Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101001)

the wonger need food 07-15-2013 05:55 PM

Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...-qb-countdown/


Not sure what Jaws is looking at, but there it is for your discussion...

klockWork 07-15-2013 06:54 PM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Remember folks, this is about ranking not wanting. So let's not throw monkey's feces into the fan just yet. For me the only QB I would not want over Schaub are Sanchez and Ponder. But I have no problem where Jaws rank Schaub on the list.

Texn4life 07-15-2013 07:15 PM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Jaws has been smoking some good stuff. Stop hanging with Snoop man.

Seriously though he made an interesting case, but its hard to agree with him after seeing him those last 6 games. Hope he proves everyone wrong.

thunderkyss 07-15-2013 07:30 PM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the wonger need food (Post 2181960)
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...-qb-countdown/


Not sure what Jaws is looking at, but there it is for your discussion...

He pretty much laid it all out there. His words are true & hard to argue, imo..
Quote:

I like Schaub, maybe more than others. Did he struggle at times down the stretch? He did. But overall, hes a very solid quarterback whos shown the consistent ability to execute a well-structured and efficient offense. That puts him in my top 10.
Not saying that I would rank Schaub at 9 (I haven't looked at all the QBs in depth, but of the ones he's got ranked behind Schaub, there are only a couple I might put ahead of him. Schaub's only deficit, again imo, is that he doesn't "take over the game" when it's time for him to take over. Whether that's because he can't or won't I don't know. It's very hard to quantify & when we see these kids running around making plays out their butts we think that's it, but it's not....... it's close.

Most people probably won't agree with me, but so far, Luck is just a younger Tony Romo. In the next few years, we'll see which way he goes, he could be the next Tom Brady, or the next Tony Romo. 10 is way too high for Luck.

Henne is "much" better than Sanchez, Ponder, & Weeden.

RG3 & Wilson are the two I question being behind Schaub. Those guys...... high QB ratings, plenty of yards, keep the chains moving... good - great accuracy... the only thing Schaub has on them is years.

Kaepernick is another one, but I'd like to see him over a full season before I rank him above Schaub.. pretty close but he had less than half the attempts as the other guys.

EllisUnit 07-15-2013 07:32 PM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
I call Bull*******, yes you heard me Bull*******

Thorn 07-15-2013 07:46 PM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
meh....I think we all realize Schaub is a better than average QB. It's how MUCH better than average we argue over.

ObsiWan 07-15-2013 07:52 PM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2181990)
He pretty much laid it all out there. His words are true & hard to argue, imo..

RG3 & Wilson are the two I question being behind Schaub. Those guys...... high QB ratings, plenty of yards, keep the chains moving... good - great accuracy... the only thing Schaub has on them is years.

Kaepernick is another one, but I'd like to see him over a full season before I rank him above Schaub.. pretty close but he had less than half the attempts as the other guys.

This is Jaws remember. He's still a big time proponent of old-school pocket passers. Schaub is definitely one of those.

AND, as he specifically said, it's also about the body of work. Year-in and year-out, Schaub has put up the numbers to be in the top ten.

But he's still got a ways to go before he cracks the top five.

Texan_Bill 07-15-2013 07:54 PM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
I like Schaub, I really do... That said, I would have him at around 12th/13th at best.

I generally like "Jaws'" takes, but let's remember he was an average (at best) QB himself. Yes, he lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl, but lost to Jim Plunkett and the Oakland Raiders.

Brisco_County 07-15-2013 09:36 PM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Unless a QB wins a championship within the past year or two, a fan's opinion of that QB's value or rank depends squarely on what he has done lately. In the offseason, fans will rely on the second half of the season and post-season for their evaluation.

But a sports analyst will more likely consider the big picture, which is why Jaws prefaces his evaluation of Schaub with: "My normal inclination is to look at a large body of work over a long period of time."

Big picture, it seems that Schaub has the potential to be championship worthy. But in latter 2012, he seemed indecisive and rattled. My conclusion is to take the big picture evaluation for now, because I believe he was not fully recovered in 2012 from the lisfranc injury. But if he does not come out early in 2013 and prove that he's over it, then the rattled, 2012 version of Schaub will be the final phase of his legacy in Houston.

Mr teX 07-15-2013 09:49 PM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisco_County (Post 2182039)
Unless a QB wins a championship within the past year or two, a fan's opinion of that QB's value or rank depends squarely on what he has done lately. In the offseason, fans will rely on the second half of the season and post-season for their evaluation.

But a sports analyst will more likely consider the big picture, which is why Jaws prefaces his evaluation of Schaub with: "My normal inclination is to look at a large body of work over a long period of time."

Big picture, it seems that Schaub has the potential to be championship worthy. But in latter 2012, he seemed indecisive and rattled. My conclusion is to take the big picture evaluation for now, because I believe he was not fully recovered in 2012 from the lisfranc injury. But if he does not come out early in 2013 and prove that he's over it, then the rattled, 2012 version of Schaub will be the final phase of his legacy in Houston.

Ehh, people forget that the team as a whole didnt play well in those last 6 games....it wasnt just schaub. And imo, at least some of that contributed to schaub's bad individual play the latter part of the season.

Dont know if i'd put schaub at 9...but he's not any lower than 11 imo.

76Texan 07-15-2013 10:16 PM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2181999)
I like Schaub, I really do... That said, I would have him at around 12th/13th at best.

I generally like "Jaws'" takes, but let's remember he was an average (at best) QB himself. Yes, he lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl, but lost to Jim Plunkett and the Oakland Raiders.

Haha Bill,

It was just a few days ago that you said...

Never mind.:swatter:

Clamp 07-16-2013 01:56 AM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill (Post 2181999)
I like Schaub, I really do... That said, I would have him at around 12th/13th at best.

I generally like "Jaws'" takes, but let's remember he was an average (at best) QB himself. Yes, he lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl, but lost to Jim Plunkett and the Oakland Raiders.

You can be average at doing something, but have the knowledge and insight to coach or analyze well. Plenty of average or even bad players have gone on to become very good coaches and anylists....though there are just as many who suck at both of those things too lol.

HOW DOES MERRILL HODGE STILL HAVE A JOB??

ObsiWan 07-16-2013 03:16 AM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clamp (Post 2182088)
You can be average at doing something, but have the knowledge and insight to coach or analyze well. Plenty of average or even bad players have gone on to become very good coaches and anylists....though there are just as many who suck at both of those things too lol.

HOW DOES MERRILL HODGE STILL HAVE A JOB??

Some questions are just flat unanswerable...

What happens to the matter that disappears down a black hole?
How the hell does gravity really work?
Where do all those missing socks end up and do they contribute to "dark matter"?
Where are the flying cars like George Jetson had? (I want mine dammit)
Why is First Take still on the air?
Why does Merrill Hodge still have a job?

Goatcheese 07-16-2013 06:13 AM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
I would rank Schaub 11-13th based on last year alone. If he comes back fully healthy, fit and mentally strong like he was in 2011, he's top 6-8.

I don't think he was struggling too much with hidden injuries the way some people do, but his confidence and decisiveness were not in the same place they were before his injury, especially after getting beat up early in the season and (IMO) losing confidence in his line.

Worth noting, even during a down year in 2012, Schaub had the highest ESPN Total QBR in the NFL on throws between 10-19 yards.

thunderkyss 07-16-2013 07:47 AM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2181998)
AND, as he specifically said, it's also about the body of work. Year-in and year-out, Schaub has put up the numbers to be in the top ten.

But he's still got a ways to go before he cracks the top five.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisco_County (Post 2182039)
Big picture, it seems that Schaub has the potential to be championship worthy. But in latter 2012, he seemed indecisive and rattled.

I think the only thing missing, is that "clutch" gene. That ability to "take over" the game.

In our final game of the season, when Danieal Manning got us into the redzone on the opening kick-off, that said a lot to me.

The first pass to Casey (easy Obsi) was on the money, should have been caught. I've seen Peyton make that type of throw, end up incomplete, the receiver knows it was his fault. He comes back to the huddle seemingly saying, "That was me, I screwed up." & Peyton would say, "Don't worry about it, we'll make up for it on this one." & the next play they'd get their TD.

More often than not, when we are in that situation, we didn't make up for it. Not in 2012, not in those games against the Packers & Patriots.

I know we put too much of the blame on the QB, but (I think) had Schaub correctly identified the LB in zone taking away the OD slant he could have located Andre earlier in his route & got him in the back of the end zone.

