Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   McCain proposes end to NFL blackout rule (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100978)

gwallaia 07-13-2013 05:49 PM

McCain proposes end to NFL blackout rule
 
“Now, if that stadium is not taxpayer-financed, then that owner can do anything they want to. But if the taxpayers paid for them then, by God, I think the taxpayers ought to be able to see the game whether they sell out the stadium or not," “McCain testified during a May 14 Senate subcommittee hearing, according to the St. Paul Pioneer-Press.


Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2Yy7Jlbbm

Thorn 07-13-2013 05:57 PM

Re: McCain proposes end to NFL blackout rule
 
I agree with his point. Maybe instead of passing more laws restricting our freedom they would pass this instead?

I don't think this will ever see the light of day anyway.

jaayteetx 07-13-2013 06:02 PM

Re: McCain proposes end to NFL blackout rule
 
Ok, how about a compromise, something like if the taxpayers funded 40% of the stadium then at least 60% of the tickets need to be sold to lift the blackout.

Playoffs 07-13-2013 06:03 PM

Re: McCain proposes end to NFL blackout rule
 
http://forums.boxoffice.com/public/s...iphiphoray.gif

Hookem Horns 07-14-2013 08:15 AM

Re: McCain proposes end to NFL blackout rule
 
The biggest joke is here in Tampa. That stadium was 100% built by the local taxpayers and the Bucs are in there rent free.

The economy got real bad here and fans couldn't afford NFL tickets as in the past. So for the last few seasons the team is getting blacked out locally which many are saying actually hurts ticket sales because many stop following the team because they can't see them on TV.

In this case where the fans built the stadium and the team is playing in there rent free there should be no black outs.

IDEXAN 07-14-2013 08:26 AM

Re: McCain proposes end to NFL blackout rule
 
Sounds like the Cardinals have attendance issues to me ?

thunderkyss 07-14-2013 12:46 PM

Re: McCain proposes end to NFL blackout rule
 
Good thing we don't have to worry about it, being that the Texans always sell out.

If I lived in Tampa or Jacksonville, I might be upset, but they're playing like crap anyway. Don't want to spend my money to go see them in person. If I were to watch them on TV it would be during the commercial of the good game.

If I were the owner of the Jags or another such team, I'm doing whatever it takes to get people in the door. Cheap beer before kick-off, $1 pretzels, risque half time shows with wardrobe malfunctions & everything.

Hookem Horns 07-14-2013 12:57 PM

Re: McCain proposes end to NFL blackout rule
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2181514)
Good thing we don't have to worry about it, being that the Texans always sell out.

If I lived in Tampa or Jacksonville, I might be upset, but they're playing like crap anyway. Don't want to spend my money to go see them in person. If I were to watch them on TV it would be during the commercial of the good game.
If I were the owner of the Jags or another such team, I'm doing whatever it takes to get people in the door. Cheap beer before kick-off, $1 pretzels, risque half time shows with wardrobe malfunctions & everything.

You weren't going to Texans games and only watching them on TV during commercial breaks when they were horrible?

pirbroke 07-14-2013 04:16 PM

McCain has a great point, can we apply this same argument to who has the rights to show games for Astros and Rockets please .

thunderkyss 07-14-2013 04:27 PM

Re: McCain proposes end to NFL blackout rule
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem Horns (Post 2181517)
You weren't going to Texans games and only watching them on TV during commercial breaks when they were horrible?

I'm not going to lie, I'm as fair weather as they come. First two years I watched every game start to finish. I think I joined the original board in 2004 (Maybe '05 like my info says). I had high hopes for the team, but started to become disillusioned in year 3. I hadn't gone to see an actual game at that time, instead I'd watch the good game & check on the Texans game every now & then..... keep in mind we (my family) were all young back then. We'd have a watch party every week. There would be Cowboy fans, 49er fans, Saints fans, Patriot Fans, even a Steeler fan & we'd watch together.

It's kinda hard to convince everyone to watch the Texans at that time.

I bought my season tickets in 2006 when they fired Capers... & they hired Kubiak. Since then, I don't think the team has been horrible. Parts of the team has been horrible.

When we start to suck again, I've got no idea what I'll do. I don't know if I can be like some of you, or like the Bills, Lions, Oakland, 49ers (until recently) fans who stuck around for a decade of bad football.... in the last few years I've stayed until the clock read zero, though many of us left well before that. I don't know that I could do that for 10 years.

Hookem Horns 07-15-2013 12:10 AM

Re: McCain proposes end to NFL blackout rule
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2181575)
I'm not going to lie, I'm as fair weather as they come. First two years I watched every game start to finish. I think I joined the original board in 2004 (Maybe '05 like my info says). I had high hopes for the team, but started to become disillusioned in year 3. I hadn't gone to see an actual game at that time, instead I'd watch the good game & check on the Texans game every now & then..... keep in mind we (my family) were all young back then. We'd have a watch party every week. There would be Cowboy fans, 49er fans, Saints fans, Patriot Fans, even a Steeler fan & we'd watch together.

It's kinda hard to convince everyone to watch the Texans at that time.

I bought my season tickets in 2006 when they fired Capers... & they hired Kubiak. Since then, I don't think the team has been horrible. Parts of the team has been horrible.

When we start to suck again, I've got no idea what I'll do. I don't know if I can be like some of you, or like the Bills, Lions, Oakland, 49ers (until recently) fans who stuck around for a decade of bad football.... in the last few years I've stayed until the clock read zero, though many of us left well before that. I don't know that I could do that for 10 years.

Appreciate the honestly and you are probably in the majority. The Texans were very tough to follow for a long time. The low point for me personally was when the Texans were so bad that they started showing Titans games in Austin because of Vince Young.

Personally I don't think the Texans will ever have to worry about blackouts. The game day experience is too good there because of the tailgating. That's what the Oilers were lacking.

As for the Florida teams, I have been here one full season now. Believe it or not Jax on paper has better attendance than both the Bucs and Dolphins.

However I went to the Texans game in Jax last season and the stadium looked very empty. When I have seen Jax games on TV I see a lot of empty seats. I am not sure if their ownership are buying up tickets or not.

I went to 3 Bucs games last season and 2 out of 3 of those were blacked out. However inside the stadium it seemed pretty full for all 3. I did hear they tend to sell a lot of tickets on gameday and if there were no 72 hour rule some of those would not have been blacked out.

I understand the Bucs used to consistently sell out, however the word around here is the Glaziers started neglecting the team due to their other venture Manchester United. So for a few seasons they weren't putting any money into the on field product. That plus the high unemployment rate in the area has caused attendance to plummet. I think that gave them a wake up call since they started sinking money back into the team last season with some good signings, and this season landing Goldston and Revis. They have also lowered ticket prices and agreed to that new 85% blackout rule. We'll see if that brings people back.

As for the Dolphins, I am too far away to know why the fans aren't showing up down there. However it's a little surprising because they are like the Cowboys in this state. Judging by cars and people wearing their gear it appears they have a pretty strong following all over the state.

TexanSam 07-15-2013 09:56 AM

Re: McCain proposes end to NFL blackout rule
 
Almost all NFL teams sell 90%+ of their tickets. It's BS that blackouts exist if a game is not blacked out.

Double Barrel 07-15-2013 10:39 AM

Re: McCain proposes end to NFL blackout rule
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gwallaia (Post 2181356)
“Now, if that stadium is not taxpayer-financed, then that owner can do anything they want to. But if the taxpayers paid for them then, by God, I think the taxpayers ought to be able to see the game whether they sell out the stadium or not," “McCain testified during a May 14 Senate subcommittee hearing, according to the St. Paul Pioneer-Press.

I agree 100%. Make it happen, McCain.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger