 10-20-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Lou (Post 2234442)
Well I can tell you how to save a couple of bucks, cut Ed Reeds sorry old ass.....

Next year without Reed and Schaub will be better and we won't be in any sort of cap hell. Sign Tate and you can cut Foster.

That will be 15 million in dead money for 2014 but you have replaced all three players and have no penalty moving forward.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paycheck71 (Post 2234470)
If you think Texans have somehow mismanaged the cap catastrophically, you're insane, or at the very least don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry about this tone, but I'm tired of these threads popping up.

I agree, but if they don't make some bold cap moves this off season it will have long term ramifications.

Corrosion 10-20-2013 07:02 PM

Matt Schaub going from Matt Schaub to .... Jamarcus Russell closed the window.

TexansFight 10-20-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paycheck71 (Post 2234470)

If Rick has done such a bang up job with the cap, how come we have LOST depth and talent the past few years. It would have been nice to have DeMeco or Brisiel this year. OUR SITUATION IS GOING TO GET WORSE NEXT YEAR.

Rick Smith completely blew the mid round picks this year. He is no sense of urgency and is not proactive enough. Even though he knows nothing about football, I would rather have Daryl Morey in charge of the Texans than Smith.

gafftop 10-20-2013 07:07 PM

Been saying that for years.

The Pencil Neck 10-20-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bOODRO87 (Post 2234447)
The season is OVAH! :tiphat:

How can you say that? We've got a QB with some promise now and we're in control of our own destiny.

Future's bright.

Norg 10-20-2013 07:26 PM

your right signing matt schaub and ed reed and Cushing ...not knocking that but he wont be on the field

those 3 will hurt his next year since that's like money down the drain

paycheck71 10-20-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norg (Post 2234561)
your right signing matt schaub and ed reed and Cushing ...not knocking that but he wont be on the field

those 3 will hurt his next year since that's like money down the drain

Both Schaub and Reed are cuttable without major cap implications after this season. I'm not a huge fan of the Reed signing, but I'm sure that's something coaches wanted.

If you're knocking the Cushing signing, I'm not sure how to respond to that.

Norg 10-20-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paycheck71 (Post 2234577)
Both Schaub and Reed are cuttable without major cap implications after this season. I'm not a huge fan of the Reed signing, but I'm sure that's something coaches wanted.

If you're knocking the Cushing signing, I'm not sure how to respond to that.

"NOT knocking" jus saying that's now a sad thing wasted money and talent

JamesBill 10-20-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paycheck71 (Post 2234577)

You can cut Reed, jonathan joseph, and Manning with basically no penalty.

Schaub will only take up 3.5 million in cap space if you cut him in 2014 and 7 million in 2015. The cap situation is fine if you draft well.

paycheck71 10-20-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesBill (Post 2234614)
You can cut Reed, jonathan joseph, and Manning with basically no penalty.

Schaub will only take up 3.5 million in cap space if you cut him in 2014 and 7 million in 2015. The cap situation is fine if you draft well.

I may have misunderstood you, but I think you're incorrect about Schaub. He has no guaranteed money beyond this year other than the prorated bonus ($3.5MM in both 2014, 2015, and 2016). So, if they cut him after this season, there is a $10.5MM dead money cap hit that can be spread over 2 years. If they take the full hit in 2014, they still SAVE $4MM over keeping Schaub on the roster

Rey 10-20-2013 08:04 PM

I hope case plays well enough to where we don't need a qb in round 1 next year. That would be huge as far as keeping the window open. We need OL, LB's corners...safeties...

If case can build on what he did today that'd be huge for this franchise.

dream_team 10-20-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansFight (Post 2234325)

Calm down... Rick is doing a fine job I think. In this day of the NFL, all of the good teams will have to make compromises due to the cap. Read the message boards from a few years ago, the fans were not ecstatic with Eric Winston. Even though he was a good run blocker, he was exposed alot in pass pro. Briesel was over paid to go to Oakland IMO, so I'm glad we didn't try to match his contract. Plus, Brooks has some promise at RG. Lets also not forget, Smith did try to fix the RT issue in the offseason. He drafted Williams and Quesenbery... unfortunately, we lose them both to injury.