Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Where do Texans Rank in the AFC ??? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101301)

EllisUnit 08-05-2013 09:41 PM

Where do Texans Rank in the AFC ???

I know these things are getting old, i am so ready for the season to start. Hell i'm even excited for pre season which i'm usually not. Amazing how we go from not near the best a few weeks ago to the class of the AFC haha.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...b-448ac1528bba

What really surprises me is how high Deion Sanders is on us, cause in the past it seemed like he always had it out for us.

Corrosion 08-05-2013 09:52 PM

Re: Where do Texans Rank in the AFC ???

I have to put them #1 or #2.

Their chief competition - NE , Baltimore and Denver have all either gotten worse thru FA losses or injury while they have the majority of their core together for a few more seasons.

NE Lost literally their entire receiving corps.

Baltimore .... wow what an exodus

Denver got better at WR but worse at LBer as well as injuries on the OL. Peyton cant be Peyton laying on his back.

Cincy might make a jump this year ..... but I cant see Indy duplicating their season.

The only team I can say I feel threatened by is Denver in the AFC .... and that's highly questionable dependent upon how their new center performs - IE: Keeping Peyton upright.

Allstar 08-05-2013 10:01 PM

I do not believe we can beat New England.

Texan_Bill 08-05-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allstar (Post 2189005)

I think that changes this year!!

That said, I'll go back into my cynical self. As my Avi states; "Mediocrity Lives Here"

SOOOO, we'll see!

EllisUnit 08-05-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

I do, Kubiak will have to leave his comfort zone, but i believe we can beat them.

revan 08-05-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Care to elaborate on why we wont beat them?.

PapaL 08-05-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Until we thump them convincingly, I concur. We went from Manning beating our ass to Brady. Gotta punch a bully in the mouth. Right now they've taken our lunch money.

Corrosion 08-05-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaL (Post 2189041)
Until we thump them convincingly, I concur. We went from Manning beating our ass to Brady. Gotta punch a bully in the mouth. Right now they've taken our lunch money.

They have also taken a significant step backwards in terms of personnel .... You don't lose all those receivers and expect to have the same potent offense.

Defensively they aren't all that either , their offense , particularly Brady has covered up their weaknesses there over the past decade or so.

That team goes as Brady goes .... and I don't expect the same Brady we've come to expect because he has .... a buncha nobody's to throw to.

Vinnie 08-05-2013 11:35 PM

We also didn't have Cushing in either of those games we played against them. Hopefully that's not the case this year.

MEGA SWATT 08-06-2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie (Post 2189048)
We also didn't have Cushing in either of those games we played against them. Hopefully that's not the case this year.

Yep.....

DexmanC 08-06-2013 02:28 AM

On paper, the Texans will enter the season as the most talented team in the AFC, and they have got the coaching to match. It is gonna be a very interesting season.

TheMatrix31 08-06-2013 04:15 AM

Our inability to beat NE is a bit misleading. In the MNF game, a completely avoidable bad start spiraled out of control.

Corrosion 08-06-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DexmanC (Post 2189068)
On paper, the Texans will enter the season as the most talented team in the AFC, and they have got the coaching to match. It is gonna be a very interesting season.

You are one of the few who believe the bold.

I wont argue the point - Just naking a statement.

Yes , it seems that things are falling the Texans way thus far.

clutch 08-06-2013 06:52 AM

The way I see it..as of now..there are 2 teams in each conference that are superbowl contenders...houston and denver in the afc..greenbay and san francisco in the nfc...

Scooter 08-06-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2189077)
You are one of the few who believe the bold.

i certainly believe it. when we didnt have a running game matt schaub lead the league in passing with only andre and daniels as real threats. we get a running game and arian foster is #1 in the league. we've now found balance and are top 10 across the board in what's called a down year - with only andre as a real receiving threat. we sent 3 offensive linemen to the probowl (yeah i dont see how wade got in), and teams are jumping all over our castoffs. all while focusing most of the resources on defense.

wade phillips i dont think there's much to say, and our assistant coaches are getting a ton of praise.

marciano is the only weak link.

as for where to rank them, it's gotta be at the top. because i believe we have great coaching, and we hit big time filling needs this offseason without losing anything, i think we went from a top 4 afc team to probably the head of the pack.

Thorn 08-06-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DexmanC (Post 2189068)

I agree with you. On paper, the Texans look like a contender for the crown. But, having lived in Houston my whole life and have never experienced any crowns but basketball ones, I'm skeptical for now.

But this does appear to be a good year in the making for the Texans. Of course I said the same thing last year as well. And the year before that.

deucetx 08-06-2013 08:42 AM

I'm not putting the Texans ahead of a team they have yet to beat recently. Paper doesn't win anything so going by that I find pointless. So until we beat the Patriots (which we are capable of I feel) they are the better team. Just like I'm not with the rest of the sports world putting the Broncos ahead of the Texans since they lost in their own stadium in a game they never really had control.

So I guess if I had to rank them I would have them at 2nd in the AFC at this point. In truth, all the top AFC teams are interchangable with each other. All comes down to matchups so any of the four could get there. Couple more teams rising but until you see it, it's just paper. Part of the reason I could care less about the receiving corps the Patriots have. Brady is still the QB and he has worked with no-name receivers/running backs before. Nothing new there.

nero THE zero 08-06-2013 08:50 AM

I wouldn't have a problem ranking them anywhere 1-4 in the AFC.

The top 4 teams are NE, Denver, Houston and Baltimore in whatever order tickles your fancy.

What's curious to me is that I saw two different national media guys ranking the Texans 6th and 7th in the AFC recently behind the likes of Cincinnati and Indianapolis. You can reasonably put the Texans behind Denver, NE and Baltimore, but when you start putting them behind Indianapolis and Cincinnati you are just begging for clicks.

ObsiWan 08-06-2013 09:14 AM

Top teams (clearly the class of the AFC):
Baltimore
Denver
Houston
New England
note: I alphabetized the list so nothing is implied by the order.

So I agree - on paper - we're among the best

BUT...
all of the top tier teams have questions.

Baltimore - will their defense be the same after losing Sugar Ray and Ed Reed? Can Flacco repeat the magic (luck?) he had during last year's SB run?
Denver - Lost key pieces to F/A and injury. Plus there's the "Why does Peyton seem to fade in the playoffs factor? Yeah, he'll get you there but then what?
Houston - Can Schaub step up big in primetime? How will the 2013 version of Wade's D perform?
New England - Brady has taken a no-name group of receivers to the playoffs before; can he do it again?

I think we're probably #2 if I had to rank the top teams. Of the teams on the list, we're the only one w/o a QB with SB experience. That's big.

PapaL 08-06-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2189047)
They have also taken a significant step backwards in terms of personnel .... You don't lose all those receivers and expect to have the same potent offense.

Defensively they aren't all that either , their offense , particularly Brady has covered up their weaknesses there over the past decade or so.

That team goes as Brady goes .... and I don't expect the same Brady we've come to expect because he has .... a buncha nobody's to throw to.

I don't disagree at all. Right now they are in our heads though. We were probably more talented during the other 2 beat downs as well. As long as Brady has all day to throw, he'll eventually find someone. Doesn't matter is Curly, Larry, and Moe are their WR/TEs. Belichick is great at putting guys in position to do what they do best.