Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Foster-Tate vs LT-Turner (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101863)

leebigeztx 09-10-2013 02:57 AM

Foster-Tate vs LT-Turner

I've been going back and forth with a few guys on this. Last yr, I felt like foster was in self preservation mode a lot. I don't know if it was the new diet or what,but he was going down way too easy. Of course compounding my debate,tate was hurt last yr. Fast forward to this yr and foster is fighting injuries and tate is in a contract yr. Tonight is only 1 game,but Tate looks like the bull in a china shop while foster looks like a guy who didn't play in the preseason. This reminds me of the LT vs Turner situation a few yrs ago.

We heard how how the sd line wasn't as good as it was before. Yet, when turner would run, his ypc was a lot higher than that of lt. So sd put the high tender on turner even with the high salary declining LT. Turner was a little banged up,but still signed a good deal with Atl. He then rushed for 1600 yds and double digit tds while LT kinda faded in sd. He was later released,had a solid season for jets,then retired. I bring this up because we know how kubes-shanny thinks of rbs. Arian has a lot of touches in his body. He's been over 400 since becoming a full time starter. If tate stays healthy and run like he did tonight, I think the texans should high tender tate and if he plays well again,sign him and cut foster.

Texanmike02 09-10-2013 03:01 AM

Re: Foster-Tate vs LT-Turner

Quote:

Originally Posted by leebigeztx (Post 2206761)
I've been going back and forth with a few guys on this. Last yr, I felt like foster was in self preservation mode a lot. I don't know if it was the new diet or what,but he was going down way too easy. Of course compounding my debate,tate was hurt last yr. Fast forward to this yr and foster is fighting injuries and tate is in a contract yr. Tonight is only 1 game,but Tate looks like the bull in a china shop while foster looks like a guy who didn't play in the preseason. This reminds me of the LT vs Turner situation a few yrs ago.

We heard how how the sd line wasn't as good as it was before. Yet, when turner would run, his ypc was a lot higher than that of lt. So sd put the high tender on turner even with the high salary declining LT. Turner was a little banged up,but still signed a good deal with Atl. He then rushed for 1600 yds and double digit tds while LT kinda faded in sd. He was later released,had a solid season for jets,then retired. I bring this up because we know how kubes-shanny thinks of rbs. Arian has a lot of touches in his body. He's been over 400 since becoming a full time starter. If tate stays healthy and run like he did tonight, I think the texans should high tender tate and if he plays well again,sign him and cut foster.

I think you're a little ahead of yourself. This is ONE game. Foster didn't look great but this wasn't the Miami game. If at the end of the year Foster is sub 4.0 ypc then you might consider what you're talking about but Foster is 27, not 31.

Foster's successor is not on the roster right now. Tate is 25. You don't release a bell-cow runner for a guy 2 years his junior. You tender the younger guy an offer that nets you a 1st and you keep your horse and ride him 2 more years.

Mike

Mr.Scarface 09-10-2013 03:03 AM

Quote:

Knee-Jerk? LOL:vincepalm:

Tate is not a #1 back. Someone will over pay him next year.

Vinny 09-10-2013 03:05 AM

to me, Foster looks slow. He isn't running with the pop he had earlier in his career....I don't want to say he's spent, but he doesn't look like an elite back out there. Not trying to be knee-jerk or anything.

infantrycak 09-10-2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

We heard how how the sd line wasn't as good as it was before. Yet, when turner would run, his ypc was a lot higher than that of lt. So sd put the high tender on turner even with the high salary declining LT.

In 2007, Turner's last year in SD, LT had a higher ypc than Turner. In 2006 Turner did have a higher ypc than LT but LT was hardly in decline going 5.2 ypc for 1815 yds rushing - that was .1 ypc below the highest of his career and by far the most yds in a season.

Scooter 09-10-2013 03:14 AM

i think the scenario mostly fits, the only hitch is tate's injury history. however i dont think keeping tate over foster is a very viable option because of arian's contract. i dont know the money side of things, but i think we'll be riding foster for at least the next couple of seasons because it'd cost too much to do otherwise. that also means we'd be put in a similar situation - trying to get the most for tate before he leaves. in my opinion tate is very much a #1 back, and would actually be better on a more power/lead type offense. if not for injuries, i'd definitely trade a 1st to get a bellcow back like tate ... as it stands i'd offer a 2nd. as a texans fan i'd take a second for tate.

Texn4life 09-10-2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 2206770)
to me, Foster looks slow. He isn't running with the pop he had earlier in his career....I don't want to say he's spent, but he doesn't look like an elite back out there. Not trying to be knee-jerk or anything.

I saw some burst in him tonight that reminded me of the old him, but to me it seems like teams are doing a good job of taking away those cutback lanes Arian used to be well known for hitting. I would try mixing it up with some quick hitting running plays like some traps to kind of counter that. Its just what I see from the naked eye.

jtexas 09-10-2013 07:56 AM

Arian does have a different running style than Tate. Tate is more of a vertical runner with less patience. Foster lets his blocks dev. longer and it results in big gains or no gains. Last night was the first action he has seen since last season so i also give him a bye. I think it would be a good idea to start Tate and let Foster finish with the defense worn down.

RCPM 09-10-2013 08:08 AM

Yup, we need to cut Foster after one off game. :wadepalm:

speedfreek 09-10-2013 08:11 AM

There's a local Houston radio guy ripping Foster a new A-hole on NFL AM right now.

OUCH!

TJ

Rey 09-10-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedfreek (Post 2206841)
There's a local Houston radio guy ripping Foster a new A-hole on NFL AM right now.

OUCH!

TJ

They're ripping him on local radio too...something about his attitude when Tate waved him off the field and Arian showed displeasure.

NCTexan 09-10-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2206852)
They're ripping him on local radio too...something about his attitude when Tate waved him off the field and Arian showed displeasure.

I think that's a good thing! It's showing he's not pleased with his performance and wants to be the guy out there getting carries. He's a competitor. When I'm benched in sports I sure as hell ain't happy about it.

TheIronDuke 09-10-2013 09:28 AM

I say let them both go and lets run with Cierre Wood, who's like a combo of both styles.

Rey 09-10-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCTexan (Post 2206879)
I think that's a good thing! It's showing he's not pleased with his performance and wants to be the guy out there getting carries. He's a competitor. When I'm benched in sports I sure as hell ain't happy about it.

I wasn't complaining. Wasn't a good look, but passion is good.

NCTexan 09-10-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2206889)
I wasn't complaining. Wasn't a good look, but passion is good.

It was more directed at the radio guys, just piggybacking off your post.

I thought Foster flashed some really good runs, and I'm hoping he's just knocking rust off.

thunderkyss 09-10-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 2206770)
to me, Foster looks slow. .

He's always looked slow.

I don't think we'll ever see him accelerate away from anyone like AD.

He runs different than Tate, Tate's a bruiser, looks for contact & will hit a skinny seam & blow it up. If not for his injury history I'd have no doubt he could be a #1 RB.

What I saw last night, was that Foster wasn't comfortable with his OL. He'll get his reads down & he'll be the Foster we know & love soon.

Playoffs 09-10-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texanmike02 (Post 2206764)
I think you're a little ahead of yourself. This is ONE game. Foster didn't look great but this wasn't the Miami game. If at the end of the year Foster is sub 4.0 ypc then you might consider what you're talking about but Foster is 27, not 31.

Foster's successor is not on the roster right now. Tate is 25. You don't release a bell-cow runner for a guy 2 years his junior. You tender the younger guy an offer that nets you a 1st and you keep your horse and ride him 2 more years.

Mike

Bingo.

PapaL 09-10-2013 01:39 PM

I was not impressed with Foster's running or catching last night. Lethargic is the word that comes to mind. Tate looked good to me.

thunderkyss 09-10-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaL (Post 2207075)
I was not impressed with Foster's running or catching last night. Lethargic is the word that comes to mind. Tate looked good to me.

pssh....... that 1 handed catch had me screaming like a little girl (ask my wife)....

I was disappointed he didn't do anything with it, but that catch was impressive.

busterspencer 09-10-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtexas (Post 2206829)
Arian does have a different running style than Tate. Tate is more of a vertical runner with less patience. Foster lets his blocks dev. longer and it results in big gains or no gains. Last night was the first action he has seen since last season so i also give him a bye. I think it would be a good idea to start Tate and let Foster finish with the defense worn down.

Foster goes down with a whimper if he doesn't have a huge hole. There is no fight in him.