Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   [ESPN] FB Vonta Leach eyes Texans return? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100584)

ASidd_1990 06-11-2013 12:16 PM

[ESPN] FB Vonta Leach eyes Texans return?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...ouston-texans?

Quote:

The Baltimore Ravens released three-time Pro Bowl fullback Vonta Leach on Tuesday and re-signed tight end Billy Bajema.

A league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the Ravens tried to trade Leach but were unable to find a taker. His agent, meanwhile, told a Houston television station that his client would like to return to the Houston Texans.

"We've had lots of discussion in the past week with Vonta and his agent, and both parties agreed that it was best to terminate Vonta's contract," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said in a statement

"He played a significant role in helping us get to the AFC Championship Game in 2011 and win the Super Bowl last season. He added to our toughness and will to win, plus he provided leadership. He's a good football player. There could be an opportunity for him to return to the Ravens once he explores the free-agent market, and we could re-visit this before or during training camp."

Leach's agent told KRIV-TV in Houston that the Texans, who Leach played for from 2007-10, are at the top of the fullback's wish list and he would reach out to the team soon to see if they are interested.

"Obviously, which teams you have the best fit at," agent Ralph Vitolo told KRIV-TV. "The most logical fit and the smoothest transition to another team would be Houston because he's already been there.

"He understands the coaches, the scheme. He's worked with Arian Foster and the rest of the offensive line, so it would be a very smooth transition to go back to Houston."

It is unknown if the Texans, who signed veteran fullback Greg Jones earlier this offseason, would be interested in signing Leach.
Thoughts? We already signed Greg Jones and have Tyler Clutts on the roster. But we'd easily have the best run blocker tandem with Jones/Leach.

Do we even have the capspace for him?

Section516 06-11-2013 12:23 PM

Re: [ESPN] FB Vonta Leach eyes Texans return?

If he is eying a Texans return, he should know its going to be on a lower end contract - Otherwise he wouldn't be returning from the Ravens. He knows where our limit was last time, and knows its going to be below that.. Who knows!

EllisUnit 06-11-2013 12:42 PM

Would love to have leach back, but we have jones now. So i dont know if it will happen. I do know Leach made foster a better RB though, and gave him lots of room !

False Start 06-11-2013 12:47 PM

I would love to have the Leachness Monster back. Only thing is what are they gonna do about Greg Jones?

TexanSam 06-11-2013 12:56 PM

I don't think the Texans would have much interest. Leach is better than Greg Jones, but not that much better.

deucetx 06-11-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanSam (Post 2172236)
I don't think the Texans would have much interest. Leach is better than Greg Jones, but not that much better.

Yeah have to agree with this. Not to mention it isn't a position that is on the football too often and Leach was making quite a bit for a FB. If he couldn't restructure that I doubt he'd drop to a number we're okay with.

Thorn 06-11-2013 01:39 PM

As much as I'd love to see him back with us, you won't see Leach coming back to the Texans. To many dollars involved in this one. Still, I'd love to see Leach blocking for Foster again.

Rey 06-11-2013 01:45 PM

I prefer Greg Jones in this offense.

TexanSam 06-11-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 2172267)
I prefer Greg Jones in this offense.

Can he catch the ball? I don't know much about him other than he must be good if he helped MJD run for all those yards even when the rest of the Jags offense was awful.

ChampionTexan 06-11-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 2172262)
As much as I'd love to see him back with us, you won't see Leach coming back to the Texans. To many dollars involved in this one. Still, I'd love to see Leach blocking for Foster again.

Yep - if Leach was totally unconcerned about how much he makes, he'd still be with the Ravens.

The Pencil Neck 06-11-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanSam (Post 2172269)
Can he catch the ball? I don't know much about him other than he must be good if he helped MJD run for all those yards even when the rest of the Jags offense was awful.

Receiving isn't something he's known for. Leach is more of a threat out of the backfield based purely on stats.

But I don't know if that's any issue with Jones' hands or his QBs or the offense he was in.

Goodwrench3 06-11-2013 02:10 PM

would be great. But it is very unlikely to happen

Tesuns 06-11-2013 02:15 PM

Want the player, but don't want his contract. The Texans should add Leach, only if he accepts a discount and lesser of a role, if G.Jones is holding it at that position.

HOU-TEX 06-11-2013 02:18 PM

Too bad he wasn't released around 2 months and 16 days ago. Might've had a chance of coming back

Corrosion 06-11-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 2172281)
Too bad he wasn't released around 2 months and 16 days ago. Might've had a chance of coming back

^^:cool:^^

/end thread.

tru80texan 06-11-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 2172225)
Would love to have leach back, but we have jones now. So i dont know if it will happen. I do know Leach made foster a better RB though, and gave him lots of room !

Eh, I don't know about that. They worked together roughly just a little more then 1 season, which doesn't seem like a whole lot to judge on. Arian did have his best season w/ Leach at the lead but Arian continued to produce pretty well once Leach was gone & actually slightly outproduced Ray Rice in yards over the last 2 seasons who had Leach leading the way for him.

I like Leach, but I think Jones has a bit more to offer if he can stay healthy. Jones has been considered the best FB in the past & having been a former tailback in college & having filled in for MJD in the past in a pinch, I think his physical capabilities outweigh Leach's in terms of being able to run & catch the ball. Jones seemed to be limited in an absolutely horrible offense in Jax, but he still led MJD to being amongst the best despite MJD being the focus of every defense they faced.

Leach may overvalue his skills, which means his price tag will reflect it IMO. I can't see the Texans ditching Jones or stashing Leach on the bench, so I believe Leach may have to look elsewhere for employment. At least he got a ring...

infantrycak 06-11-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru80texan (Post 2172304)
Jones has been considered the best FB in the past & having been a former tailback in college & having filled in for MJD in the past in a pinch

Jones in theory is the better runner but he hasn't received any significant carries in 6 years.

Jones has been considered an excellent lead blocker but the best? You would think he would have some sort of pro-bowl or all-pro accolades and he has none.

Speedy 06-11-2013 03:28 PM

The Texans roll out their 3 TE, 2 FB set.

Thorn 06-11-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy (Post 2172310)
The Texans roll out their 3 TE, 2 FB set.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see that.

Dutchrudder 06-11-2013 03:31 PM

Can we sign Leach and bring back the Wishbone?