Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Remember 2010 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102129)

djohn2oo8 09-24-2013 09:01 AM

Remember 2010

When the defense was terrible? The offense had no choice but to be aggressive, but ever since Wade showed up, it's been a total over reliance on D, playcalling on Offense stopped being so aggressive. The point where the "let's settle for field goals, because our D will stop em" really kicked in.

buddyboy 09-24-2013 10:30 AM

Re: Remember 2010

Quote:

Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 (Post 2215574)
When the defense was terrible? The offense had no choice but to be aggressive, but ever since Wade showed up, it's been a total over reliance on D, playcalling on Offense stopped being so aggressive. The point where the "let's settle for field goals, because our D will stop em" really kicked in.

It was the same thing. A whole unit was horrible and looked bad and yet, it was one player's fault: Kareem Jackson.

Today, the offense scores 9 pts, and it's one person's fault: Matt Schaub.

It's easier to convince yourself it's one player's fault than acknowledge that the team has multiple weaknesses that combine into a really bad performance.

cstyle42 09-24-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyboy (Post 2215616)
It was the same thing. A whole unit was horrible and looked bad and yet, it was one player's fault: Kareem Jackson.

It's easier to convince yourself it's one player's fault than acknowledge that the team has multiple weaknesses that combine into a really bad performance.

One big difference Kareem Jackson is a cornerback and Schaub is the qb. Quarterbacks lead you to the super bowls it's not a cornerbacks league it's a quarterbacks league and the Texans need to act on that fact.

buddyboy 09-24-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstyle42 (Post 2215622)
One big difference Kareem Jackson is a cornerback and Schaub is the qb. Quarterbacks lead you to the super bowls it's not a cornerbacks league it's a quarterbacks league and the Texans need to act on that fact.

No one thought Flacco was that guy until the tail end of last year. Easy to rag on a guy for not taking you to the Superbowl when he's only been in the playoffs one season. Not making playoffs the previous seasons is as much a team issue as it is a QB issue.

Hervoyel 09-24-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyboy (Post 2215616)

Everyone knows the team has multiple weaknesses. It's not easier to blame one guy. The problem is some of those weaknesses (Like "that one guy") have been visible and pointed out for years. When the OL was good (briefly) he still did that ****. When it got worse he became even more of a liability.

There are lots of problems. There wouldn't be as many though if the Texans had cleaned a few of them up along the way over the years.

buddyboy 09-24-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hervoyel (Post 2215628)
Everyone knows the team has multiple weaknesses. It's not easier to blame one guy. The problem is some of those weaknesses (Like "that one guy") have been visible and pointed out for years. When the OL was good (briefly) he still did that ****. When it got worse he became even more of a liability.

There are lots of problems. There wouldn't be as many though if the Texans had cleaned a few of them up along the way over the years.

It IS easier to blame that one guy. I agree we have a lot of the same problems we have had for years (maybe one of them IS schaub) that should have been fixed. But I feel like that frustration of all those problems has collected and is now being outpoured on a single source of the frustration.

Hervoyel 09-24-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyboy (Post 2215636)
It IS easier to blame that one guy. I agree we have a lot of the same problems we have had for years (maybe one of them IS schaub) that should have been fixed. But I feel like that frustration of all those problems has collected and is now being outpoured on a single source of the frustration.

Quite possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herman Mellville the Texans fan
He piled upon Schaub's slow moving white #8 jersey the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it.

Thorn 09-24-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

I'd rather not.

Tailgate 09-24-2013 04:55 PM

In 2010 and 2011 we had an Offensive line. For a team that had THE worst D in 2010, our sack rate was top 10 in the league. They knew the pass was coming and we still had time. The further removed from Alex Gibbs the worse our Oline gets.

Today, we are giving up sacks when we play action. A death knell for this system.

If our blocking does not improve, we are sunk. Its as simple as that.

Bulls on Parade 09-24-2013 07:17 PM

The defense was looking great with a 6-3 lead with about 4:50 or so until halftime. That Matt Schaub pick six and punt return for a Touchdown not long after really took the wind out of our sails. All of a sudden we're down 17-6 and our defense has to feel let down going into the locker room for halftime. Kind of hard for the defense to "get up" for the second half after that knowing that the offense wasn't going to do jack Touchdown wise. The best we could do in that game was settle for a field goal.

RagingBull 09-24-2013 07:22 PM

The only good thing about 2010 was that it netted us JJ Watt in the draft. If I remember, he was the Texans 3rd choice after Von Miller and Aldon Smith. Lucky for us, things happened the way they did. Maybe the QB situation will "work itself out also"?

eriadoc 09-24-2013 07:33 PM

I'll tell you what I remember about 2010. I remember thinking the team was playing poorly despite being 2-0 and then 4-2. I remember people drinking the koolaid and ignoring the harbingers of impending collapse. I remember the team winning 6 games.

Wish I didn't remember any of that.

thunderkyss 09-24-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2215843)
I'll tell you what I remember about 2010. I remember thinking the team was playing poorly despite being 2-0 and then 4-2. I remember people drinking the koolaid and ignoring the harbingers of impending collapse. I remember the team winning 6 games.

Wish I didn't remember any of that.

I remember the same thing in 2011 & 2012. Like there are some people who'll complain about Kubiak/Schaub's team regardless. I seem to remember winning 10 games in 2011 & twelve games in 2012.

Same people who'll scream the sky is falling at 2-1.

PHILLYTEXANFAN 09-24-2013 08:31 PM

If 2010 never happened, Watt is NOT a Texan. Always look on the bright side of life

Bulls on Parade 09-24-2013 08:34 PM

I still believe in Matt Schaub and want to see him win a Super Bowl with the Texans. If somehow he can just throw the deep balls with some pinpoint accuracy like he used to do in his younger days. This guy was a pretty good gunslinger when he first arrived in Houston. He was one of the better completion percentage passers in the league. Not just with the play-action passes, bootlegs and roll outs, but he could stand in the pocket and air it out with the best of them at one time.

SchaubApologist 09-24-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyboy (Post 2215627)
No one thought Flacco was that guy until the tail end of last year. Easy to rag on a guy for not taking you to the Superbowl when he's only been in the playoffs one season. Not making playoffs the previous seasons is as much a team issue as it is a QB issue.

That is not necessarily true.

Flacco had two good playoff efforts in '10 & '11 before winning the superbowl in '12.

It stinks that Schaub was at his beest when we have no defense whatsoever. He can redeem himself with wins against Seattle and San Fran.

SchaubApologist 09-24-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade (Post 2215858)
I still believe in Matt Schaub and want to see him win a Super Bowl with the Texans. If somehow he can just throw the deep balls with some pinpoint accuracy like he used to do in his younger days. This guy was a pretty good gunslinger when he first arrived in Houston. He was one of the better completion percentage passers in the league. Not just with the play-action passes, bootlegs and roll outs, but he could stand in the pocket and air it out with the best of them at one time.

For sure! We rarely run bootlegs and roll outs now, and it makes me think that his foot might be the reason why.

thunderkyss 09-24-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchaubApologist (Post 2215865)
For sure! We rarely run bootlegs and roll outs now, and it makes me think that his foot might be the reason why.

Part of the reason for scripting plays is to watch how defenses are playing us. One of the things we watch, is how hard the backside end is crashing down on the RB. If he's crashing hard near every time, or even 50/50 you'll see the boot. If they're playing honest, we'll probably not see it.

We've played Baltimore enough that they know us & we know them. I didn't watch it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were playing honest in the first half. Foster was gashing them up the middle & I don't recall any backside pursuit.

The second half, we got away from the run game, probably wasn't going to be many boots when they know we're throwing the ball.

buddyboy 09-24-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchaubApologist (Post 2215863)
That is not necessarily true.

Flacco had two good playoff efforts in '10 & '11 before winning the superbowl in '12.

It stinks that Schaub was at his beest when we have no defense whatsoever. He can redeem himself with wins against Seattle and San Fran.

Relevant link. Flacco claimed he was elite, caught a ton of backlash from the media and the country, then lost in an embarrassing game against (you guessed it) the Texans.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...te-quarterback

BlueSteel 09-24-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2215851)
Same people who'll scream the sky is falling at 2-1.

2-1 is not so bad if all three of the games did not look so bad. I had hoped we would be passed the blow out games this season. The loss is just plain frustrating.