Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tajh Boyd (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102304)

TexansSeminole 10-05-2013 05:54 AM

Tajh Boyd

Tajh Boyd from Clemson had an excellent year last year and has been great thus far this year. This is his 3rd year starting at Clemson. Through four games (more like 3.5) he is completing 64% of his passes with 8.7 YPA. He has 994 passing yards, 159 rushing yards, 9 TD passes and 4 rushing TDs with 0 interceptions.

Link to his college stats thus far.

Opinions seemed to be mixed on him on this boards, but I think most people like him. Personally, I think he fits the Texans well. He can extend plays with his feet, he shows up in big games, he's tough, and he is a winner. He is inaccurate at times, but nothing that can't be corrected.

What are your thoughts on his projection to the NFL, specifically the Texans?

beerlover 10-05-2013 09:36 AM

Re: Tajh Boyd

One thing for sure, Boyd would get the ball to DeAndre more. He is my #1 Senior QB. Strong, durable, can extend plays, performs better under pressure which is a reflection a top level competitor. So I would feel comfortable he could handle this city's expectations of what a QB should be, plug & play as new leader of a more dynamic Texan offense, especially in the red zone.

Corrosion 10-05-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 2222210)
One thing for sure, Boyd would get the ball to DeAndre more. He is my #1 Senior QB. Strong, durable, can extend plays, performs better under pressure which is a reflection a top level competitor. So I would feel comfortable he could handle this city's expectations of what a QB should be, plug & play as new leader of a more dynamic Texan offense, especially in the red zone.

I like him a lot too .... easily the top SR QB in this class but I don't think the Texans pick will come up before his named is called unless they continue to underperform.

It would likely require a significant jump in draft position to get him as I think he goes (at this point) in the top 10 selections.

beerlover 10-06-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2222259)
I like him a lot too .... easily the top SR QB in this class but I don't think the Texans pick will come up before his named is called unless they continue to underperform.

It would likely require a significant jump in draft position to get him as I think he goes (at this point) in the top 10 selections.

Given another national embarrassment, seems there's only one thing to look forward to, the draft. Here is a good article from yesterday game -
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...ck-vs-syracuse

aussie_texan 10-06-2013 10:05 PM

at least schuab has done one thing right. he sucked in a year when there is a lot of good talent at QB.

thanks matt

badboy 10-06-2013 11:16 PM

Thanks BL I enjoyed the read.

Wolf6151 10-07-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussie_texan (Post 2223745)
at least schuab has done one thing right. he sucked in a year when there is a lot of good talent at QB.

thanks matt

That's the way to look on the bright side,:bravo: and our draft position is getting better and better each week as well.

Playoffs 10-26-2013 12:44 PM

Walter Football seems to think Boyd is 5'11, fwiw.

Texian 10-26-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2238143)
Walter Football seems to think Boyd is 5'11, fwiw.

NFL Draft Scout has him at a measured height of 6005. (same as Brees)

Playoffs 10-26-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texian (Post 2238149)
NFL Draft Scout has him at a measured height of 6005. (same as Brees)

Actual height will be measured pre-draft. Doesn't amount to much, but some put a lot of stock in QB height/size.

leebigeztx 10-26-2013 02:31 PM

I like Boyd. He does have some fotwork issues that throw his accuracy off at times. He reminds me a lot of mcnabb and cutler. Compact,powerful guys with good feet. At times their mechanics will cause them to throw groundballs,but then they will make a lot of throws only a select few can make. He can go anywhere from 3 to 15.

badboy 10-26-2013 07:24 PM

he really needed this game to improve his accuracy percentage.

Texian 10-26-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2238273)
he really needed this game to improve his accuracy percentage.

Actually his percentage dropped below 70% after the Florida State game.

badboy 10-26-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texian (Post 2238280)
Actually his percentage dropped below 70% after the Florida State game.

You are incorrect as he was only above 70% for two games (Wake Forrest 70.8 & Syracuse 74.1) & then dropped against Boston College to 68.2 and followed that with the terrible 45.9 at Florida St. My comment stands.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/480221/

thunderkyss 10-26-2013 11:14 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF1v91Kb71s&noredirect=1

I believe that's all of Boyd's throws against Georgia 2013. I wasn't impressed. Everything out of the pistol, appears to be a one read, check down, run guy. Accuracy... not feeling it.

His arm doesn't look good enough to me. He floats anything over 10 yards (may be a little hyperbole here), but he does have good zip on the shorter throws. If I had to guess, he would struggle if he had to start his first year.

I like his size, he's thick, he's athletic.... may not be very tall, can't tell.

Now after that video ended, there was this highlight video of Marcus Mariota
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQcqop2R-w&noredirect=1

Still can't tell how tall he is, & he looks lanky.... Joe Flacco-ish, Matt Ryany...... But I like his arm. That's a big time arm. More athletic than Boyd & appears to be going through progressions. Even buying time looking for something downfield, before he decides to make a run for it.

I'm not a scout. I don't watch a lot of these kids. & I know it isn't fair to judge Boyd on one video (but it wasn't a highlight video, it was an every snap of this game video) But if I were to choose I'd go with Mariota.

Ok...... here's a highlight video of Boyd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdldOjwn6i0&noredirect=1

His arm looks much better, his accuracy looks much better (but it is a highlight video). Still not impressed with him going through progressions. Looks like he's got his mind made up & he's waiting for his guy to open up.

mussop 10-27-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2238303)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF1v91Kb71s&noredirect=1

I believe that's all of Boyd's throws against Georgia 2013. I wasn't impressed. Everything out of the pistol, appears to be a one read, check down, run guy. Accuracy... not feeling it.

His arm doesn't look good enough to me. He floats anything over 10 yards (may be a little hyperbole here), but he does have good zip on the shorter throws. If I had to guess, he would struggle if he had to start his first year.

I like his size, he's thick, he's athletic.... may not be very tall, can't tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQcqop2R-w&noredirect=1

Still can't tell how tall he is, & he looks lanky.... Joe Flacco-ish, Matt Ryany...... But I like his arm. That's a big time arm. More athletic than Boyd & appears to be going through progressions. Even buying time looking for something downfield, before he decides to make a run for it.

I'm not a scout. I don't watch a lot of these kids. & I know it isn't fair to judge Boyd on one video (but it wasn't a highlight video, it was an every snap of this game video) But if I were to choose I'd go with Mariota.

Ok...... here's a highlight video of Boyd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdldOjwn6i0&noredirect=1

His arm looks much better, his accuracy looks much better (but it is a highlight video). Still not impressed with him going through progressions. Looks like he's got his mind made up & he's waiting for his guy to open up.

I agree with this post.

Playoffs 10-27-2013 01:38 PM

I liked his skill set, but his (lack of) performance against Florida State really put me off Boyd. I'm not interested in a QB who totally loses his composure like that... don't want a guy who folds.

nero THE zero 10-29-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2238432)
I liked his skill set, but his (lack of) performance against Florida State really put me off Boyd. I'm not interested in a QB who totally loses his composure like that... don't want a guy who folds.

What's interesting is that his reputation, prior to that game, was that he was a guy who stepped up in big games.

I'm not sure that the FSU game wasn't an aberration. I still don't know that I would want to draft him, though.

I, personally, would sell the farm for Mariota.

Texian 10-29-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2238432)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nero THE zero (Post 2239388)
What's interesting is that his reputation, prior to that game, was that he was a guy who stepped up in big games.

I'm not sure that the FSU game wasn't an aberration. I still don't know that I would want to draft him, though.

Boyd's problem in the FSU game is his OL was giving him less than 3 secs to get rid of the ball. I don't think there is a college QB today who would have performed any better. I don't think there is another college QB playing today with as many GW drives as Boyd.

Corrosion 10-31-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2238303)

Mariota's completion percentage is under 60% which is ~10% lower than the other QB's expected to go in the top 2-3 rounds. That includes Bridgewater , Manziel , Carr , Hundley , McCarron and Murray.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nero THE zero (Post 2239388)

I thought the same thing about that FSU game .... Boyd has come up big several times in pressure situations over the past couple seasons.
I really liked him and had him as the top rated Sr QB but the past few weeks have me questioning his position again.

Not sold on Mariota ....