Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Are the 2013 Titans a play-off team? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100905)

thunderkyss 07-07-2013 02:04 PM

Are the 2013 Titans a play-off team?

Playoff transformation realistic?
Quote:

The Titans will open the 2013 season with what appears to be a far more talented roster than last year, thanks to an extremely aggressive approach to free agency and a new crop of draft picks.

But just how realistic is it to expect a 6-10 team – which is what the Titans were last year – to become a playoff squad the following season?

Well, here’s what recent history reveals: In the five-year span from 2007 through 2011, a total of 12 teams finished with 6-10 records. Of those 12 teams, four (33 percent) made the playoffs the following year.

It didn’t happen at all last year, but did occur three times as recently as two seasons ago, when Houston went from 6-10 in 2010 to 10-6 and the playoffs in 2011; Detroit went from 6-10 in 2010 to 10-6 and the playoffs in 2011; and San Francisco went from 6-10 in 2010 to 13-3 and the playoffs in 2011.

thunderkyss 07-07-2013 02:15 PM

Re: Are the 2013 Titans a play-off team?

Seems like we aren't the only ones dealing with offseason injuries that aren't going as well as we'd hope.
Quote:

Missed opportunity
Justin Hunter made it to the field for the final day of minicamp, but not before the rookie from Tennessee missed most of the offseason work with a hamstring injury. The absence frustrated Hunter, his position coach and the Titans, although most everyone seemed willing to chalk it up to bad luck. The Titans expect the second-round pick to be ready for the start of training camp, when we’ll find out just how much the missed practice time hurt him.

So much for chemistry
After a season of constant change on the offensive line because of injuries, the offseason didn’t exactly pan out as the Titans hoped. Veteran tackles Michael Roos and David Stewart and big-money free-agent guard Andy Levitre missed all the team drills because of lingering injuries. The revamped unit needed to develop chemistry with rookie guard Chance Warmack, but there’s still a lot of work to be done.

jaayteetx 07-07-2013 04:16 PM

No...next question?

TheDrifter 07-07-2013 05:04 PM

I dont see it.

Playoffs 07-07-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaayteetx (Post 2179764)
No...next question?

^This.

thunderkyss 07-07-2013 07:44 PM

Is this just hate talking?

Ten pit
Ten hou
SD ten 1
NYJ ten 2
KC ten 3
Ten Sea
Sf ten
bye
ten stl 4
jac ten 5
ind ten 6
ten oak 7
ten ind 8

ten den
ari ten 9
ten jac 10
hou ten

If they sweep the jags & the colts, then win the games against the other teams that aren't expected to do much.... that's 10 wins & a possible wildcard. Beating Pittsburg isn't out of the question, neither is beating us or the Broncos, or Seattle.

Stemp 07-07-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2179825)

Ten pit
Ten hou
SD ten 1
NYJ ten 2
KC ten 3
Ten Sea
Sf ten
bye
ten stl 4
jac ten 5
ind ten 6
ten oak 7
ten ind 8

ten den
ari ten 9
ten jac 10
hou ten

If they sweep the jags & the colts, then win the games against the other teams that aren't expected to do much.... that's 10 wins & a possible wildcard. Beating Pittsburg isn't out of the question, neither is beating us or the Broncos, or Seattle.

I think the tacks drop both games to the colts. While the indy did lose some, they are still pretty formidable with Luck. I also think SD beats them.

Ten pit
Ten hou
SD ten
NYJ ten 1
KC ten 2
Ten Sea
Sf ten
bye
ten stl 3
jac ten 4

ind ten
ten oak 5
ten ind
ten den
ari ten 6
ten jac 7
hou ten

thunderkyss 07-07-2013 08:05 PM

Remember, they've got a QB killah on their team now.

TheDrifter 07-07-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2179825)

No.

Your 10 win scenario gives them every game they should win, the iffy games and at least one they shouldnt probably win (@ Ind).

They were 1-5 in the division last year, so even penciling in a sweep of the Jags is super premature.

And they beat zero teams with a winning record last year...

IDEXAN 07-08-2013 06:30 AM

Titans Draft one of the best guards coming out of college in years and sign one of the best free agents at guard in years, so what's the sack number for JJ in Titan games this year ?

thunderkyss 07-08-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDrifter (Post 2179859)
No.

Your 10 win scenario gives them every game they should win, the iffy games and at least one they shouldnt probably win (@ Ind).

They were 1-5 in the division last year, so even penciling in a sweep of the Jags is super premature.

And they beat zero teams with a winning record last year...

My point was that their schedule is full of teams that had as many problems as they did. They might not sweep the Colts & Jags, I know. But everybody "win some they shouldn't, lose some they shouldn't".

They beat the Steelers last year, they can probably beat them again this year. We're not unbeatable, they might beat us. Seattle didn't win 16 games last season, they might beat them.

I don't know that the Titans are a play off team. Just trying to spark some football conversation. I appreciate your post, but I'm not saying "my scenario" will play out exactly like that.

ChampionTexan 07-08-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2179908)
My point was that their schedule is full of teams that had as many problems as they did. They might not sweep the Colts & Jags, I know. But everybody "win some they shouldn't, lose some they shouldn't".

You're posts in this thread pretty much assume the bolded is only 1/2 true.

Beer and Metal 07-09-2013 10:48 AM

Of course they are. I bet their playing will be off all season.

drs23 07-09-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer and Metal (Post 2180181)
Of course they are. I bet their playing will be off all season.

Now that was funny right there. :D

Texecutioner 07-10-2013 07:21 PM

You really never know, but I see a very slim chance that they would be a breakout team next year.

thunderkyss 07-10-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 2180590)
You really never know, but I see a very slim chance that they would be a breakout team next year.

Even if they make it to the play-offs, I wouldn't consider them a break out team (Bengals, one & done two years running). They've got a bunch of chumps on their schedule & even though they're chumps themselves, if they've improved just a little compared to the other chumps, they could win 10 games.

Heck, if they can stay focused for 60 minutes they could win 10 games.

I'm not rooting for them to be a play-off team, or for them to win 1 game, much less 10. It was an article I saw out in cyber-space & thought it would be nice to talk about.

I know it's the tits & I hate them, but it's hard for me to watch Munchak fail. He deserves better than that & this may very well be his last shot.

HJam72 07-11-2013 08:00 AM

As long as Bud Adams owns them my answer is no.

HJam72 07-11-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasCowboy (Post 2180723)
You act as if the guy is Jerruh or Al Davis, he deserves more credit and respect than that

Those guys/teams have won SBs. Besides, I was half joking regarding his chances of winning.

Far as respect goes, though, I can't respect an owner that shoots the bird(s) at fans of the sport in their seats. Nor do I like it when he drafts a player (VY) who his HC doesn't want primarily in an effort to stick it to my favorite team. I will leave the politics and money issues of whether he was an @$$hat for leaving with the Oilers alone, but he's just generally someone I don't see as deserving respect. If I was older, I'd probably resent his firing of Phillips too, but I wasn't really an Oilers fan yet at the time.