Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   A Question on the WCO with the Texans (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102325)

DocBar 10-06-2013 08:59 PM

A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Do the Texans run a different version of the WCO that predicates hitting a receiver standing at a spot on the field instead of hitting a receiver in stride and gaining YAC? Most of Schaub's throws are either to a receiver sitting down or dragging across a formation, not so many short, vertical routes.

Is this difference due to the run heavy version of Shannahan and Kubiak? Is it because Schaub can't properly lead a receiver to catch a ball in stride?

Either way, defenses have caught up and are baiting Schaub into INT's at such a pace that I will not watch or closely follow the Texans until a change is made at either the QB position or the HC position.

An additional question based on my last paragraph: could this be a coup set up by Phillips to become the next HC of the Texans? That's his MO and the Texans are very good on defense for the majority of games. It's kind of odd to be the #1 defense and giving up 90+ yd drives for TD's like they're going out of style.

Texian 10-06-2013 09:31 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Kubiak O has become to predictable, opposing D familiar with routes and Schaub is throwing to primary and telegraphing throws. Not going through progression, likely to get ball out quicker.

DocBar 10-06-2013 09:44 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texian (Post 2223497)
Kubiak O has become to predictable, opposing D familiar with routes and Schaub is throwing to primary and telegraphing throws. Not going through progression, likely to get ball out quicker.

Which lies more on the QB than the play caller.

Texian 10-06-2013 09:50 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBar (Post 2223600)
Which lies more on the QB than the play caller.

I think that it might be coaching that has Matt trying to get the ball out quicker to avoid giving up sacks

RTP2110 10-06-2013 10:27 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
The philosophy of this offense is to establish the run game, which in turn brings the LB's and safeties up to the line, then you throw over the top. The only way it can work is you actually do throw over the top sometimes. Right now everything this offense does is inside of a 15 yard bubble, which makes it uber easy to defend.

hradhak 10-06-2013 10:33 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBar (Post 2223338)
Do the Texans run a different version of the WCO that predicates hitting a receiver standing at a spot on the field instead of hitting a receiver in stride and gaining YAC? Most of Schaub's throws are either to a receiver sitting down or dragging across a formation, not so many short, vertical routes.

Is this difference due to the run heavy version of Shannahan and Kubiak? Is it because Schaub can't properly lead a receiver to catch a ball in stride?

Either way, defenses have caught up and are baiting Schaub into INT's at such a pace that I will not watch or closely follow the Texans until a change is made at either the QB position or the HC position.

An additional question based on my last paragraph: could this be a coup set up by Phillips to become the next HC of the Texans? That's his MO and the Texans are very good on defense for the majority of games. It's kind of odd to be the #1 defense and giving up 90+ yd drives for TD's like they're going out of style.

Schaub was actually making those throws the first few years in the Kubiak system. Our offense was a lot more dynamic where we were throwing it down the field and stretching the defense.

I'm not sure what happened this season, but I think Kubiak has become more conservative in the playcalling which is the exact opposite of what we should be doing. We need to stretch the defense out more in order to open up the underneath routes.

Our only hope at this point is that Kubiak opens it up more. Otherwise defenses are going to jumping the routes all season.

Norg 10-06-2013 10:36 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
we are running the bad version of the WCO


Seriously u know how many versions and Wrinkles are in the WCO prob over 1,0000 every team prob run some WCO but the good runs don't stick to one system

leebigeztx 10-06-2013 10:38 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Think players,not plays. As much as I like hopkins and my love for andre,the texans don't have a wr who can step on toes.They don't have a vertical threat anywhere on the field. Andre is more of an intermediate threat and hopkins is a jumpball guy.Neither te has to be bracketed and can't whip lbs. Its a slow,plodding offense that can't explode down the field. If a team can cloud the middle,the texans are gonna struggle.

drs23 10-06-2013 10:41 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hradhak (Post 2223867)
Schaub was actually making those throws the first few years in the Kubiak system. Our offense was a lot more dynamic where we were throwing it down the field and stretching the defense.

I'm not sure what happened this season, but I think Kubiak has become more conservative in the playcalling which is the exact opposite of what we should be doing. We need to stretch the defense out more in order to open up the underneath routes.

Our only hope at this point is that Kubiak opens it up more. Otherwise defenses are going to jumping the routes all season.

Who's going to throw it to do that?

I know Yates is mopping up in garbage time but you guys know as well as I do #8 will be trotting out under center next week.

The rest of this season is looking grim, very grim.

