Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Foster admits to taking money in college (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102066)

stingray 09-20-2013 02:08 PM

Foster admits to taking money in college

Interesting stuff
Quote:

"I don't know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation -- my senior year, I was getting money on the side," said Foster. "I really didn't have any money. I had to either pay the rent or buy some food. I remember the feeling of like, 'Man, be careful.' But there's nothing wrong with it. And you're not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2fSTJxZgW

badboy 09-20-2013 02:12 PM

Re: Foster admits to taking money in college

hmm I thought players got paid in education and also got free meals in cafeteria?

Playoffs 09-20-2013 02:16 PM

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Quote:

During an interview for a documentary (video on SI. com), Arian Foster admitted getting money on the side in college http://ow.ly/p3XSo

eriadoc 09-20-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2212867)
hmm I thought players got paid in education and also got free meals in cafeteria?

Try paying the rent with your philosophy class.

welsh texan 09-20-2013 02:24 PM

Don't college athletes also get free accommodation?

dc_txtech 09-20-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2212875)

They get free dorm rooms, and at least at Texas Tech they were better than everyone elses dorms and they didn't have to share with a roommate.

NCTexan 09-20-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welsh texan (Post 2212882)
Don't college athletes also get free accommodation?

Depends on your status I think. I'm not sure walk-ons get any sort of help, and if you only have a partial scholarship it won't cover everything.

eriadoc 09-20-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_txtech (Post 2212885)
They get free dorm rooms, and at least at Texas Tech they were better than everyone elses dorms and they didn't have to share with a roommate.

"I had to either pay the rent or buy some food." - Arian Foster

I was just going off what the guy said.

Stemp 09-20-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCTexan (Post 2212886)
Depends on your status I think. I'm not sure walk-ons get any sort of help, and if you only have a partial scholarship it won't cover everything.

Foster wasn't a walkon

Double Barrel 09-20-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

My son got a full ride scholarship at SFA. All rent, food, books, and education fully paid by the school.

He only worked in the off-season/spare time for spending money, not because he needed it.

Now, I have no idea of Arian's scholarship situation, but I think most are like my son's. (Like you said, just going off of Arian's statement.)

I tend to think that hundreds of thousands of dollars per student in FREE college education, housing, and food, should be enough to justify the commitment to a program, especially since I had to work my ass off for every penny to pay for college (which led me to dropping out as I had to eventually work full time to pay my bills).

BTW, my son never felt he was owed anything by the school and fully appreciated that he was "paid" with a good education/college degree for his football work.

cdollaz 09-20-2013 02:31 PM

So Arian is a rat.

dc_txtech 09-20-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCTexan (Post 2212886)

Again just what I observed at Texas Tech, full ride scholarhips had free rooms on campus, 3 meals a day in their own personal dining hall, free tuition, free tutors available, free shoes, clothes, backpacks, and other apparel. Not to mention nutritionists, doctors, conditioning coaches, etc.

dc_txtech 09-20-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2212888)
"I had to either pay the rent or buy some food." - Arian Foster

I was just going off what the guy said.

I hear ya. If true, he probably just didn't want to live in a dorm.

badboy 09-20-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Can't live in their free room. Tears. I am all for athletes receiving some pay but to say he was starving but could not walk to cafeteria is ridiculous. I wonder if his mom will weigh in here on this. TexMex's mom you out there?

eriadoc 09-20-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 2212892)
My son got a full ride scholarship at SFA. All rent, food, books, and education fully paid by the school.

He only worked in the off-season/spare time for spending money, not because he needed it.

Now, I have no idea of Arian's scholarship situation, but I think most are like my son's.

I tend to think that hundreds of thousands of dollars per student in FREE college education, housing, and food, should be enough to justify the commitment to a program, especially since I had to work my ass off for ever penny to pay for college (which led me to dropping out as I had to eventually work full time to pay my bills).

BTW, my son never felt he was owed anything by the school and fully appreciated that he was "paid" with a good education/college degree for his football work.

As I said above, I was just going off the guy's quote. I have no idea how his or any scholarship worked. Either way, I honestly don't have a problem with him or any athlete taking money. It's a position on which my stance has evolved, because college football is a business, plain and simple. In no other business are you told you're going to be paid with something that you may not want (in fact, this is the genesis of currency in civilization). You render a service and you get paid in money that can be converted to whatever other good or service you desire. Otherwise, you'd only do work for people who can pay you precisely the good you are looking for. This week, I'll go work for Farmer Brown so I can get some eggs!

The entire NCAA system is complete BS. Separate the football from education and pay the kids. Then they might be able to afford your overpriced education on their own. And that's another thing - hundreds of thousands of dollars for an education?!?! That too is BS.

I am going to go drink some chai tea and meditate now. ;)

Vance87 09-20-2013 02:38 PM

Couldn't Arian have just stayed on campus for free and eaten for free? I know some schools give a daily food allowance for athletes to eat on campus. Like 40 bucks or something.

badboy 09-20-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 2212893)
So Arian is a rat.

nah he's a free spirit that enjoys tacos.

LEATHERHEAD 09-20-2013 02:39 PM

Had to buy Diapers..and food for that baby..should have used a Raincoat

NCTexan 09-20-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stemp (Post 2212889)
Foster wasn't a walkon

I was speakingin general. But I'm not even sure that I'm right about walk-ons not getting housing. I don't know enough about it.

cdollaz 09-20-2013 02:49 PM

Many athletes piss away their money once they turn pro, so is it a good idea to be handing them cash at an even earlier age?