Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Coaching Leadership, would like to see it (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102529)

El Tejano 10-15-2013 09:18 AM

Coaching Leadership, would like to see it

In the past 3 weeks I've seen two coaches, Pete Carroll and Jeff Fisher, rally their troops. Pete Carroll did it in the 4th quarter when he saw his team cut down a lead, and Fis
her did it when he smelled blood in the water and felt he could come out of the game with a win. Fisher probably thought to himself that his team was young enough to give up a lead so why not rally the troops and get everyone on the same mindset.

I have yet to see Kubiak do that this season when his team needed it the most.

Some may say 'you are screwed already if you have to rally the troops' but I think a coach has to rise to the occasion when he sees his team getting beat and not looking like they want to try.Talk about winning the game and how that's more important and that we still can win etc.... Instead we just see him looking mad on the sideline.

http://http://bloximages.newyork1.vi...review-620.jpg

kingtexan 10-15-2013 09:25 AM

Re: Coaching Leadership, would like to see it

Coaching leadership to me is defined by making the correct decisions at the appropriate time, and sometimes those are not only hard decisions, but may be unpopular. If he starts Case this week then I will have much more respect for Gary than I do now. We have seen what we have with Eeyore and TJ, its time to shake things up and see if a spark can be lit.

bigmck 10-15-2013 09:31 AM

What ever the definition is, we don't have it. This guy should have never been given the extention.

bOODRO87 10-15-2013 09:34 AM

I said to my friend when Fisher had his team around him that that's what a real coach acts like. Of course my friend says, "Yeah, but how many wins does he have." He also thinks we should trade for a QB instead of drafting one because we are in "win now" mode.

:mariopalm:

IlliniJen 10-15-2013 09:40 AM

You are NEVER going to see fired up leadership from Coach Milquetoast or Matt Shrug. They form a deadly combination of "meh" when you need a "let's go out there and kick some butt!"

Mr teX 10-15-2013 09:43 AM

the "spark" argument is so overplayed. It'd be 1 thing if this team was playing well in every other facet of this game & just needed something to jump start the offense. That's not the case with this team.

inept quarterbacking
predictable & unimaginative playcalling
o-line isn't playing well at all
offense overall stagnates in the red zone
We don't create TO's
pass rush is anemic
defense on the whole can't keep anyone out of the red zone
penalties...too many at inappropriate times
Special teams are a joke

& all that isn't even mentioning the slug of a head coach we have.

A spark can definitely help with 2 of those things...maybe it can mask another. The rest are overall problems that don't project to be helped by a spark.'

Lastly, a "spark" is just that. A spark....as in temporary. We don't need a spark we need a permanent flame...a good head coach is usually the guy that keeps that flame permanently burning within his team...we don't have that...we have a guy who can't keep that flame going on his own..& only keeps it going b/c the owner keeps giving him lighter fluid.

Sigma 10-15-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr teX (Post 2230185)
the "spark" argument is so overplayed. It'd be 1 thing if this team was playing well in every other facet of this game & just needed something to jump start the offense. That's not the case with this team.

inept quarterbacking
We don't create TO's
pass rush is anemic
Special teams are a joke

A spark can definitely help with 2 of those things...maybe it can mask another. The rest are overall problems that don't project to be helped by a spark.'

Lastly, a "spark" is just that. A spark....as in temporary. We don't need a spark we need a permanent flame...a good head coach is usually the guy that keeps that flame permanently burning within his team.

I think the spark metaphore is pretty good, noone assure you that a spark could generate a roaring fire, but still you have to start from something.

maybe the team is bad just because players are bad, or maybe the team have good elements but they need something to get them to play at the level they're capable of.

IlliniJen 10-15-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr teX (Post 2230185)

inept quarterbacking
We don't create TO's
pass rush is anemic
Special teams are a joke

Lastly, a "spark" is just that. A spark....as in temporary. We don't need a spark we need a permanent flame...a good head coach is usually the guy that keeps that flame permanently burning within his team...we don't have that...we have a guy who can't keep that flame going on his own..& only keeps it going b/c the owner keeps giving him lighter fluid.

Leadership isn't just about supplying an emotional spark, it's about providing a psychological edge and getting your team ready to COMPETE every single week. Look at the mistakes (penalties) all over the field. And take a look at a long-running issue with the team not being ready to play in the first half of games. That's leadership...or rather...a lack of leadership. This coaching staff is just not getting their players to be mentally sharp.

Kubiak has a system, and he doesn't deviate from that system. At some point, predictability and complacency start to plague a system that isn't seeing success. I'm sure he probably approaches practices the same way every day, never questioning if something needs to be radically changed up because it's his "system," and he believes in it so thoroughly that he's blind to its glaring weaknesses.

You can see the inherent issues that Kubiak has with his placing faith in something and basically "setting it and forgetting it." It's not only his playcalling. Remember Richard Smith. Now Marciano. And Schaub. Kubiak has ZERO flexibility, zero adaptability. Good leaders are also creative leaders and leadership is not just about guidance, it's about contingency plans and getting out of jams. Thinking on one's feet.

Kubiak can't do any of that stuff. He. Has. His. System. The only reason he hasn't bronzed that damn Denny's menu of boring plays yet is that it would probably be too heavy to hold on the sidelines the whole game.

He needs to go. Go on, git.

2012Champs 10-15-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingtexan (Post 2230177)
Coaching leadership to me is defined by making the correct decisions at the appropriate time, and sometimes those are not only hard decisions, but may be unpopular. If he starts Case this week then I will have much more respect for Gary than I do now. We have seen what we have with Eeyore and TJ, its time to shake things up and see if a spark can be lit.

Starting Case would show a lack of leadership and folding to ignorant fan pressure. At best if you are a Case fan you would want to give him weeks of snaps with the 1st teamers in practice so if he starts it should be after the bye

Mr teX 10-15-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IlliniJen (Post 2230193)
Leadership isn't just about supplying an emotional spark, it's about providing a psychological edge and getting your team ready to COMPETE every single week. Look at the mistakes (penalties) all over the field. And take a look at a long-running issue with the team not being ready to play in the first half of games. That's leadership...or rather...a lack of leadership. This coaching staff is just not getting their players to be mentally sharp.

Kubiak has a system, and he doesn't deviate from that system. At some point, predictability and complacency start to plague a system that isn't seeing success. I'm sure he probably approaches practices the same way every day, never questioning if something needs to be radically changed up because it's his "system," and he believes in it so thoroughly that he's blind to its glaring weaknesses.

You can see the inherent issues that Kubiak has with his placing faith in something and basically "setting it and forgetting it." It's not only his playcalling. Remember Richard Smith. Now Marciano. And Schaub. Kubiak has ZERO flexibility, zero adaptability. Good leaders are also creative leaders and leadership is not just about guidance, it's about contingency plans and getting out of jams. Thinking on one's feet.

Kubiak can't do any of that stuff. He. Has. His. System. The only reason he hasn't bronzed that damn Denny's menu of boring plays yet is that it would probably be too heavy to hold on the sidelines the whole game.

Couldn't agree more and really that was my overal point, MSR. After 8 years, you can't hide this team's overall issues anymore.

thunderkyss 10-15-2013 10:41 AM

In all honesty, I want to see the team ask the fans for their support. I want Kubiak & Schaub especially to come out & say, "We screwed up. We're sorry. I promise to do my best from here on out. You will see a difference in the way I play/coach. But I'm human, there will still be some mistakes. I need your support.

"Our goals have not changed, we want to win you a championship. But we're going to need your help. Not just on Sunday, but all week. Monday to Sunday we need your support.

"Thank you."

Mr teX 10-15-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2230208)
In all honesty, I want to see the team ask the fans for their support. I want Kubiak & Schaub especially to come out & say, "We screwed up. We're sorry. I promise to do my best from here on out. You will see a difference in the way I play/coach. But I'm human, there will still be some mistakes. I need your support.

"Our goals have not changed, we want to win you a championship. But we're going to need your help. Not just on Sunday, but all week. Monday to Sunday we need your support.

"Thank you."

Appeal to the masses eh? Well, i guess if we're in fairy tale land, that might work for like a week...then after a really bad loss where the same issues crop up that have been plaguing this team, then what would he do? Start taking calls on the radio about starting line up changes? Taking advice from fans is the absolute worst thing he could do as the leader of this team.

As it is him starting Case Keenum proports to be the equivalent of a Hail Mary for this season.

bOODRO87 10-15-2013 10:56 AM

Yeah, we don't pay you millions for you to publicly ask for support. Your pay check should be way more than enough. A coach should never have to do that and I'm sure that would be the last nail.

2012Champs 10-15-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bOODRO87 (Post 2230220)
Yeah, we don't pay you millions for you to publicly ask for support. Your pay check should be way more than enough. A coach should never have to do that and I'm sure that would be the last nail.

Envy can be an evil thing

Kaiser Toro 10-15-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012Champs (Post 2230198)
Starting Case would show a lack of leadership and folding to ignorant fan pressure. At best if you are a Case fan you would want to give him weeks of snaps with the 1st teamers in practice so if he starts it should be after the bye

Or, it comes down to who Kubiak thinks give this team not just an opportunity to pull out a win, but provide a spark on offense. That choice is Yates or Keenum due to the injury. Yates got snaps on Sunday, give Keenum the snaps this week and make the call.

Seems pretty simple...for a leader.

thunderkyss 10-15-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bOODRO87 (Post 2230220)

I need to know they're playing for more than a paycheck.

cuppacoffee 10-15-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr teX (Post 2230216)
Appeal to the masses eh? Well, i guess if we're in fairy tale land, that might work for like a week...then after a really bad loss where the same issues crop up that have been plaguing this team, then what would he do? Start taking calls on the radio about starting line up changes? Taking advice from fans is the absolute worst thing he could do as the leader of this team.

As it is him starting Case Keenum proports to be the equivalent of a Hail Mary for this season.

I suspect the rest of the season will be Cases training camp, and yes, it is a hail Mary move.

Gotta know if we have to go all out for a qb in the next draft.

Our own version of "suck for Luck". But I honestly don't see anyone remotely resembling Luck being available.

Schaub will probably be ir'd the rest of the year. Then gone.

My :twocents: :coffee:

2012Champs 10-15-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro (Post 2230222)
Or, it comes down to who Kubiak thinks give this team not just an opportunity to pull out a win, but provide a spark on offense. That choice is Yates or Keenum due to the injury. Yates got snaps on Sunday, give Keenum the snaps this week and make the call.

Seems pretty simple...for a leader.

A week of snaps for someone who has taken zero, that should be enough

Kaiser Toro 10-15-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012Champs (Post 2230236)
A week of snaps for someone who has taken zero, that should be enough

Just to be on the same page as you, how many snaps does one need to be enough? Has Yates had that amount of snaps this year?

silvrhand 10-15-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IlliniJen (Post 2230193)

MSR...