Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Ben Tate poll (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102297)

thunderkyss 10-04-2013 02:34 PM

Ben Tate poll
 
Do you think Ben Tate's YPC would remain high if he got more carries?

Even in the last game, Arian broke off some good runs, but when we got into the third & 4th qtr, the Seahawks were shortening a lot of those runs. There's a lot more traffic around the LoS, more penetration given up by the OL.

Personally I'd like to see Tate get the bulk of the carries anyway because I'd like to preserve Arian a little bit & if we're going to be losing Tate anyway, might as well load him up with the extra wear, tear, & mileage.

But that's me.

Nitrofish 10-04-2013 02:59 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2221908)
Do you think Ben Tate's YPC would remain high if he got more carries?

Even in the last game, Arian broke off some good runs, but when we got into the third & 4th qtr, the Seahawks were shortening a lot of those runs. There's a lot more traffic around the LoS, more penetration given up by the OL.

Personally I'd like to see Tate get the bulk of the carries anyway because I'd like to preserve Arian a little bit & if we're going to be losing Tate anyway, might as well load him up with the extra wear, tear, & mileage.

But that's me.

IMO all you will see with more carries is either injury, more fumbles, or both. I say trade Tate this season and get something for him while his value is high.

Rey 10-04-2013 03:06 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
Tate is leading the nfl in yards after contact per carry.

I think Tate is a better runner than Arian at this point in their careers. I think Arian is better in pass pro and catches the ball better.

But I think Tate is a better runner when he's not fumbling.

I would give him more carries because I think it would help our running game be more productive.

ObsiWan 10-04-2013 04:43 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2221934)
Tate is leading the nfl in yards after contact per carry.

I think Tate is a better runner than Arian at this point in their careers. I think Arian is better in pass pro and catches the ball better.

But I think Tate is a better runner when he's not fumbling.

I would give him more carries because I think it would help our running game be more productive.

Tate definitely has "less mileage".
I sure wish there was a way we could keep them both.

And I'd really like to see what Cierre Wood has to offer against 1st string defenses.

EllisUnit 10-04-2013 06:33 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
no i dont think so, he is always so fresh when he comes in. IMO tate is a good RB but will never be the kind of guy like foster who can carry a team on his back.

thunderkyss 10-04-2013 06:40 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2222031)
no i dont think so, he is always so fresh when he comes in. IMO tate is a good RB but will never be the kind of guy like foster who can carry a team on his back.

If Foster didn't work out, I believe Tate would be an even bigger star than Arian. He's going to go to another team, & he & Arian will continue their "friendly" competition.

b0ng 10-04-2013 06:44 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
More volume means a drop in YPC.

drs23 10-04-2013 06:50 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
Heck no, do the math. Ain't gonna happen. Ben needs to keep on doing what he's doing for his next team.

He should retire comfortably.

DocBar 10-04-2013 07:00 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
Of course his YPC would drop, but I'd like to see a better split between Foster and Tate.

I wouldn't even mind seeing their roles reversed to see how Tate does with enough carries to get in a groove.

Corrosion 10-04-2013 07:03 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
Depends on how often he breaks off a 60 yarder to pad his YPC. Those big runs really skew that stat.

Goatcheese 10-04-2013 07:21 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
I think it will remain high, but not as high as it is right now. He's a pretty steady 5 YPC kind of back.

thunderkyss 10-04-2013 07:27 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2222047)
Depends on how often he breaks off a 60 yarder to pad his YPC. Those big runs really skew that stat.

Except we like it when our guys rip off those big runs.

thetexanator 10-04-2013 09:02 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
wish we could see it. but he probably wont get out of kubes doghouse until week 14.

Rey 10-05-2013 05:51 AM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
I don't understand not giving Tate more carries. Might as well. If we are going to let him go at the end of the year anyways we might as well save Arian a bit more and grind Tate...

Unless they would entertain trading Arian for a good deal...maybe a nice pick or to move up in the first round.

And keep Tate and wood.


But something I thought about in regards to the thread: does it really matter if his ypc dropped?

Fact is, Tate is not that far behind Arian yardage wise. And he has significantly fewer carries. Yeah his ypc might drop, but he would likely still be the more productive runner on a per carry basis. Unless he started going backwards

thunderkyss 10-05-2013 07:02 AM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2222186)
But something I thought about in regards to the thread: does it really matter if his ypc dropped?

Fact is, Tate is not that far behind Arian yardage wise. And he has significantly fewer carries. Yeah his ypc might drop, but he would likely still be the more productive runner on a per carry basis. Unless he started going backwards

I was thinking a big part of the reason for Arian's low ypc, this year & last was getting those carries late in the game when we're trying to run out the clock. I was thinking if Tate were in there, he'd get more of those 2 yard carries, a few carries for a loss, etc...

Or I wondered if people still expect to see him break those 7+ yard runs at the end of games.

I do believe his numbers are better than Arian's, partly because he's a more direct runner. He's got true speed & real burst.... but he's also not getting a bunch of 3rd & 1s or goal line carries either.

So, if you're looking to trade Ben (which I don't think is going to happen) do you want to give him more carries, putting him in more of those "get stuffed" situations?

HJam72 10-05-2013 11:50 AM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
I think his numbers would go down, but I'd like to see him get more carries--somewhere between 1/3rd of them and almost 1/2. People sometimes say that Foster gets into his groove after a lot of carries, but I think that's more the D against him wearing down. Tate could even help with that some because he is a bruiser.

Rey 10-05-2013 01:23 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2222189)
I was thinking a big part of the reason for Arian's low ypc, this year & last was getting those carries late in the game when we're trying to run out the clock. I was thinking if Tate were in there, he'd get more of those 2 yard carries, a few carries for a loss, etc...

Or I wondered if people still expect to see him break those 7+ yard runs at the end of games.

I do believe his numbers are better than Arian's, partly because he's a more direct runner. He's got true speed & real burst.... but he's also not getting a bunch of 3rd & 1s or goal line carries either.

So, if you're looking to trade Ben (which I don't think is going to happen) do you want to give him more carries, putting him in more of those "get stuffed" situations?

His ypc might go down, but his total numbers would go up.

Arians ypc have declined each season, but he's still thought of as a good back. I think with backs the gaudy ypc numbers on not as many carries aren't as impressive as a reliable guy with a lot of carries that's able to consistently churn out yards.

I think if the texans wanted to inflate Tate's trade value, they'd want to show that he can get the tough yards, be a good RZ runner, stay healthy with more carries....i.e the things you want from a franchise back.

But I think they are more concerned with winning games and they believe giving Arian a lot more carries is the best way to do that.

cstyle42 10-05-2013 02:37 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
Once he leaves the Texans he will do great like most do. Let him play in a system and culture that just cares about winning and nothing else.

Corrosion 10-05-2013 04:21 PM

Re: Ben Tate poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cstyle42 (Post 2222267)
Once he leaves the Texans he will do great like most do. Let him play in a system and culture that just cares about winning and nothing else.

Meh , back to back division championships and playoff wins in the past two seasons .... that's not winning unless you realize that only one of 32 franchises wins a Lombardi Trophy each year.


Tate is playing well here .... He's just stuck behind a guy who is top three at his position in the NFL in Arian Foster.

Tate will play well elsewhere , pending he can stay healthy (which is questionable).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger