Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Post-Preseason Wk 1; Tj or Case? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101387)

thunderkyss 08-11-2013 02:34 PM

Post-Preseason Wk 1; Tj or Case?

Let's say Matt's wife talks him into hanging it up before the season starts.... go live on a Hawaiian Island or something (it could happen), Who would you rather as our starting QB?

Tj Yates: From North Carolina, been running "our" system for at least 4 years.

Case: NCAAF passing leader (of all time)... he has "it"

poll coming

Speedy 08-11-2013 03:00 PM

Re: Post-Preseason Wk 1; Tj or Case?

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2191565)

There you go. Been running it 4 years and still not all that good at it.

The Pencil Neck 08-11-2013 03:02 PM

After the Vikings game, I'm partial to Case. Before the Vikings game, I was partial to TJ.

I'd need to see more of both of them before I could say.

As a UH grad, I would love it story-wise if Case beat out TJ and turned into the second coming of Joe Montana. But I just want the best QB on the field, not the best story.

Hervoyel 08-11-2013 03:05 PM

I'd like to state for the record that I didn't read all the options and didn't see "May the Best Man Win". I was thinking it was an either or and looked for my choice between the two and clicked away.

Had a finished reading the options I'd have clicked on "May The Best Man Win"

Corrosion 08-11-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2191575)
After the Vikings game, I'm partial to Case. Before the Vikings game, I was partial to TJ.

As a UH grad, I would love it story-wise if Case beat out TJ and turned into the second coming of Joe Montana. But I just want the best QB on the field, not the best story.

I feel pretty much the same way , pre Vikes I figured it was Yates job but post Vikes , I think its an open competition.
Its probably still "Yates job to lose" , but the pressure is ratcheted up a few notches. Keenum likely has to significantly outplay Yates but he has a shot to earn the job.

I do believe that Keenum had the better showing Vs the Vikes by a pretty wide margin. Yates started very slowly ....

DocBar 08-11-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2191565)
Let's say Matt's wife talks him into hanging it up before the season starts.... go live on a Hawaiian Island or something (it could happen), Who would you rather as our starting QB?

Case: NCAAF passing leader (of all time)... he has "it"

poll coming

This is Yate's 4th year in the system. He hasn't been running the system for four years. Next preseason you can say he's been running the system for four years. :D

I voted for Keenum. That "it" he seems to have is greater than the sum of Yates' experience, IMHO.

thunderkyss 08-11-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2191575)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hervoyel (Post 2191577)
Had a finished reading the options I'd have clicked on "May The Best Man Win"

No worries. If there's plenty of participation in this thread, I'll start another one after week 2, then week 3, then week 4

thunderkyss 08-11-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBar (Post 2191591)
This is Yate's 4th year in the system. He hasn't been running the system for four years. Next preseason you can say he's been running the system for four years. :D

I voted for Keenum. That "it" he seems to have is greater than the sum of Yates' experience, IMHO.

Actually I was trying to include his Junior & Senior year at UNC.... but my math is bad either way.

AngryNateFTW 08-11-2013 04:01 PM

If Schaub had to hang it up before the season started I would have to say that the QB who gives us the best chance to win isn't on our roster.

We'd trade for someone. I'm not going to say who but I know that Kubiak has connections. *Hint Hint*

If Schaub finishes out his contract I could see Case possibly improving more and being able to hold the starting job.

Yates wasn't even impressive at UNC.

Thorn 08-11-2013 04:02 PM

May the best man win.

But I have a feeling it'd be Case eventually taking over whether he got it immediately or not. TJ seems like a career backup to me, but Case has starting potential if he can learn the pro game.

thunderkyss 08-11-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW (Post 2191596)

Yates wasn't even impressive at UNC.

Uh.... he was drafted. The other guy was passed by 32 teams 7 times.

That's 32 x 7 = Something like a million times.

AngryNateFTW 08-11-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2191599)

Matt Cassel never played a down in college and got drafted.

Jason White won the heisman and went undrafted.

Matt Flynn was a 7th round pick and came in and torched the Lions as a back-up which led to his nice paychecks in Seattle and Oakland.

It all depends on what scouts see during the pre-draft process. It doesn't mean all scouts are right.

If all scouts were right, Ryan Leaf would be in the elite status, Tom Brady would be a nobody, Charles Rogers would be better than AJ, and Watt wouldn't have had 20.5 sacks last season....

Direct quote from Watt's combine scouting report

Quote:

WEAKNESSES: Won't consistently get the edge on tackles with his get off or quickness. Plays high at times, can be blown off the ball by the double team, but does fight hard to hold ground. Lacks some lateral mobility both rushing the passer and playing in space. Will occasionally give up outside contain.
Bolded everything wrong in this scouting report. :)

Obviously scouts/coaches saw more in Yates than they did in Keenum but that doesn't mean Yates will be the better pro.

Scouts aren't always right. Scouts don't decide a player's future.

Showtime100 08-11-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2191592)
No worries. If there's plenty of participation in this thread, I'll start another one after week 2, then week 3, then week 4

Yeah, I voted 'may the best man win' due to how early it is. I'm sure one or the other will win my vote in the weeks to come.

Brandon420tx 08-11-2013 04:42 PM

This thread should have waited until at least next week. I'm really not going take a position on this yet

Corrosion 08-11-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon420tx (Post 2191611)
This thread should have waited until at least next week. I'm really not going take a position on this yet

I think its pretty telling that Kubiak stated they are considering playing Keenum ahead of Yates against Miami ....

Yes , we need a greater sample size from both to make a decision .... But I'm somewhat surprised that its a battle at all. When camp opened , I didn't give Keenum much of a chance at making the roster much less being the #2.

After watching parts of camp and both play against Minny , I have to believe that both are on the table for Keenum.

Vance87 08-11-2013 05:02 PM

Schaub can't do that!

:specnatz:

PapaL 08-11-2013 05:23 PM

I genuinely don't give a rats ass who the QB. Let the better QB win.

FTR - Case had it in college. There's no proof he has it in the pros. Actually 32 franchises decided he didn't have it when he went undrafted. Minor point.

eriadoc 08-11-2013 05:24 PM

May the best man win. I've never had a problem with Yates winning the #2 job. I have a problem with people who are writing off/want to write off Keenum without letting them compete. If Yates beats out Keenum (he ought to, given his experience), then good for him. Frankly, I had hoped he'd be competing with Schaub at this point instead of Keenum.

But don't push another man down just because you want confirmation of your bias.

DocBar 08-11-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2191599)

Wow!!! You are bad at math!!!! :lol:

Lucky 08-11-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon420tx (Post 2191611)

It should have stayed in the existing Keenum thread. I would have merged it, but I don't know what would have happened to the poll.

There won't be another poll after each preseason game. This is THE poll. Two threads about the backup QB is enough.