Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The National Football League (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Deacon Jones dead at 74 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100473)

Texn4life 06-04-2013 01:16 AM

Deacon Jones dead at 74

Man, I have to say this is one of the first times in a long time I've been sad to hear about an athlete passing. This guy was almost larger than life to me because he was so great, but he reminded me so much of my grandfather who passed away when I was young with his story telling and how real he was. Give a few head slaps up in heaven Deacon!

Deacon Jones passes away at age 74

Quote:

The National Football League has lost one of its legends as Hall of Fame defensive end David (Deacon) Jones has died at the age of 74.

Washington Redskins general manager Bruce Allen relayed the news via the team’s official website. He died of natural causes at his home in Southern California.

“Deacon Jones was one of the greatest players in NFL history. Off the field, he was a true giant. His passion and spirit will continue to inspire those who knew him” said Allen. “He was cherished member of the Allen family and I will always consider him my big brother.”

The Pencil Neck 06-04-2013 02:38 AM

Re: Deacon Jones dead at 74

Aw, no. I loved Deacon Jones. Man was amazing back in the day. Wish they kept sack records from back then. He'd still hold all the sack records. He was the Jim Brown of defensive linemen.

Texn4life 06-04-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 2170272)
Aw, no. I loved Deacon Jones. Man was amazing back in the day. Wish they kept sack records from back then. He'd still hold all the sack records. He was the Jim Brown of defensive linemen.

He was definitely one of the greats, and I hope people aren't fooled by some of his highlights they're showing later in his career when he wasn't quite as mobile. In his prime he was ridiculously quick for his size.

Texan_Bill 06-04-2013 07:23 AM

Just read this... RIP Deacon!!

Playoffs 06-04-2013 07:44 AM

Lamar Lundy, Merlin Olsen, Rosey Grier and Jones

Code:

Unofficial Annual Sack Totals
Year        Sacks        Team
1961        8        Los Angeles Rams
1962        12        Los Angeles Rams
1963        20        Los Angeles Rams
1964        22        Los Angeles Rams
1965        19        Los Angeles Rams
1966        18        Los Angeles Rams
1967        26        Los Angeles Rams
1968        24        Los Angeles Rams
1969        15        Los Angeles Rams
1970        12        Los Angeles Rams
1971        4˝        Los Angeles Rams
1972        6        San Diego Chargers
1973        5        San Diego Chargers
1974        3        Washington Redskins

CloakNNNdagger 06-04-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texn4life (Post 2170269)
Man, I have to say this is one of the first times in a long time I've been sad to hear about an athlete passing. This guy was almost larger than life to me because he was so great, but he reminded me so much of my grandfather who passed away when I was young with his story telling and how real he was. Give a few head slaps up in heaven Deacon!

Deacon Jones passes away at age 74

We lost a true icon of the game..........RIP, Deacon.

From the posted article:

Quote:

Although sacks didn’t become an official statistic until 1982, Jones would be among the best all-time in the category.
This statement is not entirely accurate. Shortly after he coined the term "sack" in 1963, the number of QB sacks were maintained as an official stat. It wasn't until 1982, though, that sacks were assigned to specific defenders.

ObsiWan 06-04-2013 09:56 AM

One of my ALL-TIME favorite players and personalities in football.
Rest In Peace, my man...

...wonder if they allow head slaps in Heaven?
:D

Playoffs 06-04-2013 10:04 AM

"I'm terribly sorry Mr. Farnsworth, this is really embarrassing."

chicagotexan2 06-04-2013 11:06 AM

Deacon Jones' face was scary as hell. Cant imagine being on the business end of this dudes pass rush. A truly great player and nn icon of the NFL.

Double Barrel 06-04-2013 11:58 AM

He was a great interview and media personality. Dude never lost his attitude, even in old age.

I think my favorite Deacon moment was on the Jim Rome show. Deacon was talking about a youth football organization that he worked with over the years. He said he was teaching line techniques, and this 15 year old on the other side was getting cocky and trying to talk down to the "old man". Deacon had a mouth and talked back to him. The youngster threatened to put Deacon on his butt. When the play started, Deacon jumped out and slammed the kid in the chest, probably knocking him back about 10 feet and on his butt. Rome just busted out laughing and thought Deacon was just telling a tall tale. But Deacon was serious. Nobody, not even some 15 year old, could call him out without repercussion.

RIP Deacon Jones.

Heath Shuler 06-04-2013 01:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYmt1dJ7FuQ

RIP

b0ng 06-04-2013 04:52 PM

An unintentionally hilarious clip with Deacon Jones by NFL Films.

http://youtu.be/Lm2l0pxYw-4