It sucks, & I am "faulting" Schaub for that one, but I'm not as down on him as some folks. I've got confidence that he will grow from what happened in 2012 & we're going to see Schaub emerge as a bonafide star in 2013.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr teX (Post 2182043)
Ehh, people forget that the team as a whole didnt play well in those last 6 games....it wasnt just schaub. And imo, at least some of that contributed to schaub's bad individual play the latter part of the season.

Dont know if i'd put schaub at 9...but he's not any lower than 11 imo.

In all honesty, I consider this Kubiak's best year as a HC & game manager, because we've been complaining about this team & the product they put on the field from week 1. They got booed at home week 1.

Look through the game day threads & it's hard to believe we went 12-4 playing some of the best teams in the NFL. Baltimore, Denver, Chicago, Green Bay, New England.......

Pretty impressive when you consider we struggled with the OL, running game, & were short handed at WR, RB, & TE at various points through the season.

steelbtexan 07-16-2013 08:27 AM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Really, did Schaub watch the last 5-6 games of the season

If weak armed, immobile QB's with late season accuracy problems do to a chronic foot problem is your thing, then Schaub is your guy Jaws.

Playoffs 07-16-2013 08:53 AM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 2182090)
Some questions are just flat unanswerable...

What happens to the matter that disappears down a black hole?
How the hell does gravity really work?
Where do all those missing socks end up and do they contribute to "dark matter"?
Where are the flying cars like George Jetson had? (I want mine dammit)
Why is First Take still on the air?
Why does Merrill Hodge still have a job?

These are questions that will vex mankind for years to come. Well posed, ObsiWanson. :bravo:

thunderkyss 07-16-2013 09:04 AM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 2182117)
Really, did Schaub watch the last 5-6 games of the season

If weak armed, immobile QB's with late season accuracy problems do to a chronic foot problem is your thing, then Schaub is your guy Jaws.

I think we're blaming Schaub for a lot of things that was not his fault. Expecting him to do things he can not. I also think Kubiak has proven that he can do quite a bit with Schaub. As far as "late season accuracy problems" I'd need more than this past season as evidence of such. As it is, putting the football in James Casey's face mask does not point to an accuracy issue.

There was a thread before our Divisional play-off game vs the Patriots, where the consensus (more or less) agreed for us to win that game, the Defense was going to have to step it up & show up. The running game was going to have to step it up & show up. Foster was going to have to have his best game of the season, the OL was going to have to dominate the LOS & Schaub was going to have to step it up & show up.

None of that happened, but we're focused on Schaub's failure..... doesn't make sense to me.

steelbtexan 07-16-2013 09:15 AM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2182127)
I think we're blaming Schaub for a lot of things that was not his fault. Expecting him to do things he can not. I also think Kubiak has proven that he can do quite a bit with Schaub. As far as "late season accuracy problems" I'd need more than this past season as evidence of such. As it is, putting the football in James Casey's face mask does not point to an accuracy issue.

There was a thread before our Divisional play-off game vs the Patriots, where the consensus (more or less) agreed for us to win that game, the Defense was going to have to step it up & show up. The running game was going to have to step it up & show up. Foster was going to have to have his best game of the season, the OL was going to have to dominate the LOS & Schaub was going to have to step it up & show up.

None of that happened, but we're focused on Schaub's failure..... doesn't make sense to me.

Things a top 9 rated QB shuld be able to do?

True the defense needed to step up and help cover Schaub's weaknesses. They did this against the Bengals, against a great offense ike the Pats the defense needed Schaub and co to step up and help get them off of the field so they could get some rest. This didn't happen. (Not saying the defense was blameless)

If you watched the offense the last 6 games of the season and still think Gary is some kind of offensive guru and Schaub is a top 9 QB, then we will have to agree to disagree.

Goatcheese 07-16-2013 09:45 AM

Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB
 
Schaub didn't need the defense to cover up anything. He needed them to not embarrass themselves. The offense put up 28 points which was all the Ravens needed to put the Pats away. Why? Because the Ravens' defense showed up and held Tom Lady to 13.

The vaunted Texans D got rolled over, punked and shamed by the same team twice in one season. They are 100% to blame for that loss.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger