Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Texans compensatory picks 2014. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101791)

76Texan 09-05-2013 02:08 PM

Texans compensatory picks 2014.

Last year, the Texans were awarded a third and a sixth.

They lost:
Mario to the Bills with a big contract.
Jason Allen to the Bungals on a 2-yr/$8.2M deal.
Brisiel to the Raiders on a 5-yr/$20M deal.
And Dreessen to the Broncos on a 3-yr/&8.5M deal.

They signed two veterans Donnie Jones and Brady James to one-yr veteran minimum (thereabout).

What can we expect for the upcoming year?

TheIronDuke 09-05-2013 02:45 PM

Re: Texans compensatory picks 2014.

Barwin and Casey were the only real losses (Barwin not a true loss at all) and neither signed for that much plus we signed Lechler so my guess is a 6th if we get anything because Quin and Reed will balance each other out. Good to know that we finally get a good compensatory pick and piss it away on freaking Sam Montgomery.

76Texan 09-05-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2202929)
Barwin and Casey were the only real losses (Barwin not a true loss at all) and neither signed for that much plus we signed Lechler so my guess is a 6th if we get anything because Quin and Reed will balance each other out. Good to know that we finally get a good compensatory pick and piss it away on freaking Sam Montgomery.

What about Forsett, Jones, and Ball ?

drs23 09-05-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2202978)

They were all free agents weren't they? If so, no compo.

76Texan 09-05-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drs23 (Post 2202983)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10...ks-to-16-teams

infantrycak 09-05-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

That is the point of compensatory picks - to compensate teams who lose more/higher quality free agents than they sign.

Quote:

In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks.

Exascor 09-05-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

You get comp for free agents - not guys you release. Still doubt we get much of anything for those dudes.

Exascor 09-05-2013 04:44 PM

I am late to the dance once again. =)

TheIronDuke 09-05-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Yep, they were all free agents. The only players to be considered for compensatory selection purposes are Quin, Casey, and Barwin. We signed Lechler and Reed in free agency so I don't think we'll be getting much if anything compensatory-wise.

76Texan 09-05-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2202992)
Yep, they were all free agents. The only players to be considered for compensatory selection purposes are Quin, Casey, and Barwin. We signed Lechler and Reed in free agency so I don't think we'll be getting much if anything compensatory-wise.

Quin cancels out Reed.
Casey cancels out Lechler.

I think we'll get a 4th or 5th for Barwin.
We should get 2 lower picks for the other three guys.

TheIronDuke 09-05-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2202998)
Quin cancels out Reed.
Casey cancels out Lechler.

I think we'll get a 4th or 5th for Barwin.
We should get 2 lower picks for the other three guys.

We won't get anything for losing scrub veterans. If teams got compensation picks for every free agent they lost then there'd be hundreds handed out. NFL doesn't release their formula for determining comp picks so it's anyone's guess, but considering what we lost vs what we got in free agency I wouldn't think we'll get much if anything.

76Texan 09-05-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2203024)
We won't get anything for losing scrub veterans. If teams got compensation picks for every free agent they lost then there'd be hundreds handed out. NFL doesn't release their formula for determining comp picks so it's anyone's guess, but considering what we lost vs what we got in free agency I wouldn't think we'll get much if anything.

I don't think it matters. We lost one because we signed Jones last year at the minimum level; this year, he signs with tbe Eagles at the minimum level as well (plus "inflation" per cap rule.

We lost another by signing James to a minimum veteran contract; on the other hand, both Forsett and Ball signed two-year deals at a level higher than James (in term of dollar amount vs years of service).

There might be other teams that lost "more highly qualified" players, so I only count 2 of the 3 to be on the safe side.

Jones will be both the punter and the holder for the Eagles.
He's a starter, so that should help.

Ball was named a starter to start the season for the Jaguars; that should help also.
Forsett is their number two RB behind MJD; you'll never know how long MJD can hold up.

The signs are better than you might think.

drs23 09-05-2013 10:40 PM

OK guys. Thanks. :)

ChampionTexan 09-05-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2203037)
I don't think it matters. We lost one because we signed Jones last year at the minimum level; this year, he signs with tbe Eagles at the minimum level as well (plus "inflation" per cap rule.

We lost another by signing James to a minimum veteran contract; on the other hand, both Forsett and Ball signed two-year deals at a level higher than James (in term of dollar amount vs years of service).

There might be other teams that lost "more highly qualified" players, so I only count 2 of the 3 to be on the safe side.

Jones will be both the punter and the holder for the Eagles.
He's a starter, so that should help.

Ball was named a starter to start the season for the Jaguars; that should help also.
Forsett is their number two RB behind MJD; you'll never know how long MJD can hold up.

The signs are better than you might think.

If you're right, then the Greg Jones signing factors in there somewhere too.

76Texan 09-05-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampionTexan (Post 2203210)
If you're right, then the Greg Jones signing factors in there somewhere too.

You're right; how did I miss that big guy ?

So we still have one decent size contract and two smaller ones.

Two comp picks at least.
I think it's about time we package 'em picks to move up in the draft.

dalemurphy 09-06-2013 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2202978)

All three of those contracts qualify for the compensatory pick equation. We should receive at least two picks between rounds 4 and 6, and perhaps three picks within those rounds.

We can not trade those picks, however... Even after they have been awarded. They must be used by us on draft day to select a player... I'm not sure if we could select a player and then trade his rights on draft day to another team to get around that rule or not.

TheIronDuke 09-06-2013 09:03 AM

I can't believe anyone thinks we're going to be getting multiple compensatory picks, especially after last year where we lost a lot and signed little and only got 2 compensatory picks. We won't find out what we get until draft time but I guarantee we won't get all these picks you guys are thinking. Compensatory picks are more geared towards teams who lose players who leave for big contracts, not for scrub JAG's. We got the freaking Mr. Irrelevant pick for losing Dunta Robinson who got a huge contract for God's sakes and we're talking about getting compensatory picks for a NFL-minimum getting PUNTER? Good luck with that.

And, as was pointed out, compensatory picks can't be traded.

76Texan 09-06-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalemurphy (Post 2203272)
All three of those contracts qualify for the compensatory pick equation. We should receive at least two picks between rounds 4 and 6, and perhaps three picks within those rounds.

We can not trade those picks, however... Even after they have been awarded. They must be used by us on draft day to select a player... I'm not sure if we could select a player and then trade his rights on draft day to another team to get around that rule or not.

We can always package our own picks.

76Texan 09-06-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronDuke (Post 2203299)
I can't believe anyone thinks we're going to be getting multiple compensatory picks, especially after last year where we lost a lot and signed little and only got 2 compensatory picks. We won't find out what we get until draft time but I guarantee we won't get all these picks you guys are thinking. Compensatory picks are more geared towards teams who lose players who leave for big contracts, not for scrub JAG's. We got the freaking Mr. Irrelevant pick for losing Dunta Robinson who got a huge contract for God's sakes and we're talking about getting compensatory picks for a NFL-minimum getting PUNTER? Good luck with that.

And, as was pointed out, compensatory picks can't be traded.

Barwin's contract is of a bigger value than several guys like Matt Flynn, Josh Morgan, and Curtis Lofton. Their previous teams received a 4th as compensation; I don't see why the Texans can't.

Dutchrudder 10-23-2013 03:03 PM

We just need to start tallying a list of additions and free agent subtractions (guys who weren't cut) to see what we're working with. Then go after financials to estimate their value.

Free Agent Losses (6 qualifying):
Connor Barwin (6 years, 6 APY) 4th
Glover Quin (5 years, 4.7 APY ) 5th
James Casey (3 years, 4 APY) 5th
Justin Forsett (2 years, 1 APY) 7th
Alan Ball (2 years, 1 APY) 7th
Donnie Jones (1 year, 905k) 7th
Shayne Graham (1 year, minimum) nada
Rashad Butler (1 year, 715k) zilch

Free Agent Adds (3 qualifying):
March 28, 2013 Signed RB Greg Jones. (1 year, 1m APY) 7th
March 23, 2013 Signed P Shane Lechler. (3 years, 1.833 APY) 7th
March 23, 2013 Signed S Ed Reed. (3 years, 5 APY) 4th
May 15, 2013 Signed C Tyler Horn. (minimum) nada

If they grade Barwin on the APY, then he's definitely a 4th, if they grade him on guaranteed money, then he's a 5th/6th. His contract is wacky because it's so long, and it's heavily backloaded. I'll project a 4th here just for the heck of it, cause I'm pretty sure Ed Reed's deal will cancel it out either way.

Glover Quin and Ed Reed are right at the 4th/5th cutoff line. Last year it was right around 4.75million APY, but the lines generally move slightly higher each year. So they could both be rated a 5th, I don't know, it just depends. I would lean towards a 4th for Reed and a 5th for Quin.

Casey is in the low end of the 5th round range.

Forsett, Jones and Ball are all solidly in the 7th range.

The other guys listed are just to show that I am aware of them, and they do not affect the picks as far as I know. If anyone has more info on them, go ahead and post it.

So that's 6 adds, and 3 losses that qualify. I think Barwin and Reed cancel each other out. I think Jones and Lechler cancel out Ball and Forsett. And I think we end up with two 5ths for Quin and Casey, and a 7th for Jones. So 3 compensatory picks should be coming our way to help the new regime right the ship. Not too shabby.

All done.