Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Graham Suffers "Hip Pointer" (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101631)

CloakNNNdagger 08-25-2013 08:08 PM

Graham Suffers "Hip Pointer"
 
A few people have called me to ask "what is a hip pointer." A hip pointer is a sports injury in which the player can probably make a diagnosis as quickly and accurately as a physician. Youíll know it has happened when you get hit or fall on your side, and the first thing that absorbs the blow is the outer part of what most people would call the hip bone. Actually, a hip pointer is a deep bruise, or contusion, on the top portion of the pelvis that can be felt on either side of the waistline. The distinguishing characteristic is hip pain, plain and simple.

Itís not a career-ender, but it is a very painful injury that can keep you out of action for days or weeks if you donít take care of it and if you rush back into training or competition before it has healed. It is difficult to manage because the strong muscles that attach put constant pulling stress on the area.

The hit can happen to any part of the pelvic rim.

http://adolescenthippain.weebly.com/...36970_orig.jpg

It is a "meaner" injury than what the name implies.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/3934196_f120.jpg

You can see how many muscles, and especially large muscles, are attached to the pelvic rim. Any or all can go into spasm from the injury, with varying degrees of direct trauma to the muscle with bleeding into the muscle.

http://lowerextremityinjury.pbworks....hip-flexor.jpg

infantrycak 08-25-2013 08:11 PM

Re: Graham Suffers "Hip Pointer"
 
Luckily the rookie has looked really good.

Tailgate 08-25-2013 08:15 PM

Re: Graham Suffers "Hip Pointer"
 
Rather relieved with our injuries or lack thereof overall this preseason. And by injuries I mean 12-18 month ones. (Knock Knock)

CloakNNNdagger 08-25-2013 08:22 PM

Re: Graham Suffers "Hip Pointer"
 
The only thing that could really make it a multi-month recovery would be if it is accompanied by a fracture of the pelvic rim, which takes quite a blow to occur. And Kubiak called it a "little" hip pointer. Radiologic imaging should rule this out by sometime tomorrow.

scourge 08-25-2013 09:35 PM

Re: Graham Suffers "Hip Pointer"
 
Speaking from experience, hip pointers REALLY f'n hurt. With mine, it was in the front of that "pelvic rim" where it comes to a point. The initial impact was hard but didn't hurt much since there was no muscle on that point, just skin and bone. 3-5 seconds later was pure agony. Being 20 years ago, my memory is a lil fuzzy, but I can't recall being limited longer than 2 weeks. Then again, I'm not a professional athlete.

TheRealJoker 08-25-2013 09:57 PM

Re: Graham Suffers "Hip Pointer"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 2197984)
The only thing that could really make it a multi-month recovery would be if it is accompanied by a fracture of the pelvic rim, which takes quite a blow to occur. And Kubiak called it a "little" hip pointer. Radiologic imaging should rule this out by sometime tomorrow.

So on the low end it's a 1-2 week recovery. On the serious end it's out for season ala Dennis Pitta?

hradhak 08-26-2013 05:57 AM

Re: Graham Suffers "Hip Pointer"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealJoker (Post 2198019)
So on the low end it's a 1-2 week recovery. On the serious end it's out for season ala Dennis Pitta?

He'd have to fracture it to be out for the season. A pelvic fracture is pretty tough to do. I see it in trauma all the time with car accidents, but it is less common in football because the pelvis is a circular structure and dissipates force. To break it, you generally have to break it in 2 places (one point, and the opposite end of the circle that makes up the pelvis). That said, a hip pointer can be an isolated chip fracture.

His recovery is dependent on how close the bruise is to the attachment of the muscles on the pelvis (which dictates pain) and how large the bruise is and then the presence of a fracture.

Just from a percentage standpoint, he will probably be ready for San Diego, but that's why they will do the x-ray or ct.

CloakNNNdagger 08-26-2013 06:53 AM

Re: Graham Suffers "Hip Pointer"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hradhak (Post 2198084)
He'd have to fracture it to be out for the season. A pelvic fracture is pretty tough to do. I see it in trauma all the time with car accidents, but it is less common in football because the pelvis is a circular structure and dissipates force. To break it, you generally have to break it in 2 places (one point, and the opposite end of the circle that makes up the pelvis). That said, a hip pointer can be an isolated chip fracture.

His recovery is dependent on how close the bruise is to the attachment of the muscles on the pelvis (which dictates pain) and how large the bruise is and then the presence of a fracture.

Just from a percentage standpoint, he will probably be ready for San Diego, but that's why they will do the x-ray or ct.

Thanks for clarifying that. :tiphat: A "chip fracture" is really the type of fracture I was referring to. It is surprising how much just a little chip fracture on the pelvic rim with attached muscle pulling on it can increase the pain and prolong the recovery.

http://www.fitnesshealth101.com/imag...ip_pointer.jpg

HOU-TEX 08-26-2013 09:08 AM

Re: Graham Suffers "Hip Pointer"
 
Hip pointers suck!

That said, better than a fracture or labrum

eriadoc 08-26-2013 01:05 PM

Re: Graham Suffers "Hip Pointer"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 2197984)
And Kubiak called it a "little" hip pointer.

So he's lost for the season then.

:kitten:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger