Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Texans draft 2014 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101789)

76Texan 09-05-2013 11:37 AM

Texans draft 2014
 
What position should we be looking for?

I understand that some wants to look for that special QB.

What else?

ILB maybe?
CB maybe?
OG? OT?

Rank the positions of need, if you will.

Rey 09-05-2013 11:40 AM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
Cb, olb

NCTexan 09-05-2013 11:44 AM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
OLB, until they prove otherwise.

ILB, someone besides Cushing needs to step up.

DBs, we'll see how Reed does, and Swearinger is a rookie, we need to be looking 2-3 years down the road here. CB is always something to watch.

Oline, I know we have some good young guys, but RT is still a concern.

thunderkyss 09-05-2013 11:56 AM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
Safety

Insideop 09-05-2013 12:11 PM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2202870)
What position should we be looking for?

I understand that some wants to look for that special QB.

What else?

ILB maybe?
CB maybe?
OG? OT?

Rank the positions of need, if you will.

The positions of need will depend on what players they let go after the season and probably injuries to players this season. With the signing of Cushing and the probable extension of Watt next year we can expect to lose some impact players. Possible candidates are "Ninja," J Jo, Foster or Tate, Wade Smith, etc... This will open up more holes to fill come draft time. The cap will just not let you keep all your good players anymore.

If I had to guess though I think ILB and OLB will be high on the list. They tried to address the OLB situation this past draft but it was a poor class of LBers (both ILB and OLB) and I think they will have to try again next year. The class should be better with players like Andrew Jackson and Shane Skov coming out.

So, as it is now, if I were to rank the positions of need in the draft, it would probably be:

1. OLB, Very thin unit after Reed & Mercilus. Montgomery may be bust.
2. ILB, After Cush there's nothing but JAG's.
3. WR, Still need to find AJ's replacement. Not sold on Martin, Posey, etc.

Wolf6151 09-05-2013 04:36 PM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
I was thinking about this at work last night, here's my line of thinking:

1. Move Reed to ILB like we wanted to do this year. Reed's an instant upgrade at ILB next to Cushing and solidifies the middle. Then we only need some mid-late round depth in the draft.
2. Re-sign Antonio Smith to a 2 yr. extension but lower his base salary. Based on this past offseason the market for older vet. FA isn't all that great. Teams aren't lining up to throw big money at older vets. so we can probably get him back at a discount. This also lessens the need for a DT/DE high in the draft.
3. Tuggle gives us depth at ILB and Jefferson gives us depth at OLB, and with their continued development we won't need Montgomery and T. Williams who are both a disappointment.
4. We lose Wade Smith to FA and add Quessenberry at LG. Cheaper and better.
5. We cut OD and save some money, Graham is the starter, and I was impressed with Ryan Griffen in preseason.


Draft:

1. OLB, a stud here instantly gives us a starter and vastly improves our depth at the position with Jeffersons development.
2. CB, 2014 seems like a good year for CB. Some quality talent here allows for development for the future while also giving us quality depth at a position that's very hard to get depth at. Along with Bouye's development we could be the envy of the NFL.
3. Safety, we need someone to push Keo off the team and Ed Reed is probably a 1 and done player.
4. OT, someone to give serious competition at RT but can also play OG and add overall depth to the O-line. With B. Williams, a rookie, and Newton hopefully we find our future RT.
5. TE, depth and competition behind Graham and Griffen.
6. ILB, depth only since we'll have starters and Tuggle.
7. Safety, someone to add depth and play special teams.

steelbtexan 09-05-2013 05:10 PM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2202873)
Cb, olb

^^^^
This, unless Jackson is re-signed

OLB is the biggest need, then the RT problem still hasn't been solved in my mind. I wish Marlon Brown had stayed in camp with the Texans. Martin needs to improve or go. Maybe Cruse will turn into the player Martin was supposed to be.

powda 09-05-2013 05:39 PM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2203015)
I was thinking about this at work last night, here's my line of thinking:

1. Move Reed to ILB like we wanted to do this year. Reed's an instant upgrade at ILB next to Cushing and solidifies the middle. Then we only need some mid-late round depth in the draft.
2. Re-sign Antonio Smith to a 2 yr. extension but lower his base salary. Based on this past offseason the market for older vet. FA isn't all that great. Teams aren't lining up to throw big money at older vets. so we can probably get him back at a discount. This also lessens the need for a DT/DE high in the draft.
3. Tuggle gives us depth at ILB and Jefferson gives us depth at OLB, and with their continued development we won't need Montgomery and T. Williams who are both a disappointment.
4. We lose Wade Smith to FA and add Quessenberry at LG. Cheaper and better.
5. We cut OD and save some money, Graham is the starter, and I was impressed with Ryan Griffen in preseason.


Draft:

1. OLB, a stud here instantly gives us a starter and vastly improves our depth at the position with Jeffersons development.
2. CB, 2014 seems like a good year for CB. Some quality talent here allows for development for the future while also giving us quality depth at a position that's very hard to get depth at. Along with Bouye's development we could be the envy of the NFL.
3. Safety, we need someone to push Keo off the team and Ed Reed is probably a 1 and done player.
4. OT, someone to give serious competition at RT but can also play OG and add overall depth to the O-line. With B. Williams, a rookie, and Newton hopefully we find our future RT.
5. TE, depth and competition behind Graham and Griffen.
6. ILB, depth only since we'll have starters and Tuggle.
7. Safety, someone to add depth and play special teams.

Good post and I generally like all of it. Couple of additional thoughts...

Any projection is subject to change. For all we know ,Wade Phillips is gone and we're switching back to a 4-3 defense.

I'm still on the lookout for a young qb if the right one is available. With all the back up qb hoopla it's a topic that's gone to sleep. We'll see.

Cb is concerning to me right now. A year from now with reed and jjo gone our secondary looks scary. Mccain has not impressed me. I want a cb with actual starter potential. And your dead on, give me enough safety depth that keo isnt here.

Imo, the difference between a great defense and a better then average defense (which I think we have now) is an OUTSIDE rush. How backwards is it that right now we have the inside pass rush other teams struggle to get, but not the outside rush? If we cant find it durring the season expect continued high picks at olb.

I've come to believe out of the defensive starters the 2nd ilb is the least coveted. Like our offense values full backs, the defense values the backer inside next to cush. It's a throw away, journey man position as long as the team has other needs. I expect a mid to late round pick here along with another vet. Job description equals stack the point of attack in the run game...everything else is icing.

Nose tackle behind Mitchell looks very iffy (yea, I saw mcclain to but i've also watched him previous seasons...)

Texans nailed the Ryan Griffin pick and OD will be gone.

We have so much young o-line talent it's hard to imagine someone wont emerge as a quality starter. I dont expect a high pick here...

thunderkyss 09-05-2013 07:01 PM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2203038)
^^^^
This, unless Jackson is re-signed

OLB is the biggest need, then the RT problem still hasn't been solved in my mind. I wish Marlon Brown had stayed in camp with the Texans. Martin needs to improve or go. Maybe Cruse will turn into the player Martin was supposed to be.

This is year three & if Posey can be our WR3 I think Martin will fill his role nicely.


Quote:

Originally Posted by powda (Post 2203049)
Texans nailed the Ryan Griffin pick and OD will be gone.

Yeah they did.

Wolf6151 09-06-2013 12:38 AM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
I see next years O-line lineup being:

Brown - Quessenberry - Myers - Brooks - BPA

Their will be a major battle at RT between Newton, B. Williams, and a rookie draft pick.
Backups will be Ben Jones, and the 2 losers of the starting RT battle, maybe also Harris or Gardner as well.

I think we did very well with the Ryan Griffen pick, and the David Quessenberry pick. IMO Quessenberry looks like a 2nd or 3rd round talent, and after the injury he should be a great plug and play LG.

Here's a very early mock of players to watch.
1. Adrian Hubbard-OLB
2. Marcus Roberson-CB
3. Tre Boston-S
4. JaWaun James-OT/OG
5. Arthur Lynch-TE
6. Max Bullough-ILB
7. BSA = Best Safety Available.

Depending on the money situation Chris Myers could also be released and Ben Jones would then step up and fill his shoes, not likely but possible. I think Ed Reed, OD, and Wade Smith are all gone next year and I hope that we can re-sign Antonio Smith at a discount.

PapaL 09-06-2013 06:06 AM

What are our highest salary players coming up? That's the position I'd draft for. Gonna have to start planning for that rainy day. Plus OL/DL. Can never have enough talent there.

Playoffs 09-06-2013 09:05 AM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
How old is Peyton Manning's son?:kitten:

76Texan 09-06-2013 09:37 AM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2203325)
How old is Peyton Manning's son?:kitten:

I don't know, but I'll be keeping an eye Montana's son at Tulane.
He isn't ready yet, and should stay in college a couple of years.
Maybe we'll see him in the 2015 draft.

NCTexan 09-06-2013 12:19 PM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2203264)
3. Tre Boston-S

You think Boston is worth a third round pick? Just out of curiosity. I think he's solid, but I think he could be had lower.

badboy 09-06-2013 12:36 PM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2203038)
^^^^
This, unless Jackson is re-signed

OLB is the biggest need, then the RT problem still hasn't been solved in my mind. I wish Marlon Brown had stayed in camp with the Texans. Martin needs to improve or go. Maybe Cruse will turn into the player Martin was supposed to be.

KJ is a club option 2014.

beerlover 09-06-2013 09:33 PM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
CB if a first round graded player is available?
OG man they just gotta bite the bullet here too much pocket insecurity & litney of injury's to both young & old. A position you justify spending this high if he grades out as a starter.
TE this is fast becoming a premier position, would like to see a Basketball skilled big tall target with good hands who can run like the wind.
NT still want athletic big (surprised they cut ties with Chris Jones after drafting him) but maybe a higher slotted player to play in a base 3-4.
ILB always tend to target LB who can fill holes here & play special teams.
KR/PR predictable slot for returner like when they choose Trindon Holliday
OLB/OT depth

powda 09-07-2013 12:53 AM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 2203264)
I see next years O-line lineup being:

Brown - Quessenberry - Myers - Brooks - BPA

Yup. Wade Smith will be a cap casualty unless he takes a pay cut. Quess and Ben Jones will battle it out fiercely for the open LG spot. Jones is still eye'd as the successor to Meyers as well. At right tackle, we'll have zero doubt about what kind of talent Newton is by season's end. Williams will still be an unknown commodity. If Newton doesn't solidify the spot, look for a mid round pick and a journey man swing tackle type to also compete.

I see a rick smith trend on addressing "non priority positions." What's considered "non priority" is surely up for debate and offseason talent also plays into the equation (draft bpa, eager free agents...) To me the trend is attacking that non-priority position 3 ways: incumbent vs. rookie vs. Veteran journey man free agent.

I also see a rick smith trend of attacking positions 2 years in advance of contract expiration through the draft... As long as we have depth we have that luxury with mid and late round picks.

At rb we have a solid example of that. No they weren't drafted, but karim, cierre wood, d Johnson and the guy on the practice squad (forget his name) show a focus on a 2 year timetable. Tate will be gone and Foster will have boatloads of mileage. Foster will hit a wall sooner then later by percentages so find the next guy now and start grooming. It's not a bad formula.

Wolf6151 09-07-2013 05:37 AM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by powda (Post 2203618)
Yup. Wade Smith will be a cap casualty unless he takes a pay cut. Quess and Ben Jones will battle it out fiercely for the open LG spot. Jones is still eye'd as the successor to Meyers as well. At right tackle, we'll have zero doubt about what kind of talent Newton is by season's end. Williams will still be an unknown commodity. If Newton doesn't solidify the spot, look for a mid round pick and a journey man swing tackle type to also compete.

I see a rick smith trend on addressing "non priority positions." What's considered "non priority" is surely up for debate and offseason talent also plays into the equation (draft bpa, eager free agents...) To me the trend is attacking that non-priority position 3 ways: incumbent vs. rookie vs. Veteran journey man free agent.

I also see a rick smith trend of attacking positions 2 years in advance of contract expiration through the draft... As long as we have depth we have that luxury with mid and late round picks.

At rb we have a solid example of that. No they weren't drafted, but karim, cierre wood, d Johnson and the guy on the practice squad (forget his name) show a focus on a 2 year timetable. Tate will be gone and Foster will have boatloads of mileage. Foster will hit a wall sooner then later by percentages so find the next guy now and start grooming. It's not a bad formula.


*After reading what CND has written about B. Williams microfracture surgery, I have serious doubts that B. Williams will ever play a down for the Texans. Quite possibly another 3rd round wasted pick. This might move the drafting of a RT prospect next year a little higher, possibly to the 2nd or 3rd round. Maybe we even give Quessenberry a try at RT.

*This is the whole reason we need to spend a high pick on CB next year. The CB position is one that is difficult to transition from college to the NFL and takes at least 1 yr. but more likely 2yrs. to make the adjustment and be good at an NFL level.

I like the way Smith addresses needs with an incumbent, rookie, and cheap FA. Competition is a good thing. Also thanks for reminding me that Tate will be gone at the end of the year, in my previous posts I forgot about him and his leaving should save us a little money as well.

Corrosion 09-14-2013 05:15 AM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
I gotta start with RT and CB.

Newton has been a stop gap player at best. To run this offense they simply have to do a better job up front & Newton has been the weak link for the most part.


@ CB Im ok with J.Jo and K.Jax as the starters , then again J.Jo's going to have a mighty fat cap figure next season unless they rework his deal.
Behind those two is where the real issue lies - the nickel corner. McCain isn't the same guy he was two years ago & Brandon Harris has been a disappointment IMO.

Other positions of concern in no specific order ...

I also have to look at QB & RB in the next draft -

Tate likely walks after this season for a payday.

Schaub's getting no younger & I don't trust Yates or Keenum to be long term starters. I know a lot of people are high on both of them , I am to as far as backup's go , but that's the extent of it for me. QB may have to wait one more draft tho .....

DE is another questionmark going into next season as Ninja's contract expires. I have no clue if he stays for a reasonable contract or if the team can even afford that with K.Jax & Watt due hefty payday's.

OLB I'd have to address at this point , unless both Reed and Mercilus prove they can generate a pass rush. If only one of them does , I think you still have to look to upgrade the position.

Wolf6151 09-19-2013 03:29 AM

Re: Texans draft 2014
 
Since OLB seems to be high on many peoples list of 2014 position needs, does anyone have a list of suggested players? I'm looking at OLB's with enough size to handle the NFL position (run game and pass rush), or DE's with enough speed that can make the transition? Also do you think the Texans would actually draft an OLB in the 1st next year since this would essentially admit the mistake of picking Montgomery?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger