Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Montgomery Converted to DE (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102135)

CloakNNNdagger 09-24-2013 09:04 PM

Montgomery Converted to DE

Quote:

Houston (CBS Houston) - Sam Montgomery hasn’t played in any of the Texans first three games. His transition from college defensive end to NFL outside linebacker hasn’t gone well. After his early troubles, the third round pick will switch back to defensive end. The reason behind the change appears to be size related.

“He’s a big boy, man, and I don’t think that he tries to gain weight but he’s just big. He’s naturally big. He’s not fat, he’s got all muscle but a weight thing kept being the issue,” Antonio Smith said while on Texans Radio on Sports Radio 610.

Montgomery did have conditioning issues at the beginning of training camp and never found a rhythm as the preseason progressed. According to Antonio Smith, the transition back to defensive end is going well.

“He just didn’t look comfortable in a standup position and now that coach Kollar (The Texans defensive line coach) has been working with him in his stance, he’s playing a lot better.” Antonio Smith said.

The position change will come with a new number. According to Drew Dougherty of the Texans, Montgomery will now wear number 95.
link

As a sophomore in college, Montgomery was explosive. But then he put on some weight later in his college career which was much needed for him to stick at 4-3 DE in the NFL. But the weight gain didn't do him any favors on the football field, as per many of his draft profiles, he played stiff and exhibited far less explosion during his third year at LSU. That problem has followed him into his time with the Texans. He will still be a slow 3-4 DE, as he remains a mismatched 4-3 player looking for a position that doesn't exist here.

Brisco_County 09-24-2013 09:09 PM

Re: Montgomery Converted to DE

I had thought this was the intention from the beginning.

gwallaia 09-24-2013 09:22 PM

He looked terrible in pre season, the guy could not shed blockers worth a damn.

Playoffs 09-24-2013 09:28 PM

Good.

From August...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2199875)
He has no skills. He has no craft. Looks more like a D-lineman to me. Sam has a lot to learn.

wolf123 09-24-2013 09:29 PM

This move is way better then him at OLB.

Tailgate 09-25-2013 12:46 AM

Yea, my initial thought when drafted was hopefully a future Antonio Smith replacement. Good to hear, hope he gets things going.

kiwitexansfan 09-25-2013 01:01 AM

At least they are being proactive.

Texn4life 09-25-2013 01:17 AM

Even with his hand in the ground he still comes off slow off the ball. A position change won't help that. Unless he gains some explosiveness I haven't seen I'm afraid its a wasted pick.

Wolf6151 09-25-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texn4life (Post 2215938)
Even with his hand in the ground he still comes off slow off the ball. A position change won't help that. Unless he gains some explosiveness I haven't seen I'm afraid its a wasted pick.

My sentiments exactly. Montgomery is slow off the ball, at OLB or DE makes no difference. JMO but Montgomery was a mistake pick. I'd love to see us trade him to a team that runs a 4-3 defense, lets just cut our losses now instead of trying to make him into something he's not. We've already got Jamison and Crick at DE depth. Montgomery is too slow and heavy for OLB and to slow and small for 3-4 DE.

Corrosion 09-25-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailgate (Post 2215935)
Yea, my initial thought when drafted was hopefully a future Antonio Smith replacement. Good to hear, hope he gets things going.

Sam Montgomery cant hold the Ninja Assassin's jockstrap .... :texanbill:

digitalswim 09-25-2013 06:29 AM

I just don't know how the Texans can feel good about reaching for so many projects in the last few drafts. I especially hated this years draft after the first round. It seems like they were either reaching, gambling or ignoring the skill sets of the guys they were drafting.

thunderkyss 09-25-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2215943)
My sentiments exactly. Montgomery is slow off the ball, at OLB or DE makes no difference. JMO but Montgomery was a mistake pick. I'd love to see us trade him to a team that runs a 4-3 defense, lets just cut our losses now instead of trying to make him into something he's not. We've already got Jamison and Crick at DE depth. Montgomery is too slow and heavy for OLB and to slow and small for 3-4 DE.

I haven't seen much of Jamison since the season started & what little I did see, I didn't like. Looked like a spare tire thing going on... not good for a DE.

silvrhand 09-25-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalswim (Post 2215951)
I just don't know how the Texans can feel good about reaching for so many projects in the last few drafts. I especially hated this years draft after the first round. It seems like they were either reaching, gambling or ignoring the skill sets of the guys they were drafting.

I don't know if you can say that yet, Montgomery was the only one that I was really meh about. I would say anything after the third round you aren't expecting to start their rookie year. So of the players we got through the third round.

- deandre making an impact already
- swearinger already on the field and starting to make a few impact plays.
- OT got hurt, not sure if he'll pan out yet but it happens.
- Montgomery is the only one we should have stayed away from but they were trying to address the OLB position. There was a pretty good run on the LB in the middle of the second round. After that there really wasn't anyone else to take.

Wolf6151 09-25-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2215954)
I haven't seen much of Jamison since the season started & what little I did see, I didn't like. Looked like a spare tire thing going on... not good for a DE.

I remember Jamison from 2 yrs. ago and he played great, but that achilles injury might have slowed him down a bit.

Rey 09-25-2013 07:41 AM

So the texans took two OLB's in the draft and really didn't take any as far as this year is concerned.

Sounds like a desperation move to me. Sounds like Sam has struggled terribly so they are trying to salvage something....anything.

Meanwhile, you had guys that were actual DLinemen that actually showed something and we let them go. Texans too slow to get rid of guys. The lack of aggression permeates through this team.

Meanwhile you have a worthless player on the roster that wasted camp screwing around with a position he's not going to play anymore.

Tailgate 09-25-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2215945)
Sam Montgomery cant hold the Ninja Assassin's jockstrap .... :texanbill:

Oh, there is definitely reason I gave him a D grade when we drafted him. But we wont know for sure yet.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/pol...ts&pollid=1381

Corrosion 09-25-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailgate (Post 2215971)
Oh, there is definitely reason I gave him a D grade when we drafted him. But we wont know for sure yet.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/pol...ts&pollid=1381

I gave him a C .... Probably more deserving of an F.

Looks like you made a good call there ... so far.

HOU-TEX 09-25-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texn4life (Post 2215938)

Agree with this. Dude's the slowest off the ball I've seen in quite some time.

badboy 09-25-2013 09:40 AM

IF Reed and Merci continue to improve, it may not be as critical. We just do not have time imo for a project Dlineman or OLB. I too would wish for a trade to a 4-3 team.

eriadoc 09-25-2013 11:11 AM

Didn't like him when he was drafted, don't like him now. He's going to bust here. He already has Chapter 1 of the Bust story written, in fact.