Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Keenum vs Manziel (Sumlin System) (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102400)

legacy_gt 10-08-2013 10:32 PM

Keenum vs Manziel (Sumlin System)

Not sure if this was posted.

But it is very entertaining considering people would like to draft Johnny.
Check it if you haven't read it before.

http://sportswunderkind.com/johnny-m...f-case-keenum/

Bulls on Parade 10-08-2013 10:35 PM

Re: Keenum vs Manziel (Sumlin System)

We all know Kubiak will adore Manziel being an Aggie and all.

eriadoc 10-08-2013 10:36 PM

I would argue that RG3 should be considered as well. Same system.

legacy_gt 10-08-2013 10:39 PM

interesting stats and comparisons on their play against BCS teams.

htownfan32 10-08-2013 10:44 PM

One honest question.

Let's put Keenum in behind center on September 14, 2013 against Alabama in College Station.

Do you think he could have done what Manziel did?

Also, Manziel is not my first choice for this team. It's Hundley and my second choice is Tajh Boyd.

legacy_gt 10-08-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htownfan32 (Post 2225627)
One honest question.

Let's put Keenum in behind center on September 14, 2013 against Alabama in College Station.

Also, Manziel is not my first choice for this team. It's Hundley and my second choice is Tajh Boyd.

no doubt. keenum did more because he had less. but that's my opinion.

legacy_gt 10-08-2013 10:48 PM

folks can't call keenum a system QB without calling Johnny one too. Both from the same system.

htownfan32 10-08-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legacy_gt (Post 2225628)
no doubt. keenum did more because he had less. but that's my opinion.

Okay, I can buy that. But he didn't do it against any defense of Alabama's caliber. Ok St. and Penn State are great teams, but to compare their defenses to Alabama's... Heck, even the one SEC team listed, Mississippi St., isn't exactly top tier SEC competition.

legacy_gt 10-08-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htownfan32 (Post 2225632)
Okay, I can buy that. But he didn't do it against any defense of Alabama's caliber. Ok St. and Penn State are great teams, but to compare their defenses to Alabama's... Heck, even the one SEC team listed, Mississippi St., isn't exactly top tier SEC competition.

with sumlin at coach, aggie defense, and offense case could have done the same thing imo.

in matters with the Texans though, something needs to change. I'm rooting for TJ to start to be honest. That's more realistic at this moment.

If Schaub starts, he'll probably win Sunday but then lose again and we'll be back again with the same problem.

Mr teX 10-08-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legacy_gt (Post 2225606)
Not sure if this was posted.

But it is very entertaining considering people would like to draft Johnny.
Check it if you haven't read it before.

http://sportswunderkind.com/johnny-m...f-case-keenum/

I caught hell in the johnny manziel thread saying pretty much everything this guy said...Manziel isnt anymore talented than Case...i'd argue case is more talented than Manziel....the biggest thing that separates them in what they were able to achieve in terms of individual accolades and team success is talent around them and conference bias.

As i said in the manziel thread, people were enamored with his numbers and shocked that he was able to put up numbers in the mighty SEC...dont. Get me wrong, they were good for a freshman but certainly not heisman worthy. Over half of his TD's came against non-SEC teams. He performed great against Bama and was a big reason why they won...but its not like we hadnt seen that before. Hell, A&M's own Reggie Mcneal did the same thing to OU when they were #1 as a frosh.....and he came off the bench to do it.

the reality of it is is that conference bias is the single biggest thing
That screws up evaluating talent.

Mr teX 10-08-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2225613)
I would argue that RG3 should be considered as well. Same system.

No, RG3 played under briles....kevin kolb though put up numbers in briles' system.....and well....

htownfan32 10-08-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legacy_gt (Post 2225635)
with sumlin at coach, aggie defense, and offense case could have done the same thing imo.

in matters with the Texans though, something needs to change. I'm rooting for TJ to start to be honest. That's more realistic at this moment.

If Schaub starts, he'll probably win Sunday but then lose again and we'll be back again with the same problem.

Well, that's up for grabs. If someone called Manziel Case Keenum with mobility, I might not argue all that much.

Again, like I said before... if Case is indeed the savior of this franchise I will eat my crow and buy a Keenum jersey to prove it.

Carr Bombed 10-08-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htownfan32 (Post 2225632)

Oh no, Aggie fan has already become "SEC guy". :kubepalm: :)

htownfan32 10-08-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr Bombed (Post 2225643)
Oh no, Aggie fan has already become "SEC guy". :kubepalm: :)

Heh heh. What can I say? It's almost like a disease, except you love it. :bender:

Look, Case or TJ, if I see either one under center instead of Schaub I'll be dancing with glee. That much I think the vast majority of us can agree on

legacy_gt 10-08-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htownfan32 (Post 2225639)
Well, that's up for grabs. If someone called Manziel Case Keenum with mobility, I might not argue all that much.

Again, like I said before... if Case is indeed the savior of this franchise I will eat my crow and buy a Keenum jersey to prove it.

Even as a Keenum fan since way back, I still have some doubts. But I just want to see what he does in a real NFL game.

thitch 10-08-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htownfan32 (Post 2225627)
One honest question.

In 2007 at Alabama Keenum came in halfway through the 3rd quarter down 7 to 23 and was just 15 yards shy of the win.

Lucky 10-08-2013 11:10 PM

This article is about Manziel and how he compares with Keenum as a college prospect. Nothing about Keenum as a Texan. Moved to the correct forum.

legacy_gt 10-08-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thitch (Post 2225652)
In 2007 at Alabama Keenum came in halfway through the 3rd quarter down 7 to 23 and was just 15 yards shy of the win.

during that year, keenum shared QB duties with Blake and had not started.

Insideop 10-09-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htownfan32 (Post 2225647)
Heh heh. What can I say? It's almost like a disease, except you love it. :bender:

Look, Case or TJ, if I see either one under center instead of Schaub I'll be dancing with glee. That much I think the vast majority of us can agree on

Yeah, I have to agree with this, but a part of me really wants to see what Case can do. Even though TJ looked good at times when he played in 2011 and got us to the playoffs, I just think of him as a more mobile stronger armed version of Schaub. Now, that's not saying he can't get it done, and I fully expect Kubes to go with TJ if there's going to be a change, but I just think Case has that "it" factor and I'm not sure TJ does.

Mr teX 10-09-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insideop (Post 2225955)
Yeah, I have to agree with this, but a part of me really wants to see what Case can do. Even though TJ looked good at times when he played in 2011 and got us to the playoffs, I just think of him as a more mobile stronger armed version of Schaub. Now, that's not saying he can't get it done, and I fully expect Kubes to go with TJ if there's going to be a change, but I just think Case has that "it" factor and I'm not sure TJ does.

This is the problem i have with the Keenum brigade....they keep saying that Yates just looks like another schaub clone.

Well, Case & TJ have virtually the same skill sets. Yates' arm isn't that much stronger than Cases' and Case isn't that much faster than Yates. If you feel that Yates is just another "schaub clone" in this system, What on earth convinces you that Case is going to look so radically different from Yates in this system?