Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Is the Super Bowl window closing? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102242)

handswarmer 10-01-2013 08:34 AM

Is the Super Bowl window closing?

Andre Johnson 32
Owen Daniels 30
Matt Schaub 32
Daniel Manning 31
Ed Reed 35

And Arian Foster is closing in on 27 with multiple injuries over the years.

IlliniJen 10-01-2013 08:45 AM

Re: Is the Super Bowl window closing?

Is the SB window ever truly open for a paper tiger?

Trail.Blazr 10-01-2013 08:46 AM

It appears you just answered the question.
:dangit:

Thorn 10-01-2013 08:48 AM

If Kubiak is retained as the head coach after this season, the super bowl window will probably stay closed. It'll take some alternate universe scenario for the Texans to win a super bowl as long as Kubiak remains.

Playoffs 10-01-2013 08:51 AM

No, we haven't lost to the Bills yet.

eriadoc 10-01-2013 08:54 AM

I voted yes, but I don't think it's closing; I think it closed back in 2011 when Schaub got injured. After the loss to BAL in the playoffs, everyone said the Texans were a healthy Schaub away from going all the way, and it sure felt like they had a real shot. Well, the 2012 Texans and now the 2013 Texans have a healthy Schaub (as healthy as he'll get). No chance. This team is not going to the Super Bowl, and may not win the division.

HOU-TEX 10-01-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handswarmer (Post 2219987)
Andre Johnson 32
Owen Daniels 30
Matt Schaub 32
Daniel Manning 31
Ed Reed 35

Foster's injuries have been muscle pulls. Nothing structural. He's fine. We just can't run him 400 times every year like season. Reed hasn't done anything for us to make me worry about him. Love OD, but we've got replacements. Manning has been a JAG for me. I (and the team) will miss AJ. I'll miss Schaub like I'd miss a severe case of crabs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2220000)
No, we haven't lost to the Bills yet.

Careful! We have to play the Jags twice.

Exascor 10-01-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Andre Johnson 32
Owen Daniels 30
Matt Schaub 32
Daniel Manning 31
Ed Reed 35

Of the players listed, only Andre Johnson is going to be tough to replace. Manning is a good but not great safety & Reed hasn't contributed at all. Daniels is good but I don't think we'd miss him too much. That leaves Schaub. In his best years he's been a top 10-12 qb. The last 10 games or so - not even a top 20.

The window closes when a few of your best players will be lost. Watt, Cushing, D Brown, Foster, Mercilus (and possibly Hopkins & Swearinger) are the young core of the team. Add an elite qb and this team will be in the hunt every year.

BullNation4Life 10-01-2013 09:41 AM

closing? With Matt Schaub at the QB position and Gary Kubiak calling the plays, can we truly say the window was ever really open to begin with?

Different coach and QB, the window is wide the hell open, but with THIS duo, it got cracked a little bit but just enough to get Texan fans hopes up...

TheIronDuke 10-01-2013 09:42 AM

Why do we still have Ravens fans trolling here?

rmartin65 10-01-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2220023)

I would not call this trolling- it is a legitimate question.

As for the OP- yes and no. I think the near term (1-3 years) opportunity is closing, if not already closed. However, we have some young talent (Watt, Hopkins) who, with some good drafting, could have a another window open up.

Texan_Bill 10-01-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Long recognized as one of the most intelligent birds, the raven also has a less than savory image throughout history as a scavenger that does not discriminate between humans and animals.
PBS

;)

YeaLikeRightNow 10-01-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmartin65 (Post 2220026)
I would not call this trolling- it is a legitimate question.

As for the OP- yes and no. I think the near term (1-3 years) opportunity is closing, if not already closed. However, we have some young talent (Watt, Hopkins) who, with some good drafting, could have a another window open up.

Should of happened last year, but our immediate window I believe has closed. Two to three years down the road, I can see it opening again. With a new coach and a healthy, promising quarterback, we can get there.

Thorn 10-01-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

handswarmer has shown himself to be a good citizen, not a troll. Besides the question is a good one.

thunderkyss 10-01-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Andre Johnson 32
Owen Daniels 30
Matt Schaub 32
Daniel Manning 31
Ed Reed 35

I don't think it's so much the age of our core players, but the fact that we've been good enough to win the Super Bowl for the last three years. You can only reasonably believe you're that good for so long. You can only reasonably expect an organization to believe it for a shorter period of time.

I'm sure a big factor in the Ravens' belief was that they "knew" it was now or never; their last real shot.

I'm afraid we're going to start seeing & hearing the company line than actual belief that we can get it done.

TheIronDuke 10-01-2013 10:11 AM

This isn't a trolling question if asked by a Texans fan but it is if asked by an opposing team's fan who has no reason to be here.

Anyways:

Andre Johnson 32- Still has gas in the tank and a competent #2 who is already showing promise that he can be a #1

Owen Daniels 30- Never worried about TE with the Texans, Graham is his replacement and can do all OD does.

Matt Schaub 32- Can't win a Super Bowl with him anyway so we will need to get a new QB regardless.

Daniel Manning 31- Swearinger will be his replacement.

Ed Reed 35- Was a one-year rental who will retire after this year, don't think the Texans really thought he is our FS of the future obviously.

Foster- 27- See TE, we can get RB's anywhere, Cierre Wood is going to be a beast.

Joseph- 30 I think- you didn't include but this is the most concern because we aren't so great at finding CB's.

Every team has players who get older, the key as any Ravens fan should know is drafting. Which the Texans are pretty damn good at. Not as good as the Ravens but I do trust the FO to draft for the most part except mid round CB's.

thunderkyss 10-01-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2220003)
Well, the 2012 Texans and now the 2013 Texans have a healthy Schaub (as healthy as he'll get). No chance. This team is not going to the Super Bowl, and may not win the division.

Schaub is healthier now than he was in 2011.

thunderkyss 10-01-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 2220030)
handswarmer has shown himself to be a good citizen, not a troll. Besides the question is a good one.

Say that Flacco parts his hair wrong & let the troll out.

But overall, yeah. Not a bad guy.

eriadoc 10-01-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2220046)

He performed better in the last quarter of the 2011 season.

infantrycak 10-01-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2220046)

Wild accusation. There is absolutely no basis for saying Schaub is healthier now than he was pre-injury 2011.