EVOLVIST 10-06-2013 10:43 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norg (Post 2223877)
Seriously u know how many versions and Wrinkles are in the WCO

I've got more wrinkles on my penis than Gary has in his WCO...and I'm a young man!

hradhak 10-06-2013 10:55 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drs23 (Post 2223896)
Who's going to throw it to do that?

I know Yates is mopping up in garbage time but you guys know as well as I do #8 will be trotting out under center next week.

The rest of this season is looking grim, very grim.

At this point, Yates has to be the guy. Schaub has lost the job. I don't think Yates is the long term answer. But until we start throwing it down field (even if we can't complete it) then we have no shot of beating anyone in the underneath routes.

fiasco west 10-06-2013 10:57 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Pretty easy if you're a CB. Schaub is throwing to Andre...

hradhak 10-06-2013 10:59 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco west (Post 2223948)
Pretty easy if you're a CB. Schaub is throwing to Andre...

What bothers me is that I don't think anyone else on our offense is actually getting open. I really think our team is going to have problems no matter who is at the QB position, but I think our biggest problem is that our scheme is no longer functional.

76Texan 10-06-2013 11:12 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
IMHO, and I just reviewed all of the INTs one more time, just to refresh myself; it has nothing to do with the system or the play call.

All of them, except one, was due to Schaub's inability to make the correct read or his inability to make the correct throw.

And the one INT that I exempt Schaub from is the one to Hopkins (where a lot of people thought it was on Schaub).

Let's not forget that Schaub has made some deep throws that could easily be intercepted.

Schaub is just playing terrible since late last year, and I don't see no end to it.

leebigeztx 10-06-2013 11:13 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hradhak (Post 2223957)
What bothers me is that I don't think anyone else on our offense is actually getting open. I really think our team is going to have problems no matter who is at the QB position, but I think our biggest problem is that our scheme is no longer functional.

Think players,not plays.

leebigeztx 10-06-2013 11:15 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2223998)
IMHO, and I just reviewed all of the INTs one more time, just to refresh myself; it has nothing to do with the system or the play call.

All of them, except one, was due to Schaub's inability to make the correct read or his inability to make the correct throw.

And the one INT that I exempt Schaub from is the one to Hopkins (where a lot of people thought it was on Schaub).

Let's not forget that Schaub has made some deep throws that could easily be intercepted.

Schaub is just playing terrible since late last year, and I don't see no end to it.

If schaub had read that pick 6 throwing towards hopkins right,that would've been a big play. Instead,matt wanted to throw short while hopkins was reading the db opening up.

hradhak 10-06-2013 11:16 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2223998)
IMHO, and I just reviewed all of the INTs one more time, just to refresh myself; it has nothing to do with the system or the play call.

All of them, except one, was due to Schaub's inability to make the correct read or his inability to make the correct throw.

And the one INT that I exempt Schaub from is the one to Hopkins (where a lot of people thought it was on Schaub).

Let's not forget that Schaub has made some deep throws that could easily be intercepted.

Schaub is just playing terrible since late last year, and I don't see no end to it.

I would like to see the All 22 film. My guess is that our receivers are not as good as we thought they were. I don't think our receivers are getting open and Schaub is forcing throws in there.

That's not saying that Schaub is not the problem, but our receivers are not helping either.

76Texan 10-06-2013 11:21 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hradhak (Post 2224006)
I would like to see the All 22 film. My guess is that our receivers are not as good as we thought they were. I don't think our receivers are getting open and Schaub is forcing throws in there.

That's not saying that Schaub is not the problem, but our receivers are not helping either.

Schaub is the problem this year.
The receivers saved a few INTs for him.

76Texan 10-06-2013 11:23 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hradhak (Post 2224006)
I would like to see the All 22 film. My guess is that our receivers are not as good as we thought they were. I don't think our receivers are getting open and Schaub is forcing throws in there.

That's not saying that Schaub is not the problem, but our receivers are not helping either.

There were instances when the receivers were open in the All 22 views, Schaub missed a few of them. But I didn't ragged on him. These INTs are just not acceptable.

fiasco west 10-06-2013 11:25 PM

Re: A Question on the WCO with the Texans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2223998)
IMHO, and I just reviewed all of the INTs one more time, just to refresh myself; it has nothing to do with the system or the play call.

All of them, except one, was due to Schaub's inability to make the correct read or his inability to make the correct throw.

And the one INT that I exempt Schaub from is the one to Hopkins (where a lot of people thought it was on Schaub).

Let's not forget that Schaub has made some deep throws that could easily be intercepted.

Schaub is just playing terrible since late last year, and I don't see no end to it.

Well, I've been as patient as I could been. You usually are patient with these kind of things but I honestly think this team could do better with Yates as long as he's managing the game.

These INTs are just destroying this season.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger