Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   What are realistic projections for DeAndre Hopkins? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100724)

Texans_Chick 06-20-2013 12:07 PM

What are realistic projections for DeAndre Hopkins?

Don't answer the question. Because I'm not sure.

But I do frame the question with a lot of contextual, perspective stuff which is what a lot of my blog posts do. Maybe a few things that will surprise.

What are realistic projections for Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins?

thunderkyss 06-20-2013 12:40 PM

Re: What are realistic projections for DeAndre Hopkins?

Good read.

I think most people are going to be disappointed by he receptions & yards. His true value, imo, will come off his avg & his touchdown. We need someone to stretch the field & score TDs. That's what will free up Andre & the gang.

Corrosion 06-20-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2174917)
Good read.

I think most people are going to be disappointed by he receptions & yards. His true value, imo, will come off his avg & his touchdown. We need someone to stretch the field & score TDs. That's what will free up Andre & the gang.

Im not going to read the article - I refuse to click for the Crapical .... Sorry TC.

As for being disappointed , that's a possibility but I think many may end up surprised by the numbers he puts up. He played against some tough defenses in LSU (13/191 yards & 2 TD's) , Auburn (13/91 & 1 TD).
He also had some of his best moments when it mattered most ....

What I think might disappoint people is the average as while he has long speed and will get some YAC , he's a possession type receiver when all is said and done.

I'll be happy with 60 catches and an average around 12.

beerlover 06-20-2013 01:13 PM

Numbers are misleading if that is how you choose to measure #2 WR in Kubiak system. Traditional blocking possession receiver who is 3rd/4th option. However if #1 goes out for any extended period all bets are off. DeAndre could really fill the void & that is something Texans have never had. IMO

IDEXAN 06-20-2013 01:14 PM

Thorough job of analyzing our top pick T_C.
Now my biggest question is did the Texans make the right decision in going with
the very competent Hopkins with the promise of more near-term productive ability vs the potential of a genuine burner like either one of the Tennessee WR prospects, Patterson or Hunter ? And I like Hopkins' hands, but just wonder if the offense wouldn't have been better served with one of the speed guys who unlike Hopkins could definitely have stretched the field ?

eriadoc 06-20-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Good read.

I don't know about you, but if he starts catching a bunch of TDs, that's just going to make me consider AJ's lack of TD production in a different light.

thunderkyss 06-20-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 2174936)
I don't know about you, but if he starts catching a bunch of TDs, that's just going to make me consider AJ's lack of TD production in a different light.

Depends. If Andre has a good TD year I'd be convinced it wasn't an "Andre" problem, but more of a "who else are you going to guard" problem.

Rey 06-20-2013 01:51 PM

I'm expecting around 750 yards for Hopkins. I have no TD expectations.

Ryan 06-20-2013 01:54 PM

i said around 55 catches and 760 yards with around 4 TDs after he was drafted.

Playoffs 06-20-2013 02:30 PM

Julio Jones had 54 receptions on 96 targets for 959 yards and 8 TDs in his rookie year. Hopkins won't touch that, imo.

Walter had 68 targets in 2012.

Corrosion 06-20-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playoffs (Post 2174961)
Julio Jones had 54 receptions on 96 targets for 959 yards and 8 TDs in his rookie year. Hopkins won't touch that, imo.

Walter had 68 targets in 2012.

Two totally different offenses ....and Jones didn't have #80 opposite him. Its very possible Hopkins ends up with 60 catches.

badboy 06-20-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 2174928)
Numbers are misleading if that is how you choose to measure #2 WR in Kubiak system. Traditional blocking possession receiver who is 3rd/4th option. However if #1 goes out for any extended period all bets are off. DeAndre could really fill the void & that is something Texans have never had. IMO

Again very astute comment my Amigo! Fans should not overlook that if AJ goes out Hopkins should be able to fill in. As you point out Texans have never had that. Hopkins was one of a very few in this draft that were #1 potentials. That insurance is great to have.

Side note, check out my thread about Outlaw Shootout in Entertainment forum. Mario Williams will have his boat here.

Texans_Chick 06-20-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2174922)
Im not going to read the article - I refuse to click for the Crapical .... Sorry TC.

You know how you encourage good articles? You click on good articles. That encourages the powers that be that quality content is worth hosting.

That anyone clicks on my articles at the Chronicle is the reason why I can go to camp and write things that are details fans care about.

If my articles do not get page views, then at some point the blog will go away. The NYTs has eliminated many of their sports blogs, and probably wouldn't had they got more page hits.

Clicking on analysis pieces gets more analysis pieces. If you don't, then the slideshow and crap content wins.

Texans_Chick 06-20-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEXAN (Post 2174929)
Thorough job of analyzing our top pick T_C.
Now my biggest question is did the Texans make the right decision in going with
the very competent Hopkins with the promise of more near-term productive ability vs the potential of a genuine burner like either one of the Tennessee WR prospects, Patterson or Hunter ? And I like Hopkins' hands, but just wonder if the offense wouldn't have been better served with one of the speed guys who unlike Hopkins could definitely have stretched the field ?

I think Hopkins has the potential to blow the top off the offense.

I've watched him run into an extra gear. He is very, very aggressive once in the ball is in the air. Hard to knock off his stride, catches the ball even with interference.

So no, he's not a 40 time guy, but neither was Jerry Rice. You aren't going to be a great GM if you go after slowish guys from small schools on a regular basis. But you go after special guys.

I think Hopkins has the potential to be a special player. I see the physical tools-- just about learning the offense.

Texans_Chick 06-20-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Good read.

I hope we are *disappointed* in receptions/yards/TDs even.

That likely means that the defense is wrecking shop and the running game works the way it does best.

Let fantasy football peoples be concerned with numbers.

I think the point isn't just stretching the field, it is in general, making teams pay if they key too much on Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, etc.

Another reliable option means in any one play, you can kill the defense if they overplay anyone. If Hopkins learns up the offense, and Andre Johnson stays healthy, Hopkins will be able to abuse defenses.

But there will be up and downs--mistakes by wide receivers tend to be glaring and bad timing and can be devastating if it results in an interception.

thunderkyss 06-20-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 2174991)
Again very astute comment my Amigo! Fans should not overlook that if AJ goes out Hopkins should be able to fill in.

As a rookie? I'd be very impressed.

Now if Andre were to go down later in the year & Posey is back, or if LeStar had a great year, then maybe... maybe. But if we're talking about no Andre in week 5 & we go out there with DeAndre, LeStar, KMart...... @ SanFrancisco??

I'm not holding my breath.

Playoffs 06-20-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrosion (Post 2174974)
Two totally different offenses ....and Jones didn't have #80 opposite him...

The guy next to Jones was 2nd in receptions with 100 that year.

Jone's was a very good recent rookie WR season with a decent(+) QB and a very good #1 for comparison.

thunderkyss 06-20-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texans_Chick (Post 2175012)

That anyone clicks on my articles at the Chronicle is the reason why I can go to camp and write things that are details fans care about.

So... what's going on at Reliant right now? Do you think you can get in & strike up a conversation with someone? Cedric Smith? Jeff Zgonina? Marciano?

Maybe an update on the scoreboard?

Something? I'm feemin hard.

Texans_Chick 06-20-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 2175025)
So... what's going on at Reliant right now? Do you think you can get in & strike up a conversation with someone? Cedric Smith? Jeff Zgonina? Marciano?

Maybe an update on the scoreboard?

Something? I'm feemin hard.

It is vacation time. For a while.

And even it is wasn't, you can't just go walking around Reliant with a notepad and camera like Lois Lane scaling mountains in the dark in the arctic. You do interviews at time when interviews can be done--or set them up through PR staff.

So, in other words, this is the time of year where I do analysis focused pieces instead of news focused ones.

infantrycak 06-20-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texans_Chick (Post 2175039)
It is vacation time. For a while.

So, in other words, this is the time of year where I do analysis focused pieces instead of news focused ones.

I think the system focus is a bit misplaced. Have you examined 1st round picks who came into the league to be #2 WRs?