Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102373)

gafftop 10-08-2013 06:56 AM

Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
I can't wait to see GK's game plan this week.
Did we run a naked boot last week? I think GK figured out that play is DEAD.
GK might have figured out pass to 80 outside is DEAD, maybe?
Short dump over middle might be DEAD? Actually may be an option.
I guess we can try and keep them honest deep a few times but MS seemed to have an accuracy problem and really can't throw deep.
In fact based on last week he seemed to be off on all throws longer than the check down and pass to RB's

Hard to threaten a team when your gun shoots blanks and the other guy knows it. Or he knows you have no gun at all.

So do we see a whole lot of running? I am sure GK already knows better than I what his options are based on his coming up with past game plan. Maybe not because he still called the "SCHAUB" last week multiple times.

Seriously what is an effective game plan with MS at QB?

I still say game planning against MS and GK is a defensive coordinators DREAM. Remember Saban article in SI a few weeks back in reference to preparing for A&M game.

What does GK come up with???

cstyle42 10-08-2013 07:38 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Simply pressure Schaub at the line of scrimmage and easily read the body language of Schaub and the play calling of Kubiak.

silvrhand 10-08-2013 07:43 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gafftop (Post 2224965)
I can't wait to see GK's game plan this week.
Did we run a naked boot last week? I think GK figured out that play is DEAD.
GK might have figured out pass to 80 outside is DEAD, maybe?
Short dump over middle might be DEAD? Actually may be an option.
I guess we can try and keep them honest deep a few times but MS seemed to have an accuracy problem and really can't throw deep.
In fact based on last week he seemed to be off on all throws longer than the check down and pass to RB's

Hard to threaten a team when your gun shoots blanks and the other guy knows it. Or he knows you have no gun at all.

So do we see a whole lot of running? I am sure GK already knows better than I what his options are based on his coming up with past game plan. Maybe not because he still called the "SCHAUB" last week multiple times.

Seriously what is an effective game plan with MS at QB?

I still say game planning against MS and GK is a defensive coordinators DREAM. Remember Saban article in SI a few weeks back in reference to preparing for A&M game.

What does GK come up with???

Nothing, he'll continue to run the gimmick offense with no down the field threat, the team we face will play zone, start to switch to man and then eventually start blitzing us like a hooker on crack cocaine.. Jeff Fisher will be very aggressive, as he always is on defense. Matt will crumble up before he even gets hit, and go down, and hopefully it won't be a 5 game pick 6 streak. Although if it gets Kubiak fired, I'm all for a 8 game pick 6 streak.

Game over.

Runner 10-08-2013 08:10 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Maybe: run run run run slant run outlet pass run run...

Then praise after game for Schaub's gutsy turnaround.

Corrosion 10-08-2013 09:55 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrhand (Post 2224971)
Nothing, he'll continue to run the gimmick offense with no down the field threat.

He's bound to that if he sticks with Schaub .... his arm is dead. I rewatched the game last night since my internet was down and I couldn't argue with you all.

Its quite obvious he has lost some (a LOT) of velocity .... why I think has to do with footwork and the lisfranc. He's throwing off the back foot or just not following thru more times than not. That tells me consciously or not he's compensating for the foot.


Don't expect downfield throws if Schaub is under center.

Rey 10-08-2013 10:45 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Schaub is struggling because he hasn't gotten as many easy throws this year. He looks the same to me. But since teams are playing the bootlegs with more discipline and you have (1) a defender in Schaub's face when he rolls out (2) solid coverage over the top, he can't make a play.

He's never been a guy that is going to sit in the pocket all game and pick you apart. He's leaned on the back of this offense and now when teams are playing it with more discipline he struggles.

cstyle42 10-08-2013 10:58 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2225034)
Schaub is struggling because he hasn't gotten as many easy throws this year. He looks the same to me. But since teams are playing the bootlegs with more discipline and you have (1) a defender in Schaub's face when he rolls out (2) solid coverage over the top, he can't make a play.

He's never been a guy that is going to sit in the pocket all game and pick you apart. He's leaned on the back of this offense and now when teams are playing it with more discipline he struggles.

Too many of us texan fans don't understand what you just stated. This is exactly why I've been saying Schaub is the same Quarterback he has always been.

Giant Tiger 10-08-2013 11:01 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner (Post 2224976)
Maybe: run run run run slant run outlet pass run run...

Then praise after game for Schaub's gutsy turnaround.

How about if we try running the wildcat the entire game? :stirpot: :heh:

mussop 10-08-2013 11:04 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrhand (Post 2224971)
Nothing, he'll continue to run the gimmick offense with no down the field threat, the team we face will play zone, start to switch to man and then eventually start blitzing us like a hooker on crack cocaine.. Jeff Fisher will be very aggressive, as he always is on defense. Matt will crumble up before he even gets hit, and go down, and hopefully it won't be a 5 game pick 6 streak. Although if it gets Kubiak fired, I'm all for a 8 game pick 6 streak.

Game over.

I just can't understand why we don't go to our TEs on quick slants or crossing routes or deep slants when defenses start blitzing LBs. Anyway great post.

Corrosion 10-08-2013 11:08 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2225034)
Schaub is struggling because he hasn't gotten as many easy throws this year. He looks the same to me. But since teams are playing the bootlegs with more discipline and you have (1) a defender in Schaub's face when he rolls out (2) solid coverage over the top, he can't make a play.

He's never been a guy that is going to sit in the pocket all game and pick you apart. He's leaned on the back of this offense and now when teams are playing it with more discipline he struggles.

I don't know if you have any games from early last year , but if you do , watch any from the first quarter of the season and then any from this season and compare .... Its quite obvious when doing so that Schaubs velocity is GONE (what little he had to begin with).

bOODRO87 10-08-2013 11:11 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
I'm thinking he'll bounce back for St. Louis but totally gets embarrassed at Arrowhead playing against KC's solid defense. That's when the playoff collapse really begins.

:doot:

HOU-TEX 10-08-2013 11:15 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Schaub shouldn't be needed in this game, imo. Run Foster and Tate the entire game. Their run defense is horrible.

This should be an easy W no matter how bad Schaub has been. Run the dang ball and crush Bradford.

If we lose this one it's ovah

Trail.Blazr 10-08-2013 11:39 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gafftop (Post 2224965)
I can't wait to see GK's game plan this week.
Did we run a naked boot last week? I think GK figured out that play is DEAD.
GK might have figured out pass to 80 outside is DEAD, maybe?
Short dump over middle might be DEAD? Actually may be an option.
I guess we can try and keep them honest deep a few times but MS seemed to have an accuracy problem and really can't throw deep.
In fact based on last week he seemed to be off on all throws longer than the check down and pass to RB's

Hard to threaten a team when your gun shoots blanks and the other guy knows it. Or he knows you have no gun at all.

So do we see a whole lot of running? I am sure GK already knows better than I what his options are based on his coming up with past game plan. Maybe not because he still called the "SCHAUB" last week multiple times.

Seriously what is an effective game plan with MS at QB?

I still say game planning against MS and GK is a defensive coordinators DREAM. Remember Saban article in SI a few weeks back in reference to preparing for A&M game.

What does GK come up with???

I have that pegged as the VERY first offensive play call, since only a D-Bag would do it. Unlike last week, where there were two run plays before it.

Rey 10-08-2013 11:43 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2225052)
I don't know if you have any games from early last year , but if you do , watch any from the first quarter of the season and then any from this season and compare .... Its quite obvious when doing so that Schaubs velocity is GONE (what little he had to begin with).

I noted early last year that Schaub's arm looked more lively than it had at any point in his career. Don't need to go watch the games. I could probably find posts where I said that last year.

But I think that was an aberration. Matt has always been a lobber more than a zinger. Maybe it is worse now. It probably is. But instill think he's about the same guy he's always been.

I don't think Matt would play this poorly all the time. I think we can win with him if the rest of the team is not making mistakes. But when he's playing like this it doesn't matter. Either way I think he's either a burden or a huge burden.

Hervoyel 10-08-2013 11:44 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2225055)
Schaub shouldn't be needed in this game, imo. Run Foster and Tate the entire game. Their run defense is horrible.

This should be an easy W no matter how bad Schaub has been. Run the dang ball and crush Bradford.

If we lose this one it's ovah

If we manage to win this one but haven't changed a thing it's still over.

I think this game is going to be the one that delays real change for two more weeks and ends up putting us at 3-4. We beat the Rams, everyone smiles and relaxes, and then the Chiefs bring us and Schaub back down to earth. 3-4 record.

Then we see the Colts and Luck coming to visit and we end our first half of the season getting our asses beaten at home to fall to 3-5

The time to make that change is right now with a fairly modest challenge coming here. The time to let TJ or Case take the reins is in front of a grateful and supporting home crowd against an opponent that neither one of them would have to be a hero to beat. That gives them time to get settled before visiting KC and two weeks of playing before they face the Colts back here.

If we run Schaub out there and he muddles through a win without screwing up too bad and that is followed by a bunch of "We always knew he had it in him" back slapping then we're really screwed because the good teams aren't going to stop coming and nothing will have really changed.

We'll be seeing a lot of this after Matt and the Texans beat St. Louis

:kubepalm:

Rey 10-08-2013 11:49 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
I don't think we are beating the rams if Schaub plays. Rams have some good players.

Thorn 10-08-2013 11:56 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Quote:

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
Rams players nap on their bench while Schaub throws footballs at them.

WolverineFan 10-08-2013 11:56 AM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2225087)
I don't think we are beating the rams if Schaub plays. Rams have some good players.

Their DL is very good, they can get after the QB. They have good LB's too and their CB's are excellent. Safety is by far the weak link in their defense.

They're going to get pressure and Schaub is going to crumble like he always does when he's about to get hit. I wouldn't be surprised to see his streak of INT games go to 9 or 10 in a row (whatever it is now).

Corrosion 10-08-2013 12:00 PM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2225078)
I noted early last year that Schaub's arm looked more lively than it had at any point in his career. Don't need to go watch the games. I could probably find posts where I said that last year.

But I think that was an aberration. Matt has always been a lobber more than a zinger. Maybe it is worse now. It probably is. But instill think he's about the same guy he's always been.

I don't think Matt would play this poorly all the time. I think we can win with him if the rest of the team is not making mistakes. But when he's playing like this it doesn't matter. Either way I think he's either a burden or a huge burden.

This is a league where very little separates the good from the bad. I don't think we realize how thin the line is ....

Schaub's never had a big arm ... probably had just enough to get by. For a guy limited physically like him , any loss of ability is .... enough to take him from serviceable to poor. I really believe this is what we are seeing.

silvrhand 10-08-2013 12:55 PM

Re: Guess the Ram's game plan with Matt at QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 2225048)
I just can't understand why we don't go to our TEs on quick slants or crossing routes or deep slants when defenses start blitzing LBs. Anyway great post.

Few Reasons:

- we don't have anyone that can beat man to man coverage.
- TE's are taken away by CB's or good LB's, such as SF's, and the safeties start playing closer to the LOS which closes in on the seam routes as you have to get it over the top of the LB, in front of the safety.
- we get behind and the run game is no longer a threat for the LB's to worrry about.
- we get double A gap blitzed because noone worries about Matt "escaping" the pocket, which makes it even harder for him to see anything over the center of the field.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger