Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Oops, Personal Foul on FG was bad call (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101883)

ObsiWan 09-10-2013 07:37 PM

Oops, Personal Foul on FG was bad call

NFL exec: Ref erred with foul call in Texans-Chargers

Quote:

A rough opening week for NFL officials continues.

Dean Blandino, NFL vice president of officiating, said Tuesday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access," that the wrong call was made when Chargers defensive tackle Cam Thomas was penalized 10 yards for unnecessary roughness after making contact with Texans long snapper Jon Weeks.

The penalty took a field goal off the board and awarded the Texans a first down from the Chargers' 9-yard line. Houston scored a touchdown on the next play from scrimmage to cut San Diego's lead to 28-21. The Texans went on to win, 31-28.

"No, this was not a correct call. This is not the intent of the rule as it was written," Blandino explained. "The rule is to protect the snapper on a field goal or extra point from a direct forcible blow to the head or neck area, or with the crown/forehead/hairline parts of the helmet to the body. It was not designed to prohibit any contact with the snapper, which is what happened on this play."
The rest is here...
LINK

All I know is the retired ref Chris Berman brought on board said it was a judgement call and the official was within his rights to call it as he saw it.

So there.

Of course, if I was a Charger fan, I'd be livid right about now.

paycheck71 09-10-2013 07:44 PM

Re: Oops, Personal Foul on FG was bad call

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2207339)

The rest is here...
LINK

All I know is the retired ref Chris Berman brought on board said it was a judgement call and the official was within his rights to call it as he saw it.

So there.

Big deal. We drive down the field and score a TD to win at the end of the game instead of settling for a field goal. Same score. :kitten:

mattieuk 09-10-2013 07:45 PM

Meh - if we only got the field goal, we would have won the game with a TD rather than running the clock down for Bullock.

Edit: Doh...beaten to it by paycheck

Thorn 09-10-2013 07:49 PM

Bad calls are made every week in the NFL. We got one called for us this week. Next week it may go the other way. I wouldn't put a lot of significance on it. Most bad calls are not game changers except in the minds of fans.

gwallaia 09-10-2013 08:08 PM

The Chargers got away with a false start on a pass that got them near the end zone where they eventually scored. Tit for tat.

Vance87 09-10-2013 08:11 PM

Chargers got away with:

An illegal pick on a TD (flag was picked up after Rivers yelled at them)
Several holds and hands to the face of JJ Watt
Delay of game by 3 seconds
At least one false start
AJ's catch that was ruled out of bounds

I'd say it was even.

Corrosion 09-10-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vance87 (Post 2207365)
Chargers got away with:

An illegal pick on a TD (flag was picked up after Rivers yelled at them)
Several holds and hands to the face of JJ Watt
Delay of game by 3 seconds
At least one false start
AJ's catch that was ruled out of bounds

I'd say it was even.

I agree with everything accept the bolded.

AJ was clearly out of bounds - he left his feet to make the catch and his elbow was the first thing to come down .... in the white.

Playoffs 09-10-2013 08:16 PM

Thought so.

They can't be making game-changing mistakes like that. Just wrong.

Hervoyel 09-10-2013 08:17 PM

At the time the "bad call" was made there was I believe 14:52 left in the fourth quarter/game. That's relevant because for the remainder of that time San Diego did jack-**** on offense and precious little on defense. That is the mark of a team that isn't ready to overcome adversity. We know exactly what that looks like because we saw it for quite a few years (and still see it from time to time depending on the situation).

The Chargers are putting together something there. They have a lot of talent but they weren't able to put that bad call behind them and get on with finishing the Texans off. Every game there are bad calls and every team faces them. If your team can't put them out of their collective minds and maintain their focus then they lose. It's almost a constant in the NFL.

Texan_Bill 09-10-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2207339)

The rest is here...
LINK

So there.

Well dude needs to be fired!!!

Quote:

Dean Blandino, NFL vice president of officiating, said Tuesday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access," that the wrong call was made when Chargers defensive tackle Cam Thomas was penalized 10 yards for unnecessary roughness after making contact with Texans long snapper Jon Weeks.
"unnecessary roughness" is a personal foul........ A 15 yard penalty. And yes, the rules did change a year or so ago about hitting the long snapper.

EllisUnit 09-10-2013 08:22 PM

So now we are getting discredited for the win ? I hate the media

DX-TEX 09-10-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

"It's a judgment call by the umpire, he's looking at that, and in his judgment, he felt that it was enough for a foul," Blandino said. "And in our review today, we felt that it was not."
So its a judgment call unless it counters our judgment then we will question your judegment and proceed with judgment?

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ra-d5rtqpz.jpg

Playoffs 09-10-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2207376)
So now we are getting discredited for the win ? I hate the media

Media doesn't care about us. They're still chirping about Seahawks/Packers flub.

And it wasn't our bad. Refs blew the call, we just played it out. Winners win.

fiasco west 09-10-2013 08:40 PM

Coaches should be able to throw flags on penalties. That's what I think any ways.

With reviews coming within 2 minutes, after a change of possessions (so after all fumbles) and all TDs being reviewed, the red flag is usually kept in the pocket...

I think in fast motion it is easy to see how the Ref in live action could have saw more than what happened, in slo-motion it looks harmless. I'd love to see coaches be able to throw flags on penalties.

I know a lot of them are judgement calls any ways but some penalties are big penalties.

EllisUnit 09-10-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2207384)
Media doesn't care about us. They're still chirping about Seahawks/Packers flub.

And it wasn't our bad. Refs blew the call, we just played it out. Winners win.

Well when a call is if on an officials judgment then there is no right or wrong. If u watch the replays there was a lot of times JJ Watt got into the back field but the guard had his arms wrapped around JJ from behind, why werent those called, but the 2 little calls on jean were called ?

Fans of one team say no big deal until they get a call they think is un fair and vice versa. Oh well we won

b0ng 09-10-2013 08:55 PM

Anytime somebody in the media says its a judgement call, they are saying its a bad call. And it was a bad call.

DX-TEX 09-10-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Definition of JUDGMENT

a : a formal utterance of an authoritative opinion

b : an opinion so pronounced

a : a formal decision given by a court

b (1) : an obligation (as a debt) created by the decree of a court (2) : a certificate evidencing such a decree

a capitalized : the final judging of humankind by God

b : a divine sentence or decision; specifically : a calamity held to be sent by God

a : the process of forming an opinion or evaluation by discerning and comparing

b : an opinion or estimate so formed

a : the capacity for judging : discernment

b : the exercise of this capacity

: a proposition stating something believed or asserted
Opinion based. So it doesn't really matter what the article says the referee was right since he used his judgement. In his eyes it was a penalty

gwallaia 09-10-2013 09:49 PM

Its a mixed bag of responses to this call on the Chargers message board. Some are saying it directly cost them the game, others are saying the call can't be blamed for the Chargers melt-down. None of them however mention the obvious false start they got away with on that long pass play.

Tesuns 09-10-2013 09:52 PM

I really hope that all the Texans read it, not because they don't deserve the game, but they will play even harder knowing they might of been 0-1. This is not the same as the Packers/Seahawks game last year, so no robbery if Chargers missed out going to the dance by 1 game.

MEGA SWATT 09-10-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hervoyel (Post 2207370)
At the time the "bad call" was made there was I believe 14:52 left in the fourth quarter/game. That's relevant because for the remainder of that time San Diego did jack-**** on offense and precious little on defense. That is the mark of a team that isn't ready to overcome adversity. We know exactly what that looks like because we saw it for quite a few years (and still see it from time to time depending on the situation).

The Chargers are putting together something there. They have a lot of talent but they weren't able to put that bad call behind them and get on with finishing the Texans off. Every game there are bad calls and every team faces them. If your team can't put them out of their collective minds and maintain their focus then they lose. It's almost a constant in the NFL.

Yep:toropalm: