Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   NFL reaches concussion settlement with (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101681)

Section516 08-29-2013 11:50 AM

NFL reaches concussion settlement with

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ussion-lawsuit

A settlement has been reached between the NFL and a group of former players who sued because they believed the league didn't do enough to inform and protect them from head injuries, NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Thursday, citing a league source.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court, included about 5,000 litigants.

Edwerderespn Ed Werder
RT @SportsCenter: THIS JUST IN: NFL and players reach proposed $765 million settlement of concussion-related lawsuits

RT @adbrandt: Here is the order from Judge Brody: http://t.co/qPQJKwwEtV

eriadoc 08-29-2013 12:02 PM

Re: NFL reaches concussion settlement with

Well, that's a wrap, fellas. It may take 20 years, but we're headed toward flag football.

Double Barrel 08-29-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2199388)
Well, that's a wrap, fellas. It may take 20 years, but we're headed toward flag football.

At least until another league pops up to serve a market created by the increasingly over-regulated NFL. :thinking:

The new league will probably have their lawyers draw up contracts for players to knowingly accept responsibility and accountability for their decision to play a violent sport.

2012Champs 08-29-2013 12:33 PM

90k each if the attorney's get 40%

infantrycak 08-29-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012Champs (Post 2199396)
90k each if the attorney's get 40%

This is being settled as a class action. The attorneys fees are separate and will be determined on a Lodestar basis (total fees calculated on an hourly basis times a multiplier determined by the court) rather than a percentage.

IDEXAN 08-29-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2199388)

With more and more revenue coming from TV and less from Gate receipts, why don't they just play & telecast the games from international locations and thereby avoid the legal liabilty of domestic locations ?
And regarding the settlement, isn't that a much smaller number and much quicker resolution than most expected ?

badboy 08-29-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2199429)
With more and more revenue coming from TV and less from Gate receipts, why don't they just play & telecast the games from international locations and thereby avoid the legal liabilty of domestic locations ?
And regarding the settlement, isn't that a much smaller number and much quicker resolution than most expected ?

yes to the bolded

2012Champs 08-29-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2199420)
This is being settled as a class action. The attorneys fees are separate and will be determined on a Lodestar basis (total fees calculated on an hourly basis times a multiplier determined by the court) rather than a percentage.

Interesting I didnt know that

paycheck71 01-14-2014 10:49 AM

Not so fast

Quote:

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer
The Judge in US District Court overseeing the concussion case has DENIED preliminary approval of the settlement b/w players and the NFL.

paycheck71 01-14-2014 10:54 AM

Clarification

Quote:

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer
Judge Brody is basically asking for a special master to look at actuarial data, and make sure the economics are in order. Not a hard "no".

EllisUnit 01-14-2014 04:26 PM

[quote]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Double Barrel (Post 2199394)
At least until another league pops up to serve a market created by the increasingly over-regulated NFL. :thinking:

The new league will probably have their lawyers draw up contracts for players to knowingly accept responsibility and accountability for their decision to play a violent sport.[/QUOTE]

And that would be the smart thing for the NFL to do !!!!

HJam72 01-14-2014 05:39 PM

[quote=EllisUnit;2285406]
Quote:

And they will as soon as some upstart tries to beat them out that way. In the meantime, they'll slowly become flag football.

paycheck71 01-14-2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2285406)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HJam72 (Post 2285433)

And they will as soon as some upstart tries to beat them out that way. In the meantime, they'll slowly become flag football.

Didn't XFL already try to do this? Things have changed since then in the direction of taking even more hard hits out of football, but I don't think we're anywhere near a tipping point for a startup to start stealing fans away or being anywhere near capable of paying competitive wages to its players.

EllisUnit 01-14-2014 06:23 PM

[quote=HJam72;2285433]
Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2285406)

its already touch football, flags cant cost that much to put on plyers huh :whip:

EllisUnit 01-14-2014 06:25 PM

I'm sorry but if a new league started up tomorrow where they allowed a safety to lay out a WR coming over the middle, or for a DE to know the crap out of a running QB i would no longer watch the NFL. Even though itd be hard to leave my texans behind i'd still make the switch

2012Champs 01-14-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2285447)
I'm sorry but if a new league started up tomorrow where they allowed a safety to lay out a WR coming over the middle, or for a DE to know the crap out of a running QB i would no longer watch the NFL. Even though itd be hard to leave my texans behind i'd still make the switch

It would be hard at this point for another league to overtake the nfl, simply changing what hits are allowed wouldn't be enough imo

steelbtexan 01-14-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2285447)

So your not a fan of old time football?

You know the kind of football that allowed the NFL to become what it's become today?

I pay homage to the pre God'ell NFL. The Bradshaw/Staubach/Campbell/Brazille days. You're probably to young to remember those days and have been conditioned to buy into the crap God'ell is currently hocking as NFL football.

Wolf 06-03-2014 08:05 AM

Radio just said Dan Marino. Joined in a lawsuit if I heard correctly.

EllisUnit 06-03-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2285579)
So your not a fan of old time football?

You know the kind of football that allowed the NFL to become what it's become today?

I pay homage to the pre God'ell NFL. The Bradshaw/Staubach/Campbell/Brazille days. You're probably to young to remember those days and have been conditioned to buy into the crap God'ell is currently hocking as NFL football.

i'm really confused, i just said if old time football came back i would not watch this crap anymore :kitten: or am i missing something, maybe you should re read what you quoted.

Double Barrel 06-03-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 2347489)
Radio just said Dan Marino. Joined in a lawsuit if I heard correctly.

yep. Read that today, as well:

Quote:

Dan Marino joins concussion lawsuit against the NFL

Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino is among the latest group of NFL players to file a concussion-related lawsuit against the NFL.

Marino and 14 other former NFL players filed the lawsuit in a federal court in Pennsylvania May 28, joining more than 4,500 others who had previously accused the NFL of misleading players about the long-term dangers of concussions.

The NFL and the plaintiffs agreed on a $765 million settlement last August, but the settlement was rejected by a federal judge in January.

The suit filed by Marino and others is similar in nature to hundreds of earlier lawsuits, and accuses the NFL of "carelessness, negligence, intentional misconduct" regarding concussions, according to the documents filed last week and obtained by USA TODAY Sports.

---------------------

Marino, 52, retired in 1999 after playing 17 seasons for the Miami Dolphins. He did not have significant history of documented concussions, but dealt with a neck injury late in his career. He missed 11 games in 1993 after suffering a torn Achilles' tendon.

Full article
Interesting to note that Marino just joined, AFTER losing his broadcast job with CBS a couple of months ago.