Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   The Dirty Little Truth About the Texans Roof Policy (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101390)

CloakNNNdagger 08-11-2013 07:03 PM

The Dirty Little Truth About the Texans Roof Policy

The policy:

Quote:

We will consider opening the roof at Reliant Stadium when the game time temperature is projected to be between 50 and 80 degrees. Our goal for implementing the “50-80 Rule” is to provide the most comfortable environment possible to enjoy Houston Texans games. Please note that the threat of rain will influence this decision, and when there is a good chance of rain during a game, the roof will be closed. Also, our parameters for late afternoon and evening games may shift slightly because of the absence of direct sunlight.
But the Chronicle's Science reporter found that:

Quote:

the games in which the Texans have closed their roof, studied the hourly weather conditions at the time, and found that the team closed the roof about half of the time even when temperatures were between 50 and 80 degrees, and it did not rain.
http://blog.chron.com/weather/files/...id-600x319.jpglink

Playoffs 08-11-2013 07:34 PM

Re: The Dirty Little Truth About the Texans Roof Policy

Roof closed = louder = better for the good guys. :cowboy1:

Wolf 08-11-2013 07:44 PM

I always thought that the Retractable roof is the biggest waste of money Esp when it may be open one or times a year?

Lucky 08-11-2013 07:49 PM

Prior to the Steeler debacle, the roof was open fairly often. Since, not so much. No one has ever passed out due to too much shade.

DocBar 08-11-2013 08:09 PM

I wish they would open it more often. 80* might be a bit warm, especially on the sunny side of the field, but if it's in the high 50's to mid 70's, open the damned thing. Outside football is awesome!!!

thunderkyss 08-11-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 2191660)
I always thought that the Retractable roof is the biggest waste of money Esp when it may be open one or times a year?

I thought the league wanted closed stadiums, but real grass & the retractable roof was a way to make that happen. During the week, the roof is normally open, for the grass. So I think they are getting their money's worth out of it.

CloakNNNdagger 08-11-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2191670)
I thought the league wanted closed stadiums, but real grass & the retractable roof was a way to make that happen. During the week, the roof is normally open, for the grass. So I think they are getting their money's worth out of it.

The only problem is that even with the roof open 24 hrs a day, because of the way the architects designed and oriented the stadium, the amount of sun that the grass received still would not be adequate for it to be optimally maintained (and that is not even accounting for long stretches of cloudy days). That's why it requires frequent transport of the pallets out of the stadium, or replacement.

drs23 08-11-2013 09:08 PM

The lid is closed because that's the way Kubiak wants it folks. He's on record as having said so.

It's really not a brain teaser.

ATXtexanfan 08-11-2013 09:18 PM

I like a controlled enviroment. Noise is a better homefield advantage than climate. Just sayin

Vance87 08-11-2013 09:23 PM

Just wait until Goodell pulls a Selig and makes us open the roof for a January night game. If we ever get one of those.

HJam72 08-11-2013 09:40 PM

If other teams are "allowed" to have open air stadiums in the freezing winter, then McNair can bring in artificial snow-makers for all I care. Yes, it is a home-field advantage. Get over it.

eriadoc 08-11-2013 09:58 PM

I understand and support the 80 degree limit. 80 degrees in direct sunlight is pretty harsh. And let's face it, heat is our frozen tundra here. I do not get the 50 degree lower limit. 50 degrees is awesome football weather. Cold weather in Houston is not unbearable, and again, direct sunlight heats up the inside of that stadium to warmer than the mercury says anyway.

TheMatrix31 08-11-2013 10:01 PM

I hate domes but I like the loud crowd. At least our turf is not ugly like the Superdome or Metrodome. Must be the sun.

DocBar 08-11-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 2191677)
The only problem is that even with the roof open 24 hrs a day, because of the way the architects designed and oriented the stadium, the amount of sun that the grass received still would not be adequate for it to be optimally maintained (and that is not even accounting for long stretches of cloudy days). That's why it requires frequent transport of the pallets out of the stadium, or replacement.

They have 2 or 3 fields worth of these trays, right? How hard would it be to rotate them and not put a field worth of skids in before game time on Sunday? With this system, we should never have turf problems. If the trays don't fit right, fix them til they do.

MEGA SWATT 08-12-2013 12:44 AM

Leave it closed all the time:scarygirl:

ThaJokaa 08-12-2013 12:46 AM

They probably just leave it closed now since all the nuts and bolts got rusted up there since they never opened the darn thing!

TexanDave 08-12-2013 12:04 PM

I would like for the roof to be open more often but in their defense the 3 games last year where the temp fell in 50/80 range there was a chance of rain, even if just slightly. People not covered by the roof overhang would have been complaining about getting wet.

And without any kind of airflow in the stadium it can get hot in there so that has to be considered even if it is 79 it feels much warmer than that.

DX-TEX 08-12-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2191658)
Roof closed = louder = better for the good guys. :cowboy1:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan (Post 2191684)
I like a controlled enviroment. Noise is a better homefield advantage than climate. Just sayin

It has been proven that this is incorrect. It is no louder with the roof closed than open. If it was true how come the Seahawks stadium is the loudest in the NFL?

paycheck71 08-12-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DX-TEX (Post 2191883)
It has been proven that this is incorrect. It is no louder with the roof closed than open. If it was true how come the Seahawks stadium is the loudest in the NFL?

That really doesn't prove anything. Each structure is different and has different acoustics.

That doesn't mean that Reliant is louder or quieter with the roof closed/open. I'm just saying that the fact that the Seahawks stadium is loud doesn't mean Reliant would be too.

I don't go to the games, but I'd like to see the roof open more if the temp is comfortable.

Porky 08-12-2013 01:11 PM

Go to Green Bay and ask those fans if they mind getting wet. Only difference is it's 14 below zero when they are getting wet. Hell, it's a badge of honor. It's football, not tiddly winks.

I don't like the stadium design. I realize it was for the rodeo. Screw the rodeo. This is football, not bull riding. Why should they have had to compromise? Let the rodeo build their own place. Miami is open air. Jax is open. Other warm areas are as well. If it was oriented different, with a different roof design, I bet the air flow and breezes would be much better.