Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   MMQB: Brian Cushing Wants To Hit Something (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101206)

Playoffs 07-29-2013 06:12 PM

MMQB: Brian Cushing Wants To Hit Something

Really good piece on Cush at the new MMQB site...

MMQB: Brian Cushing Wants To Hit Something

Quote:

But mostly he wants to bring a Super Bowl title to Houston—this season. “That’s my biggest goal, something I don’t really ever see myself being OK with not having,” Cushing says. “This is our time. There’s no looking in the future or in the past for this team. We have to win right now.”
Quote:

At DeFranco’s, a warehouse-style gym in Bergen County that doesn’t have air conditioning, Cushing followed the same summer workout regimen he’s done since turning pro.

The gym’s owner, Joe DeFranco, crafts nontraditional exercises that simulate what the body experiences on the football field. Cushing bench-pressed a 275-pound bar draped with about 90 pounds of chains, sharpening the acceleration needed to push off a block. (The weight increases and becomes more unwieldy as you lift, because the chains are no longer touching the floor.) After each round, Cushing leaped up energetically from the bench.

Later, Cushing completed a set of “chaos shrugs,” a lift in which he raises a bar with a pair of kettlebell weights tied on with resistance bands. His surgically repaired leg stood strong, bearing the 200 pounds of swaying without a flinch. He paused between exercises, mimicking a slugger taking a swing in the batter’s box. By the end of his workout, Cushing’s army-green dri-fit shirt was soaked completely through with sweat.

DeFranco likened Cushing to a “caged animal” and offered evidence: In recent weeks Cushing set a lifetime best with a 52-inch seated box jump, and he dragged a 750-pound sled for 30 yards (part of that weight came from onetime Texans teammate Connor Barwin). “He’s dangerous when you give him something else to prove,” DeFranco said.
Quote:

Cushing told Shannon that before he left Houston at the end of the team’s offseason program, the training staff put him through a battery of tests, such as one-legged broad jumps and jumps over cones, to check his strength and balance. Cushing’s surgically repaired left leg out-performed the right one each time, he said.
Quote:

Some of Cushing’s favorite NFL moments occur before games, when he sees opponents looking at him during warmups. He loves sensing their intimidation. And he’s ready to feel that again, for himself and for the Texans.

“Week 1, they’ll be looking at me, just knowing,” Cushing says of the Chargers, who host the Monday night opener.
read more: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/29/brian-...hit-something/
:logo:

infantrycak 07-29-2013 06:26 PM

Re: MMQB: Brian Cushing Wants To Hit Something

Quote:

Some of Cushing’s favorite NFL moments occur before games, when he sees opponents looking at him during warmups. He loves sensing their intimidation. And he’s ready to feel that again, for himself and for the Texans.

“Week 1, they’ll be looking at me, just knowing,” Cushing says of the Chargers, who host the Monday night opener.
He does pull off this opposite of AJ spectrum well. He comes across as intense but not a dick to other players. AJ just has this amble onto the field f@#k it, stop me attitude - talk slow, walk slow, let the play show (well unless Innegan is involved).

eriadoc 07-29-2013 07:09 PM

Well now I want to hit something. Damn, I can't wait for the season to start. Hell, I am even looking forward to the lame HOF game.

thunderkyss 07-29-2013 07:56 PM

amazing80 07-29-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2186502)

if i saw this coming at me id cry :jogger:

thunderkyss 07-29-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

His only option was to satisfy that appetite through rehab. Andrews repaired Cushing’s ACL 10 days after his wife, Megan, gave birth to Cayden. (Cushing’s father, Frank, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and one of the team doctors watched the knee procedure in the operating room.) Cushing says he began rehab about a week after surgery; was squatting within four months; and though he sat out the Texans’ minicamp in June, was doing change-of-direction drills in which he cut and ran toward flashing lights—as close to simulating football as you can get without hitting somebody.

To tell you the truth, I'm scared. I'm scared he started pushing it way too soon & he's not healed "properly"

JCTexan 07-29-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

“This is our time. There’s no looking in the future or in the past for this team. We have to win right now.”
That right there is sig worthy.

drs23 07-29-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2186509)
To tell you the truth, I'm scared. I'm scared he started pushing it way too soon & he's not healed "properly"

TK, Cush said: Don't be scaired. He's not.

Can't wait to see the CushMonster jackin' some folks up!

Cush is BACK!

Txn_in_Oki 07-29-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2186509)

He gets paid to push things. These guys will see more high dollar medical care than you can ever even imagine. Between the therapy, nutrition, supplements they are getting it absolutely ridiculous how fast athletes can recover.

If your sole focus in life is to train then you will improve much faster than your normal 9 to 5er.

revan 07-29-2013 11:33 PM

I will gladly volunteer for this.

Wife *"Why are you in the hospital?"*

Me *"Was playing football with The Cush and he put me here"*

jdjd 07-29-2013 11:46 PM

“I almost feel bad for the first couple of dozen guys you hit,” Brian Shannon, Cushing’s long-time chiropractor, told him in June.

Cushing didn’t laugh. It wasn’t a joke.

I love this.

Rey 07-29-2013 11:49 PM

Brian mother****ing Cushing.

76Texan 07-30-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2186502)

Somewhere, Gabbert is curling up in a fetal position, LOL!

DX-TEX 07-30-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 2186608)
Somewhere, Gabbert is curling up in a fetal position, LOL!

Whoa there mother****er!

TheMatrix31 07-30-2013 03:09 AM

I love Cush. ****ing animal. And he's an animal without playing dirty, which is the best part.

Hervoyel 07-30-2013 10:30 AM

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...leRedSmall.jpg

Playoffs 07-30-2013 10:51 AM

He's not right ..... in the head.

SAMURAITEXAN 07-30-2013 09:23 PM

You'd just got to love a player like Cush. Healthy Cush means everything to our D.

thunderkyss 07-30-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN (Post 2186923)
You'd just got to love a player like Cush. Healthy Cush means everything to our D.

Hopefully teams will remember how much Wade likes to send him after the QB. With Watt & Antonio doing what they do maybe it will make it easier for our edge rushers to cause havoc.

pissknocker 07-30-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DX-TEX (Post 2186610)
Whoa there mother****er!

everytime i see this i remember this video of it. its funny cause its has ukrainian commentators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDqlx5tgT5Q