Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101222)

EVOLVIST 07-30-2013 12:59 PM

Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
So, yeah, which Texans' rookie to you predict had the biggest impact with the team in 2013?

You can define "impact" in any way you wish, but obviously the player stands out above the rest, even if you predict it will be marginally so.

I'm asking for realism, here; nevertheless, you can choose "other" because he's an alum from your grandmother's alma mater, or maybe a friend of a friend sells him weed...you catch my drift.

Me? I'm going with DJ Swearinger. Fast and furious. Non stop. I think he might be the best NFL-Ready pick we've had since Watt (and that's kudos to RS & Co.) I'm sniffing a little Earl Thomas here. I still predict Ed Reed will miss time, so Swearinger and D. Manning are the guys back there...in a big way!

JCTexan 07-30-2013 01:04 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
I have to go with Hopkins. He's going to start right away and he should give the Texans a legit #2 WR to go with AJ.

The Pencil Neck 07-30-2013 01:05 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
I'm expecting a lot from Hopkins. Even though this is a difficult offense for rookie WRs, I think he's going to do well.

At this point, I've got Quessenberry in second place. I think he's going to see some PT and do a surprisingly good job.

Wolf6151 07-30-2013 01:10 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
It's hard to pick just one. I think Swearinger gets alot of playing time with the injury to Reed and thus has the most opportunity to make an impact. My pick is Swearinger as well. I really like Hopkins, but I just don't see Kubiak or Schaub trusting him alot in his rookie season. Also with AJ, OD, and Foster getting targeted more I don't think it leaves alot of opportunity for Hopkins to shine. I really like what I hear about this new UDFA Willie Jefferson, but I don't think Kubiak will trust a rookie much or give him much of a chance in real games.

Thorn 07-30-2013 01:10 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
I can't see anyone but Swearinger being the Texans rookie of the year based on what is happening right now. Maybe that corner we got in the 2nd round has a chance to make an impact, but that's about it unless we get surprised by someone.

eriadoc 07-30-2013 01:11 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
I think Hopkins is going to be good, but rookie WRs have a tougher row to hoe than rookie defenders. With Ed Reed missing significant time, Swearinger's path to being a key contributor is a little more smoothly paved.

The other option would be one that everyone would overlook, and that's if one of the rookies takes over and holds down the RT spot. That would be exceptional, and everyone would still talk about Hopkins and Swearinger.

The Pencil Neck 07-30-2013 01:13 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 2186722)
I can't see anyone but Swearinger being the Texans rookie of the year based on what is happening right now. Maybe that corner we got in the 2nd round has a chance to make an impact, but that's about it unless we get surprised by someone.

I have read this and it has confused me.

I read it again and it confused me even more.

Swearinger is the guy we got in the 2nd round but he's not a corner, he's a SS and he's the guy you mentioned. So... are you saying that Swearinger is going to be the ROY unless he beats himself out and wins it in an upset of himself?

Rey 07-30-2013 01:17 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
Hopkins with Swearinger close behind.

ChampionTexan 07-30-2013 01:18 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2186725)
I have read this and it has confused me.

I read it again and it confused me even more.

Swearinger is the guy we got in the 2nd round but he's not a corner, he's a SS and he's the guy you mentioned. So... are you saying that Swearinger is going to be the ROY unless he beats himself out and wins it in an upset of himself?

Remember, Thorn is an alien, and as such, it seems perfectly reasonable that he has the ability to see the future.

I simply assumed that this means we will draft a CB in round two of the 2014 draft, and that CB will have such an outstanding rookie season, he will be awarded rookie of the year for both the current season and the previous one.

Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

Rey 07-30-2013 01:19 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 2186722)
I can't see anyone but Swearinger being the Texans rookie of the year based on what is happening right now. Maybe that corner we got in the 2nd round has a chance to make an impact, but that's about it unless we get surprised by someone.

I'm guessing you meant Hopkins with Swearinger maybe having a chance?

The Pencil Neck 07-30-2013 01:19 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampionTexan (Post 2186730)
Remember, Thorn is an alien, and as such, it seems perfectly reasonable that he has the ability to see the future.

I simply assumed that this means we will draft a CB in round two of the 2014 draft, and that CB will have such an outstanding rookie season, he will be awarded rookie of the year for both the current season and the previous one.

Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

Thank you for explaining. I don't know what I was thinking.

Playoffs 07-30-2013 01:20 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
Hmmm...... rookie.....

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/reposit...inking-023.GIF

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/simpsons...y-emoticon.gif

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smile...ing-705257.gif

still thinking.....

Thorn 07-30-2013 01:23 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
:lol:

I got my names mixed up. Sorry guys. I meant the WR is the guy I think will have the most impact, not the corner.

Sorry for the confusion, but it was funny reading yall's posts!

Scooter 07-30-2013 01:40 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
i really think hopkins is going to have a julio jones type impact. he's getting coaching from the best in the game in andre, joseph and ed reed. kubiak and schaub are going to get him a ton of targets. i'm betting we see a lot of gameplans aiming at hopkins early in the game to pull the defense away from andre and foster. if he's the hard worker and talent that's being reported, i dont think a big season is out of the question.

swearinger would be a close second for me. it sounds like he's going to get a ton of playing time and take over glover quin's role. as long as he wraps up and keeps his aggression focused, he could have a big impact.

IDEXAN 07-30-2013 01:59 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2186725)

Swearinger is the guy we got in the 2nd round but he's not a corner, he's a SS

On a different issue, why do you think we used such a high pick on a safety ? At the very least, why did we not use a 2nd round pick on a RT and one of the third round pics on a safety ?

drs23 07-30-2013 02:07 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter (Post 2186741)
i really think hopkins is going to have a julio jones type impact. he's getting coaching from the best in the game in andre, joseph and ed reed. kubiak and schaub are going to get him a ton of targets. i'm betting we see a lot of gameplans aiming at hopkins early in the game to pull the defense away from andre and foster. if he's the hard worker and talent that's being reported, i dont think a big season is out of the question.

swearinger would be a close second for me. it sounds like he's going to get a ton of playing time and take over glover quin's role. as long as he wraps up and keeps his aggression focused, he could have a big impact.

Scooter saved me a lot of typing.

Thanks Scoot.

drs23 07-30-2013 02:12 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2186754)
On a different issue, why do you think we used such a high pick on a safety ? At the very least, why did we not use a 2nd round pick on a RT and one of the third round pics on a safety ?

Perhaps because the Dirty Birds had already pilfered Arthur Brown (at least in many fans eyes) and they knew Swearinger wouldn't be there in the third and they had already targeted Brennan Williams as the prospect they wanted at RT and were able to get him in the third.

There.

thunderkyss 07-30-2013 02:25 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
I'm voting for Quessenberry (sp??) Quiz..... I think he ends up starting at LG, owns, & goes to the pro bowl.

The Pencil Neck 07-30-2013 03:10 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2186754)
On a different issue, why do you think we used such a high pick on a safety ? At the very least, why did we not use a 2nd round pick on a RT and one of the third round pics on a safety ?

For years and years, many of us on this board have bitched and moaned about how bad our safeties are and how the FO never drafted a safety even though our safeties kept getting pantsed. THEN we convert Quin to Safety and bring over Manning and our defense gets better.

I think Smith just wanted to solidify that back-end for the foreseeable future.

Combine that with the following facts:
1. The coaches thought that Mitchell would be exactly what we needed at NT.
2. The coaches already had their eyes on some tackles that they were sure they could get later that could fill that RT role IF Newton wasn't ready... and I'm not convinced that the coaches haven't expected Newton to be ready in time for Game 1.

I think they expected to get EITHER Williams or Quessenberry. They wanted Williams more. And then Quessenberry dropped to a point where they couldn't ignore the value and they picked him up, too. If Williams had been drafted (which I think they expected), they would have taken Quessenberry with that pick.

3. I think the ILBs they had their eyes on were already gone.

So I think they would have gone ILB if the right guy had fallen, but the right guy didn't fall so they went to their backup option which was Safety.

infantrycak 07-30-2013 03:31 PM

Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2186754)
On a different issue, why do you think we used such a high pick on a safety ? At the very least, why did we not use a 2nd round pick on a RT and one of the third round pics on a safety ?

Crappy drafts are built on lining up needs and forcing them onto the available personnel.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger