Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Rate these quarterbacks (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102418)

Seegara 10-09-2013 07:44 PM

Rate these quarterbacks
 
Among these 3 bad QB's, what do you think?

Uncle Rico 10-09-2013 08:16 PM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Say what you will but Gabbert and McGee put together have never thrown for 4000+ yards in a season so lumping Schaub with those types may be going too far. Schaub to me is in the Jay Cutler/Philip Rivers tier.

IlliniJen 10-09-2013 08:32 PM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
This poll lacks any sense of: a relative order of magnitude.

Texecutioner 10-09-2013 09:10 PM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Rico (Post 2226317)
Say what you will but Gabbert and McGee put together have never thrown for 4000+ yards in a season so lumping Schaub with those types may be going too far. Schaub to me is in the Jay Cutler/Philip Rivers tier.

Uuumm yeah, like 3 years ago you could say that. But as of now, only a delusional blind person wouldn't lump Schaub with those guys. Just look at Schaub's numbers from the last 4 games of last season up until now. His numbers are horrible, his mobility is worse then all of them, and he has the record for throwing TD's to the other team.

Trying to compare Schaub to Rivers and Cutler at this current time is laughable.

Rey 10-09-2013 11:26 PM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
I don't even like Schaub as a qb, but gabbert and what's his face are not on matts level.

eriadoc 10-09-2013 11:48 PM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Gabbert has a QBR of 36 on the season. As bad as Schaub has been, he has a 76.9 QBR (which is bad). QBs that have a better rating than Schaub include Sam Bradford, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Brian Hoyer, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, Terrelle Pryor, and Jake Locker. Put a few of those in the poll and it'd be an interesting choice.

Sigma 10-10-2013 04:21 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
I voted S>G>M

but if you think Schaub is bad for the texans then you should vote him #3

G>M>S

Gabbert is easy the best:
1- he is crap
2- he is in our division

McGee just doesn't matter, so it's not good nor bad (#2)

ATXtexanfan 10-10-2013 04:47 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2226346)
Uuumm yeah, like 3 years ago you could say that. But as of now, only a delusional blind person wouldn't lump Schaub with those guys. Just look at Schaub's numbers from the last 4 games of last season up until now. His numbers are horrible, his mobility is worse then all of them, and he has the record for throwing TD's to the other team.

Trying to compare Schaub to Rivers and Cutler at this current time is laughable.

Yup

Uncle Rico 10-10-2013 06:08 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2226346)
Uuumm yeah, like 3 years ago you could say that. But as of now, only a delusional blind person wouldn't lump Schaub with those guys. Just look at Schaub's numbers from the last 4 games of last season up until now. His numbers are horrible, his mobility is worse then all of them, and he has the record for throwing TD's to the other team.

Trying to compare Schaub to Rivers and Cutler at this current time is laughable.

I'm using an overall body of work to make my assessment, not the "what have you done for me lately" frame of thought.

HJam72 10-10-2013 07:19 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
On the bright side, Schaub's overall TD passes have gone way up. :kitten:

dream_team 10-10-2013 07:32 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Rico (Post 2226428)
I'm using an overall body of work to make my assessment, not the "what have you done for me lately" frame of thought.

I agree. Cutler & Rivers have both went through patches in their career. They have both gotten boo'd and fans wanted them out. But their teams stuck with them and both are currently having good seasons.

deucetx 10-10-2013 08:09 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dream_team (Post 2226446)
I agree. Cutler & Rivers have both went through patches in their career. They have both gotten boo'd and fans wanted them out. But their teams stuck with them and both are currently having good seasons.

Not a great example. For one, jury still out on Cutler. There's a reason they didn't go to the negotiation table on his contract yet. But in any case, these teams waited over the period of 1-2 seasons for these guys to 'turn it around'. They are younger where as Schaub is in his 30's already, been in this system for quite some time and has a load of talent around him. Schaub already had the benefit of a team being built around him unlike those two. It already has been built around him. He now needs to step up and do something with that team.

What Schaub did in the past is nice and all but what matters is what he can and will do right now. Unless your name is Peyton Manning you don't generally become leaps and bounds better as you age in this league. He needs to step his game up right now.

And the comparison is a stretch for this poll. Gabbert can't even complete 50% of his passes and McGee isn't even in the league. Schaub is playing piss poor but he hasn't came close to dropping to their level.

Uncle Rico 10-10-2013 08:22 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Everyone last year said Rivers was done, seems to me like. He's had a pretty good year thus far.

Like it or not Schaub will be the QB next year also, no way Bobby Mac is going to lose 20 M's (or whatever the cap hit/dead money is) to appease the fans.

If a change gets made we either A) tank or B) trade Arian Foster for a 1st rounder or on draft day to get a top prospect and even then Schaub would start until the kid would be ready. Not sure the HWWNBN trial by fire method would go over well with a shoddy line.

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

kingtexan 10-10-2013 09:25 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2226391)
I don't even like Schaub as a qb, but gabbert and what's his face are not on matts level.

I agree, neither one of them has ever thrown four pick-six's in a row.

infantrycak 10-10-2013 09:31 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by deucetx (Post 2226455)
They are younger where as Schaub is in his 30's ...

Cutler is 30 and Rivers is about to turn 32.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Rico (Post 2226460)
ELike it or not Schaub will be the QB next year also, no way Bobby Mac is going to lose 20 M's (or whatever the cap hit/dead money is) to appease the fans.

There is no new money in cutting Schaub. The only issue is in accounting for money already spent. Now if he stays there will be new money paid out to the tune of $11 mil.

kingtexan 10-10-2013 09:35 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Rico (Post 2226460)
Like it or not Schaub will be the QB next year also, no way Bobby Mac is going to lose 20 M's (or whatever the cap hit/dead money is) to appease the fans.

Loses more than that in tickets, concessions, and merchandise by putting crap on the field.

SCOTTexans 10-10-2013 09:39 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingtexan (Post 2226491)
Loses more than that in tickets, concessions, and merchandise by putting crap on the field.

The stands will still sell out with Schaub there...

infantrycak 10-10-2013 09:42 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTTexans (Post 2226493)
The stands will still sell out with Schaub there...

And merchandise is split league wide so there is minimal direct impact.

Uncle Rico 10-10-2013 10:58 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2226484)
Cutler is 30 and Rivers is about to turn 32.



There is no new money in cutting Schaub. The only issue is in accounting for money already spent. Now if he stays there will be new money paid out to the tune of $11 mil.

So 11M if he stays as QB next year. What is the dead money if he's cut this year or in the off-season, admittedly I know very little when it comes to cap management, only that nobody likes to give away money. I hated the extension they have him for the scenario that is being played out currently.

Piss,moan and boycott all you guys want Reliant will stay full, no way in hell will this city play chicken with an owner and have the franchise leave town in the middle of the night again.

thunderkyss 10-10-2013 11:33 AM

Re: Rate these quarterbacks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by deucetx (Post 2226455)
Not a great example. For one, jury still out on Cutler. There's a reason they didn't go to the negotiation table on his contract yet. But in any case, these teams waited over the period of 1-2 seasons for these guys to 'turn it around'. They are younger where as Schaub is in his 30's already, been in this system for quite some time and has a load of talent around him. Schaub already had the benefit of a team being built around him unlike those two. It already has been built around him. He now needs to step up and do something with that team.

Rivers & Schaub were in the same draft. They're practically the same age. Jay Cutler was drafted two years later. Both guys came into the league as starters, Cutler had two franchises built around him & Rivers has had at least two teams built around him, the last two/three years has been a rebuilding process for them more or less. They've been losing a lot of talent on both sides of the ball & not really doing a good job of replacing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deucetx (Post 2226455)
What Schaub did in the past is nice and all but what matters is what he can and will do right now. Unless your name is Peyton Manning you don't generally become leaps and bounds better as you age in this league. He needs to step his game up right now.

My personal opinion is that for the last 5 games, Matt has been trying to come out of that conservative shell that we don't like. I think there are two ways to go from here.
  1. Schaub can push forward & continue to try to make plays & the rest of the team step up. This means he continues to push his comfort level & take more chances. He'll continue to make mistakes, there will be more INTs to come, most likely some pick 6es.

    I know at one time we said we were ok with that. With a dominant run game, a dominant defense, & a bad ass punter, we should be able to overcome mistakes made by an aggressive offense.
    .
  2. Schaub goes back to his old ways & the rest of the team step up. Very unpopular opinion, but Schaub played his average game against the Patriots in the divisional round. Foster (the OL) & the defense didn't step up the way we needed them to.

    Schaub is definitely an anchor, slowing us down.... but not so much that he's holding us back. Well, if he remains as mistake prone as he's been this year he'll be holding us back if the defense doesn't stop allowing 70+ yard TD scoring drives & the run game can't keep us out of 3rd & long (penalties got us against SF moreso than the run game). But I'm blindly hoping he cuts way back on the turn overs.

Pleas don't think I'm absolving Schaub of any mistakes, blame, or responsibility. I've given up on him being better than he is. Realistically if the rest of the team does not step up, we don't have a chance. Schaub is Schaub. "Fixing" Schaub isn't going to get us "Peyton Manning" it's going to get us regular season Joe Flacco.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger