Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Rumor: Texans to meet with Laurent Robinson (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101172)

ArlingtonTexan 07-27-2013 12:07 AM

Rumor: Texans to meet with Laurent Robinson

(Rotoworld) USA Today's Tom Pelissero "hears" the Texans could be the next team to host free agent WR Laurent Robinson. Analysis: Robinson visited the Lions, Jets, and Patriots this week. Detroit signed Chaz Schilens instead, while the Jets re-upped Braylon Edwards. In Houston, Robinson would vie for a job behind Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins.

Rey 07-27-2013 12:22 AM

Re: Rumor: Texans to meet with Laurent Robinson

Interesting.

htownfan32 07-27-2013 12:24 AM

I guess the FO wants to bring him in to push Keshawn Martin for the slot receiver job? Good proactive move if so.

Rey 07-27-2013 12:28 AM

Martin is going to need to take a big step forward. He sucked last season. I wouldn't be handing him any slot receiver duties.

At times last year, he looked pathetic out there trying to catch passes.

ObsiWan 07-27-2013 05:10 AM

Don't get this - if there's any truth to it - we have 8 WRs on the T/C roster now. And that doesn't include Posey. Don't see what Robinson brings to the table that we don't already have in one of these youngsters.

Someone enlighten me, please.

TejasTom 07-27-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2185590)
.... Don't see what Robinson brings to the table that we don't already have in one of these youngsters.

Concussions.

Goldensilence 07-27-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Don get this - if there's any truth to it - we have 8 WRs on the T/C roster now. And that doesn't include Posey. Don't see what Robinson brings to the table that we don't already have in one of these youngsters.

Experience. Last year at WR was disgraceful past AJ, no one was consistently stepping up and catching the ball. I don't foresee a big contract for Robinson or know if he'd make the team after pre season, but if they did sign him it'd show the FO is looking to further improve a woeful WR corps from last year.

ChampionTexan 07-27-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Don get this - if there's any truth to it - we have 8 WRs on the T/C roster now. And that doesn't include Posey. Don't see what Robinson brings to the table that we don't already have in one of these youngsters.

Actually, there's 10 on the roster at the moment, but if you add up all the NFL stats for the 9 not named Andre Johnson, you get 2 starts and 16 catches for 236 yards. I'm guessing they just want another WR in camp who's got some genuine NFL game-time experience. Also, he's only one year removed from catching 11 TD passes and having a pretty decent season for the Cowboys.

infantrycak 07-27-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampionTexan (Post 2185611)
Actually, there's 10 on the roster at the moment, but if you add up all the NFL stats for the 9 not named Andre Johnson, you get 2 starts and 16 catches for 236 yards.

Your point remains but 3 of them had 22 completions for 323 yds last season.

ChampionTexan 07-27-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2185625)
Your point remains but 3 of them had 22 completions for 323 yds last season.

I think you're including Posey in those #'s. ObsiWan excluded Posey in his question since he's on active PUP, and I excluded him in my response.

Playoffs 07-27-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Kicking tires.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TejasTom (Post 2185592)
Concussions.

Yep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2185580)
Martin is going to need to take a big step forward...

So far, so good. Keshawn has been getting rave reviews, including yesterday/this morning.

thunderkyss 07-27-2013 11:36 AM

Laurent Robinson has shown big play ability. Adding him to the mix can't hurt.

Andre, DeAndre, Devier, Martin

or

Andre, DeAndre, Laurent, Martin

or

Andre, DeAndre, Devier, Laurent

looks pretty good to me.

IBleedTexans 07-27-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2185652)

or

or

looks pretty good to me.

I could easily see this becoming one of our stronger units ala 2010 rb's.The texans seem to have some pretty good scouts out there. Pretty soon you'll be seeing our scouts becoming assistants for other organizations . The downfall of having a great staff at hand. :fans:

thunderkyss 07-27-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBleedTexans (Post 2185690)
I could easily see this becoming one of our stronger units ala 2010 rb's.The texans seem to have some pretty good scouts out there. Pretty soon you'll be seeing our scouts becoming assistants for other organizations . The downfall of having a great staff at hand. :fans:

That's still a long time coming. Houston still doesn't get respect out there. We're pretenders until proven otherwise.

Once we win that Championship though..... watch out.

steelbtexan 07-27-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2185652)

or

or

looks pretty good to me.

I could see Martin being the 5th WR/KR?PR guy.

Robinson brings 4 things not currently on the Texans roster. Experience/elite size/speed combo, concussions. The ability to score TD's better than any other WR opposite AJ since AJ joined the team.

Robinson isn't a WR1 but he's a very good WR2.

infantrycak 07-28-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2185785)
Robinson brings 4 things not currently on the Texans roster. Experience/elite size/speed combo, concussions. The ability to score TD's better than any other WR opposite AJ since AJ joined the team.

Robinson isn't a WR1 but he's a very good WR2.

I am just wondering how you are judging this. Since 2007:

Robinson - 2110 yds, 12.6 ypr, 15 TDs.
Walter - 3923 yds, 12.5 ypr, 24 TDs.

Robinson had 1 good season with 11 of his TD's coming in that season and then suffered multiple concussions.

TheDrifter 07-28-2013 12:47 AM

Do not want.

Wouldnt have even wanted him before the concussions. He had one good year and turned it into a payday with the Jaguars. Having watched him play before then, he was rarely more than mediocre. We'll be a better franchise if we dont emulate the Jags.

steelbtexan 07-28-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2185791)
I am just wondering how you are judging this. Since 2007:

Robinson - 2110 yds, 12.6 ypr, 15 TDs.
Walter - 3923 yds, 12.5 ypr, 24 TDs.

Robinson had 1 good season with 11 of his TD's coming in that season and then suffered multiple concussions.

He's been hurt (Various injuries) every yr besides his big yr with Dallas.

If healthy (Big if) Robinson is a big WR with speed to take the top off of a defense. The Texans have never had a guy like that opposite AJ. If healthy Robinson can open things up for AJ, Foster,OD.

thunderkyss 07-28-2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDrifter (Post 2185792)
Do not want.

Wouldnt have even wanted him before the concussions. He had one good year and turned it into a payday with the Jaguars. Having watched him play before then, he was rarely more than mediocre. We'll be a better franchise if we dont emulate the Jags.

Chances of Laurent Robinson getting a pay day from the Houston Texans = 0

Chances of Houston "emulating" the Jags = 0

If we sign Laurent someone in our FO would have to believe he can help the team more than Posey, Jean, Martin, Mahl (sp?), etc..... & he'd have to be league minimum cheap (we still don't have any money).

ObsiWan 07-28-2013 08:00 AM

Soooo any further developments/reports/better rumors regarding this guy?

Personally, I think if we're still "shopping", it ought to be for an ILB not a WR.