Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   JJ Watt can jump 5ft in the air (well, almost) (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101047)

Bert Orange 07-18-2013 03:55 PM

JJ Watt can jump 5ft in the air (well, almost)

Only 59.5" - weak sauce

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...005724563.html

The Pencil Neck 07-18-2013 04:12 PM

Re: JJ Watt can jump 5ft in the air (well, almost)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bert Orange (Post 2183056)

Yeah.

He's JAG.

htownfan32 07-18-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2183057)
Yeah.

He's JAG.

JJ who?

Just kidding. That was awesome.

Rey 07-18-2013 06:29 PM

I've tried the link on two different computers and my phone and it doesn't work.

What an I not getting.

Nvm. I just searched for it, but that link brings up a blank page for me.

The Pencil Neck 07-18-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2183129)
I've tried the link on two different computers and my phone and it doesn't work.

What an I not getting.

Nvm. I just searched for it, but that link brings up a blank page for me.

Try this.

I had to go to Yahoo to see it.

Quick II Draw 07-18-2013 06:31 PM

He posted a bad link

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Playoffs 07-18-2013 06:51 PM

Makes you glad you're not an opposing NFL QB. http://mydeathspace.com/vb/images/sm...s/SeeGhost.gif

HJam72 07-19-2013 08:10 AM

Makes me think of how far he can jump sideways, because that's what's often getting him sacks.

drs23 07-19-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2183130)
Try this.

I had to go to Yahoo to see it.

Thank you. That's just amazing!

drs23 07-19-2013 11:58 AM

We couldn't afford to keep Mario last year. Is there any way we'll be able to come up with the coin it'll take to keep JJ on board? I just can't see the Texans letting him get away but at what expense to the rest of the team?

Double Barrel 07-19-2013 12:05 PM

JJ will be like AJ: Texans for life!

dc_txtech 07-19-2013 12:43 PM

What's the difference between a standing and sitting vertical? I know Cush did a 52 inch "sitting vertical" and I know he was literally sitting down before he jumped but how much harder is one to do than the other? Do they serve different purposes as far as training goes?

Quick II Draw 07-19-2013 12:58 PM

It is incredibly unlikely that the Texans let jj walk. They'll probably get rid of guys like ninja, manning, tate, etc in the next few years to clear space for cush and watt. When schaub and/or andre are gone in the next five years, they'll finally have some cap to play with.

I could seriously see them cutting andre or schaub in two years to make room for watt if necessary.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The Pencil Neck 07-19-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_txtech (Post 2183345)
What's the difference between a standing and sitting vertical? I know Cush did a 52 inch "sitting vertical" and I know he was literally sitting down before he jumped but how much harder is one to do than the other? Do they serve different purposes as far as training goes?

A sitting vertical is harder than a standing vertical.

The sitting vertical is based on the concept of the "box squat" which is common in powerlifting training. With the box squat, you put the bar on your back, sit down on a box, pause, and then stand up. By sitting and pausing, you remove the spring effect from the elasticity of your muscles. In a regular squat, if you just go down and then come back up with the weight, there's extra kinetic energy stored in your muscles that you can use to get more explosiveness. It's like a rubber band thing. You stretch the muscle and it wants to snap back to its normal shape. But the longer you hold it, the less it wants to snap back.

So by going from a standing position, dropping down, and then exploding back up, JJ was able to use that stored kinetic energy. By sitting down and pausing, Cush dampened it and made the jump harder on himself.

DX-TEX 07-19-2013 02:12 PM

Are there really people who think Watt will not be a Texan for life? He is McNairs ideal player personified! Good kid, great with the community, stays out of trouble, loved by all and he can play some pretty damn good football.

dc_txtech 07-19-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2183375)
A sitting vertical is harder than a standing vertical.

The sitting vertical is based on the concept of the "box squat" which is common in powerlifting training. With the box squat, you put the bar on your back, sit down on a box, pause, and then stand up. By sitting and pausing, you remove the spring effect from the elasticity of your muscles. In a regular squat, if you just go down and then come back up with the weight, there's extra kinetic energy stored in your muscles that you can use to get more explosiveness. It's like a rubber band thing. You stretch the muscle and it wants to snap back to its normal shape. But the longer you hold it, the less it wants to snap back.

So by going from a standing position, dropping down, and then exploding back up, JJ was able to use that stored kinetic energy. By sitting down and pausing, Cush dampened it and made the jump harder on himself.

Thank you, I gotta spread it around though...

AngryNateFTW 07-19-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drs23 (Post 2183323)
We couldn't afford to keep Mario last year. Is there any way we'll be able to come up with the coin it'll take to keep JJ on board? I just can't see the Texans letting him get away but at what expense to the rest of the team?

He's in his 2nd year and he's the best defensive player in the NFL. There's no way you let him go. As much as it pains to say it but if I had to choose between Cushing and Watt, i'd pick Watt.

But Cushing is a freak and I hope we keep both.

BullBlitz 07-19-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW (Post 2183454)
He's in his 2nd year and he's the best defensive player in the NFL. There's no way you let him go. As much as it pains to say it but if I had to choose between Cushing and Watt, i'd pick Watt.

But Cushing is a freak and I hope we keep both.

Let's hope we don't have to choose. We also have KJ's contract coming up soon.

EllisUnit 07-19-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullBlitz (Post 2183456)
Let's hope we don't have to choose. We also have KJ's contract coming up soon.

I'd prefer you not say we.....

Playoffs 07-26-2013 05:34 PM

http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-co...yZORo1y32j.gif

Quote:

J.J. Watt put on a monstrous performance in 2012. If you happen to be a critic claiming there is no chance he can duplicate his dominance, please don't tell Mr. Watt.

"Why not? Why not? Don't sit here and tell me what I can and can't do," Watt said Thursday.

Not only does the Houston Texans defensive lineman plan to replicate his 20.5-sack season, he plans to enhance his performance in 2013.

"I'm going to be better," he said. "Just watch."

When asked about how he will respond when teams scheme for him with double and triple teams this season -- as if they didn't last year -- Watt dismissed the idea as folly.

"If you want to focus all your attention on me, a) it's not guaranteed to work and b) you have to worry about the 10 other guys on the field with me," he said. "And I'm very fortunate to have 10 great other players on the field with me. I'm also not going to give up just because I've got three or four guys on me. I'm going to get that sack."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ans-just-watch