Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Should the Redskins change their name? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100612)

gwallaia 06-13-2013 09:29 AM

Should the Redskins change their name?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ngton-redskins

cuppacoffee 06-13-2013 09:49 AM

Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwallaia (Post 2172798)

There is a team in Louisiana calling themselves the Ragin' Cajuns.

As a RCA I protest this denigration of my ancestry.

Not really..:shades:

Biggest bunch of nonsense ever.

JJ Watt born in Waukesha, Wisconsin. And people call him a Texan?

Wisconsinites should march on Washington and protest.

:coffee:

Corrosion 06-13-2013 10:17 AM

Over sensitive America ....

Too many people worried about what someone else does offending someone ... & the people it might be offensive to aren't the ones making a stink.

Playoffs 06-13-2013 10:26 AM

This has nothing to do with the past, and everything to do with political correctness as a means to exercising power.

WHY LEFT VICIOUSLY ATTACKS RGIII, BEN CARSON
'There's too much political correctness going on in our country'

Quote:

Borelli said the liberal culture fiercely condemns anyone who dares to challenge the ideology of the left, but she said there is special venom reserved for conservative blacks who dare to speak their minds.

“It’s all about control. The people on the left are unable to control people’s words and their actions. When you have someone like RGIII or someone like Dr. Benjamin Carson, even myself, who was vocal about liberty and people being independent and not relying on the government for example, that’s a problem for those on the left who want to control the message,” said Borelli, who noted that the liberal fear of independent thought is especially evident in the hostility aimed at Dr. Carson. She said his life is the embodiment of what is great about America, but his personal ideology makes him a target of scorn from the left instead.

Borelli said the intensity of the criticism aimed at black conservatives comes with a very clear message to all blacks from the liberal establishment.

“That is to set an example for others to not do the same thing, for anyone else to not be vocal about what they really think. Unfortunately, that works. It’s something that is very effective, making people an example of something and no one else is going to step up and challenge the so-called status quo,” Borelli said.

badboy 06-13-2013 10:28 AM

Yes and changed the name of that stupid team in Florida with my picture on the helmet. signed Flipper

Thorn 06-13-2013 10:51 AM

So who is going to admit to voting "yes" on this?

I'm with the others who've posted so far, this PC crap can kiss my ass.

Rey 06-13-2013 10:58 AM

I voted yes just for the entertainment factor.

Would love for the skins to announce they are changing their name just to see all the hoopla around it...

Yvette 06-13-2013 11:11 AM

I'm Native American. Call me a skin to my face and its on.

infantrycak 06-13-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvette (Post 2172838)
I'm Native American. Call me a skin to my face and its on.

How something is said makes a great deal of difference.

Yvette 06-13-2013 11:28 AM

cak, no amount of spin will cause me to feel any different or think it's any less racist and derogatory.

Obviously, what I say and how I feel doesn't matter to the majority of you all either.

Rey 06-13-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvette (Post 2172846)
cak, no amount of spin will cause me to feel any different or think it's any less racist and derogatory.

Obviously, what I say and how I feel doesn't matter to the majority of you all either.

Actually it does matter to me.

I think people that have strong Native American ancestry are the exact people that should be voicing their opinions on this...

infantrycak 06-13-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvette (Post 2172846)

Context is not spin - please don't lower your discourse in that fashion. I respect your opinion. I also take it in context. The polling of Native Americans shows you are in a small minority on this issue.

Dan B. 06-13-2013 11:54 AM

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw a Native American at 31 Flavors last night. Does that make me Indian?

Yvette 06-13-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2172853)
The polling of Native Americans shows you are in a small minority on this issue.

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycent...s_09-24_pr.pdf

A telephone poll? Seriously? Where anyone can claim ancestry? How many of those 768 were really NAI? How many were federally recognized tribes? How many were state? How many of them were cultural? How many were just claiming blood quantum of 1/100?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan B. (Post 2172862)
Does that make me Indian?

Sure, if you answer the phone during a redskins poll.

infantrycak 06-13-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvette (Post 2172869)

A telephone poll? Seriously? Where anyone can claim ancestry? How many of those 768 were really NAI? How many were federally recognized tribes? How many were state? How many of them were cultural? How many were just claiming blood quantum of 1/100?

Apparently not too many were racing to call themselves Native American.

Quote:

This report deals with interviewing conducted from Oct. 7, 2003, through September 20, 2004. In that period 65,047 adults were interviewed, of whom 768 identified themselves as Indians or Native Americans.
That would be 1.2% of people contacted. I am sure there was a conspiracy to skew the results - "hey maybe if I am called on this non-publically announced poll I will claim I am Native American to keep a derogatory name." So seriously right back at ya.

What do you want freaking DNA results? Please by all means state the acceptable "Native American" levels to have an opinion.

And you don't even see the irony in your bringing in "Federal recognition" on this issue?

eriadoc 06-13-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvette (Post 2172869)

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 2172875)
Apparently not too many were racing to call themselves Native American.

That would be 1.2% of people contacted. I am sure there was a conspiracy to skew the results - "hey maybe if I am called on this non-publically announced poll I will claim I am Native American to keep a derogatory name." So seriously right back at ya.

What do you want freaking DNA results? Please by all means state the acceptable "Native American" levels to have an opinion.

And you don't even see the irony in your bringing in "Federal recognition" on this issue?

LOL, this is like a "not black enough" argument. LMAO

Yvette 06-13-2013 12:54 PM

There are almost 3 million NAI from federally recognized tribes. The distinction between federal and state recognition is there for a reason. Anyone can claim NAI blood but to obtain federal recognition you must prove it. Lots of people attempt to claim federal NAI ancestry because of real or imagined benefits. There are also quite a few out there who claim tribal affiliation but are 'adopted' (an honorary status).

If Natives from NAI colleges, reservations, outreach offices were polled, I would give serious consideration to those results, as I would any opinion from cultural Indians.

'In name only' doesn't count and I have no reason to believe those 768 people are anything other than that.

eriadoc 06-13-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvette (Post 2172883)
'In name only' doesn't count and I have no reason to believe those 768 people are anything other than that.

So they're not Indian/Redskin/Native American enough for ya.

I'm either 1/16 or 1/32 Nez Perce. The ancestry is just a little fuzzy, and frankly, I've never given enough of a damn to track it down and clear it up. I've never applied for any sort of recognition or benefits, because in the end, I am an American. That means I am a mutt, just like everyone else here. Only, I embrace it instead of seeking some sort of exclusivity. So where does that attitude fit in your worldview of who should and should not be responding to polls?

Yvette 06-13-2013 01:24 PM

If you don't identify as a Native in ancestry and culture, then your opinion of Native ancestry and culture doesn't count.

toronto 06-13-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 2172830)
So who is going to admit to voting "yes" on this?

I'm with the others who've posted so far, this PC crap can kiss my ass.

I voted yes. Always found the name in poor taste. Just me. Strongly expect to be in a massive minority here.

I don't feel strongly on the subject, I don't have a dog in the fight like Yvette.